Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 415 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been crazy busy since about April or so, and only finally getting some breathing room back into my life.

Despite running a Jurassic website, I am COMPLETELY out of the loop for current Park related news/rumors.

Anyone have a summary of the more recent rumors, and suspected updates inbound - cancelled, postponed, or otherwise?

Re: postponement - is it due to JW2's less than stellar reception?

The most credible rumors we've been hearing regarding new JP-related stuff are the following:

- River Adventure refurbishment, perhaps along the lines of what Hollywood's version of the ride is getting (though perhaps not a full change-over into JURASSIC WORLD branding). Refreshed/new animatronics, things of that nature. The status of this project seems to be that it's moderately likely to happen in the near future (i.e. the next couple of years).

- A new attraction on the site of the former Triceratops Encounter attraction, which has been defunct for many years now. Work is ongoing to remove the old Encounter buildings and support structures, and there have been rumors to indicate that a roller coaster of some kind would take over that plot of land. For a time, some insiders were thinking this might be an imminent project, but the consensus now is that the brakes have been pumped a bit, and if this does happen, we probably won't see any movement on it until next summer once Islands of Adventure's newest ride - the upcoming coaster in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter area - is finished and open.

- And finally, as said in the comment above, there is still the rumor out there that JURASSIC WORLD might be coming to Universal's next theme park as a dedicated land, though we've heard contradictory things from insiders, so it's hard to gauge whether or not this is likely. It's also unclear if the current JP land at Islands of Adventure would remain if JW ends up in another park.

Obviously, these are totally unconfirmed by the company, and these rumors may never end up happening. But any shifting plans would not seem to be the result of FALLEN KINGDOM's reception; regardless of critical or audience reactions to it, it still made a lot of money, and I don't see any reason to believe that Universal would suddenly see more JP stuff as not being a viable investment in the theme parks.

Lots of potential info here. Launched flying coaster? Two launches?

I think the most significant thing he mentions is that (according to what he's heard, at least) there's going to be a section 200 feet tall between the River Adventure show building and the Discovery Center (as viewed from across the lagoon). I'm sure that will get many around these parts excited. Sounds like my worst nightmare for the land, but whatever!

He also throws a little bit of cold water on the prospect of having River Adventure's AA roster fully overhauled -- he says there might be a few changes, but nothing substantial (again, per what he's heard).

I think the most significant thing he mentions is that (according to what he's heard, at least) there's going to be a section 200 feet tall between the River Adventure show building and the Discovery Center (as viewed from across the lagoon). I'm sure that will get many around these parts excited. Sounds like my worst nightmare for the land, but whatever!

He also throws a little bit of cold water on the prospect of having River Adventure's AA roster fully overhauled -- he says there might be a few changes, but nothing substantial (again, per what he's heard).

Doubt it. A 200 ft. coaster section will be seen from Hogsmeade and that's the last thing Uni wants. It also is ruining the division between Kong and JP. From a creative standpoint, I don't like this at all. From a thrill seekers standpoint, I am interested.

I think the 200ft thing could be a fake rumor, just to throw people off. IOA can’t build over two-hundred feet, this might be the first launched flying-coaster built by B&M, and it’s supposed to be close to the ground.

Reactions: Mike S
But why would they go with Intamin? They’re already building one right next door.

Because Universal likes Intamin. Intamin, for all their faults, will build a ride that their employers want. Other companies tend to be tougher to work with for parks like Uni

What's wrong with having 2 Intamins? Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, it's all about the ride itself.

Yea, the park opened with 3 B&M coasters. I don't know why 2 Intamin coasters would be an issue.

I don't know why people automatically assume a ride will be bad/good depending on the manufacturer. B&M has great products but they also deliver some garbage. People despise Vekoma for some reason yet they give us great rides. It really is all about the overall experience.

Reactions: Mike S

I don't think anyone should have been suspecting the River AAs to be significantly updated. They're entirely outdoors/in water. Expecting a huge upgrade just isn't all that possible. I think the only one that would be a significantly updated-type AA would be the Indominus.

What's wrong with having 2 Intamins? Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, it's all about the ride itself.

If the rides are super similar (like if they built an Intamin Blitz on the TE plot), then guests might skip one or the other.

But, when I think about it, the inversions and special elements could separate the two. I’d still prefer the flying-coaster though.

Status
Not open for further replies.