Jurassic World | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Why am I curious to see if the Military Subplot evolves to Isla Sorna. It would certainly make sense to go back there and they already played with the fact that there is a research lab on that island, so if they wiped out the Dinos from The Lost World and just started new with larger rules; I can see that.

How do you know where to send your resume? Do you just know that the film will use the same production group as the first film? Are there separate companies that have teams of lighting techs and gaffers etc.?

I have always wondered about this when I see a production being filmed somewhere; like how did he get chosen to run around holding the lighting fill white board...

Well I was half joking I don't know where to send my resume yet. Normally how it works is the producers hire department heads that they've worked with before then the department heads or their 2nds (the person right under) will hire their crew, which most likely they've worked with before.

If they're happy with the department heads from the first usually they will get hired again if they want to and are available.

There are no separate companies that have teams. Sometimes crew members make their own teams and brand themselves. Such as gypsygrips and Grip-o-rama but thats not incredibly common.

Usually a production will hire a 1st AD then the 1st probably has a 2nd AD they work with. So for the first movie I just emailed my resume to one of the 2nd ADs so if you want to be an AD, Key Set PA, Set PA, or Additional Set PA thats what you do.

If you want to be a Grip you email your resume to the Key Grip or his/her Best Boy. If you want to be a Lighting Technician you email your resume to the Gaffer or his/her Best Boy. If you want to be a Props Assistant you email your resume to the Prop Master or Assistant Prop Master. Etc.

The last show I did I was a key/department head. So I was directly in touch with the producers. Sources such as Production Weekly, my states film commission, and the union are a resource for jobs.

Well I was half joking I don't know where to send my resume yet. Normally how it works is the producers hire department heads that they've worked with before then the department heads or their 2nds (the person right under) will hire their crew, which most likely they've worked with before.

Thank you for replying! I have always been baffled by these teams on the major films. It is sounding like a vast family tree of who the leads know and their leads know etc. I would think it a real pisser getting in on the first branch.

Must be similar on set builds and and final art direction. What a network. Thanks again.

So do Transformers. Which is why we're getting 3-4 more of those.
Yup. I don't want to go too far into it because i'm sure people will rip me apart, but there's a lot of comparisons/similarities between Jurassic World and Sharknado...

Last edited:
Thank you for replying! I have always been baffled by these teams on the major films. It is sounding like a vast family tree of who the leads know and their leads know etc. I would think it a real pisser getting in on the first branch.

Must be similar on set builds and and final art direction. What a network. Thanks again.

It's the same in TV it seems. My wifes cousin is a Production Secretary/Runner and her Facebook Status is always 'Are any of my TV Friends free to work on XX Dates'

Seems to be more who you know than what.

Yup. I don't want to go too far into it because i'm sure people will rip me apart, but there's a lot of comparisons/similarities between Jurassic World and Sharknado...

So do Transformers. Which is why we're getting 3-4 more of those.

I'm not saying you can't like it, but Transformers made money and other than the first one was not well received at all.

I'm not saying you can't like it, but Transformers made money and other than the first one was not well received at all.
Jurassic World was the first Jurassic movie since the original to be Certified fresh on RT at 71%.

It's a great popcorn movie (similar to Sharknado), but I expect zero story out of these movies after this past one. The Transformers movies are popcorn movies. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Sharknado is not a great popcorn movie... It's a terrible movie that people band together on social media to see how ridiculous it is. :lol:
Sharknado is absolutely not great... but it's a great movie to gather around and eat popcorn too! :popcorn:

You actually got it completely backwards. I was replying to Teebin who said that it made a ton of movie so our opinions of it are irrelevant, which is very true. But the same could be the said for TF. I was making a statement about quality not always matching success...

You actually got it completely backwards. I was replying to Teebin who said that it made a ton of movie so our opinions of it are irrelevant, which is very true. But the same could be the said for TF. I was making a statement about quality not always matching success...

I understand. That's why I quoted you :lol:

I was saying TF sequels were complete trash in reviews, but it still made money. JW made a lot of money and had favorable reviews. I was pointing out that JW was a bit more successful outside of B.O.

I understand. That's why I quoted you :lol:

I was saying TF sequels were complete trash in reviews, but it still made money. JW made a lot of money and had favorable reviews. I was pointing out that JW was a bit more successful outside of B.O.

Got it. It just sounded like you were implying that I liked TF, which is the opposite of what I was saying. I was saying that in terms of what they are, they're very similar. Big budget, things go boom films that play on basic crowd pleasing techniques while having screenplays that make little to no sense. JW just has the benefit of the built-in nostalgia for the original JP.

And to head off any counters about the sequels, I'm talking specifically about the first film.

Reactions: Brian G.