Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Knott's Berry Farm

Knotts is a lot smarter as they know getting rid of the Hanging is sacrilegious for them.

why do I think that this is just a way to get views and not try to post something heartfelt and genuine as I will admit..The hanging this year isn't as good as the others. on some things; not saying what are they but just saying some issues.

http://behindthethrills.com/2014/10/knotts-scary-farms-the-hanging-standing-by-offensive-nature-in-latest-show/

No, no, no, no, NO!!! Not Again!!!

Hopefully Knotts is smart enough not to get rid of The Hanging.
Okay, let me straighten some things up:

One, shame on Behind the Thrills for amplifying that writer's platform, and two, do people not understand how websites work?

Here's the skinny: all websites (including us) look at metrics to see what our audience is interested in. If they like a certain feature, column or way we do things, we try to do more of it. That's not to say we cater our content to fit every single request or trend that works, but it does mean we're conscience of what sticks and what doesn't with our general audience. With that in mind, we also try to cater to our audience within the confines of our ethics, values and beliefs. Not all websites do this, but we do, and we think highly enough of our readers to assume that they're not interested in controversy, clickbait or any other misleading content. Many websites err on the site of sensationalism, and in an age where websites derive most of their profit from page views and impressions, it's understandable why. After all, they need to keep the lights on.

But more importantly, websites want to shape discussions and mold the conversation (again, including us). As evidenced by my Twitter feed, this writer from Vice was quite successful in achieving that goal. Whether or not that attention is good is one thing, but the fact of the matter is this: he's shaping the discussion, and he's making you (and me) talk. If you don't agree with his agenda or style, don't read his article, and certainly don't spread his articles around the web. If you know that writer has a history of inflammatory content, why visit his columns again?

Again, writers and websites want to shape the discussion and garner attention. If you don't like what he does and you wish for him to stop, stop talking about his work and stop sharing and visiting his article.

Say what you want about his opinions on Knott's, but he's laughing to the bank, and the theme park community is simply amplifying his voice and increasing his revenue. The worst thing he could ever imagine is if no one cares.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, his attitude is basically a cynical "ugh" rather than some fight for social justice this time around.

That said, Knott's is way tinier of a presence than Universal. If they allowed the writer of this year's Hanging to go in this direction, I'm guessing they also don't give a single crap about what this awful buzzkill has to say.

All Haunt fans (including myself) reading that article...

Simpsons_angry_mob.png

So I've completed my visit to Knott's Scary Farm and, I must admit, I was pretty disappointed. I will admit that I may have had a chip on my shoulder because I will always view HHN as the superior Halloween event, but this year just wasn't that great.

My experience this year was mostly ruined because of the guests. HHN may get flak for not selling alcohol, but I understand it completely - man, is it annoying having crowds of drunk people stumbling around the park. Not only that, but I came across so many rude people too. As I'm watching The Hanging for the first time, people are pushing past me like bulls in a china shop, and I eventually have a man come up in front of me telling me he and his group are trying to get by, so he grabs my shoulder and just moves me out of the way. On top of that, there are people line cutting the never-ending queues and being downright aggressive for no reason.

Line organization this year was an absolute atrocity, as lines began to swell quickly out of the makeshift queues and clog up walkways. Certain mazes closed temporarily because there simply wasn't enough room for everyone to stand in line.

As I mentioned earlier, I watched The Hanging for the first time this year. I apologize now for those who really adore the show, but.. bleh. To me, the jokes were lame, the stunts and pop culture references were random, and it just seemed like they were trying so hard. Bill and Ted always managed to weave all of these elements in naturally, and it worked. I wouldn't count myself a fan of this show.

As for the mazes themselves... Meh. While I must admit that Voodoo was very impressive, the rest were mediocre or worse. Part of it has to do with my preference for IP-based maze experiences, but some of the mazes just weren't very scary to me. Many of the maze attendants throughout the mazes dressed in black were also quite intrusive to the experience. Many are standing noticeably in a room pressing brightly lit buttons to activate certain effects, while others are on their phones and not doing their job. My last gripe is that nearly all of the mazes attempt to create a grand finale with a large puppet or some sort (almost as if trying to recreate this year's legendary AVP finale), but the effect just comes across as lame. Many are connected to a large, creaky, clearly visible apparatus that is just quite laughable to be honest.

In the end, I'll probably end up going with friends again next year. In my mind, however, HHN (despite its drawbacks this year) still beat Knott's by a landslide.

^ I'm actually really surprised you had that type of experience at Knott's.

At least from my visit, the clientele couldn't be any more different between both events. What you described above sounds like the crowd I've always experienced at Halloween Horror Nights without fail. Loud, obnoxious and usually just plain awful.

Likewise with the organization of the event. Our experience couldn't have been more pleasant, and while lines did close, employees were very clear about where to wait should they open back up.

Perhaps Knott's had a bad night, but it's fascinating how our experiences couldn't have been more different.

Our experience couldn't have been more pleasant, and while lines did close, employees were very clear about where to wait should they open back up.
Ha! My group tried going to Pinocchio Unstrung and the woman holding the sign for the maze kept yelling at everyone to leave and come back later, and that we couldn't wait near the entrance. Jeez.

I think we just might know what the name of the new dark ride is going to be.

Voyage to the Iron Reef

Cedar Fair has been working with Triotech. I guess it'll be something like this:

IDR_Zombie2.jpg

I could see a combo of 3D, sets, and Garner Holt animatronics. We'll find out officially very soon.

Yup! My friend said they're actively working on the interior of the old Dinosaur building.

Pity though. I'm sure the ride is gonna be cool and is much needed at Knotts, but I hope it'll feature animatronics and sets as well. Sad to go from a ride with many animatronic dinosaurs to a 3D shooting ride.

Interesting, because they already have a laser tag thing at that site right? Yes, Knotts needs a ride like that I believe...I am  very excited though, for the prospect of a new ride at the park that can draw families in. Things like the windseeker are more for thrill seekers I think. (And I'd rather not get stuck up there for three hours)

IDR_Zombie2.jpg

I could see a combo of 3D, sets, and Garner Holt animatronics. We'll find out officially very soon.
That's be fascinating if they could combine animatronics and 3D interaction. I'd be like Men in Black on the west coast.

Don't disappoint Knott's!

That's be fascinating if they could combine animatronics and 3D interaction. I'd be like Men in Black on the west coast.

Don't disappoint Knott's!
I wouldn't hold your breath.

Remember, this will be a dark ride built with Cedar Fair level of budget.

Cedar Fair and Triotech newest dark ride:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3CBuC6EZgnM?feature=oembed

If Knott's new dark ride is anything like Wonder Mountains Guardian, they will be the laughing stock of SoCal. I really hope Cedar Fair gives this dark ride a proper budget, because a Wonder Mountains Guardian level of quality won't fly out here in SoCal with Disney and Universal just a short drive away.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Remember, this will be a dark ride built with Cedar Fair level of budget.
Of course, but I'd still consider it somewhat entertaining even if it was laughably bad. There's something endearing about mediocre attractions.

But on a series note, I think Knott's recognizes their place in the market and they'll cater accordingly with a relatively decent offering. I don't get the impression that they're inspiring to reach the first tier.

I think they'll try and reach for first tier status with this new ride. The remade Timber Mountain and Log Rides have both been remade as absolutely top of the line Disney quality rides. And with Universal and Disney ramping up even more future additions, I think Knotts will try and finally jump in the game.