Kraken Unleashed | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Kraken Unleashed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aged the best because it isn't ran like the other coasters....

I think its a fun great ride but the VR is a bad move. If you have to add VR to a coaster then it's probably done. Just my opinion though.
Remember that wearing the VR is optional. It can stay in the pouch if you choose to not to wear it. Rendering the ride the same as before.

I think this was just their easiest way to get VR into the park. Manta already has a gimmick (unique seating position) and Mako is new and a hyper, so that only left Kraken.

There's nothing wrong with the coaster, just that the views were never really spectacular so they didn't mind adding VR (and hopefully some media attention through the Pandora/Volcano hype this Summer.)

Also, I'm riding it in an hour so I'll Post what I think of the VR.

IMO Kraken is done. They needed to tare this coaster down (Maybe not for capacity purposes) but still.
I'll give it a shot though.
Unfortunately not every park can re-track rides like Universal...I wish

Kraken used to be my favorite coaster in Florida until ShieKra came along...I would be super sad if it ever left

Aged the best because it isn't ran like the other coasters....

I think its a fun great ride but the VR is a bad move. If you have to add VR to a coaster then it's probably done. Just my opinion though.

I don't think it really matters how many times it's been run.

I think VR if anything extends the life of a coaster but let's be real. This isn't about extending the life of Kraken, VR is a relatively cheap add on and SeaWorld needed something this summer. Universal have VB and Fallon and Disney have Avatar.

It's a small addition to the parks but it's better than nothing.

Reactions: Alicia
Quesy level: VERY HIGH

It looks very clear and incredibly high quality and the scope is nice for a small screen; better than my iPhone in a cardboard box VR by far.

But I felt a little claustrophobic at times and some things on screen didn't match the movements enough so can be super disorienting.

Was pretty cool once but honestly not sure I'll do it again.

Note: I NEVER get motion sickness. So either it's the too much Chinese food before riding, the ride film wasn't perfectly synced, or maybe VR coasters just aren't for me.

Last edited:
But I felt a little claustrophobic at times and some things on screen didn't match the movements enough so can be super disorienting.

I would venture to say that that's at least 90% of the issue. If the video isn't synced properly to the motions, your brain will basically crap itself in confusion.

I remember back when VR coasters were introduced, everyone was sure it would cause motion sickness, but as soon as they started rolling out, those fears generally went away. With the VR experiences they've done at Six Flags GA, I haven't heard of any motion sickness issues, and the videos were synced perfectly.

I would venture to say that that's at least 90% of the issue. If the video isn't synced properly to the motions, your brain will basically crap itself in confusion.

I remember back when VR coasters were introduced, everyone was sure it would cause motion sickness, but as soon as they started rolling out, those fears generally went away. With the VR experiences they've done at Six Flags GA, I haven't heard of any motion sickness issues, and the videos were synced perfectly.
They're tweaking it still. I spoke to the tech people. Seems mine was like a half second off for most if it. Team member said the front row (and back) can be off more than the rest.

They have a bunch of laptops out tweaking as riders give feedback.

IMG_7010.JPG

They're tweaking it still. I spoke to the tech people. Seems mine was like a half second off for most if it. Team member said the front row (and back) can be off more than the rest.

Glad to hear it! If you decide to brave it again after they finish tweaking, I'd love to know if your opinion changes! From what I know about VR, even being just half a second off can be killer.

View attachment 4685

I assume that every row has different timing?

Upon saying that, does the VR change on the fly as the ride varies (How many riders and weather)?

Also sounds like it needs some of that middle out compression from Pied Piper.

Reactions: tyro
I assume that every row has different timing?

Upon saying that, does the VR change on the fly as the ride varies (How many riders and weather)?

Also sounds like it needs some of that middle out compression from Pied Piper.
Yes, it changes as needed on the fly. Mine went into a little slow motion on the lift hill to get into sync, but still wasn't enough to be perfect. It can skip frames to catch up to it sounds like after talking with them.

The movie itself is done beautifully and it a much higher quality than I was expecting for a small device to be able to handle graphics-wise.

Glad to hear it! If you decide to brave it again after they finish tweaking, I'd love to know if your opinion changes! From what I know about VR, even being just half a second off can be killer.
I'll definitely try it again after it's officially open to compare. I was a little caught off guard the first time, seeing as I never get motion sickness on anything. Heck, I'm the wacko that goes upside-down on the Gravitron at the county fair. Hopefully next time will be better synced, cause I really do like the story they created for the ride. Fits very well.

EDIT: I love Silicon Valley, Scott Walker just reminded me I haven't been watching the new season yet. Thanks!

Can Atlantis be seen in the VR? Cameo? I heard they were trying to link both attractions' storyline.
Atlantis plays a major role in the final portion of the storyline, (my favorite bit) and they made it look like the attraction even.

It's cool because you're actually facing Atlantis in real life when you see it in VR, so kinda blurs the line between reality and VR at that moment.

Atlantis plays a major role in the final portion of the storyline, (my favorite bit) and they made it look like the attraction even.

It's cool because you're actually facing Atlantis in real life when you see it in VR, so kinda blurs the line between reality and VR at that moment.

That's really cool, I just hope they tear up Atlantis inside and re theme better, which I believe there will be changes, just hoping they put some time and love to it.... Do Not Touch The Track though.

So...how long can we expect VR to remain on Kraken? Six Flags only seems to keep theirs on for a season on their coasters. Personally I hope it only lasts through the rest of this year and they remove it. I will say my nephew will probably enjoy it with VR when he comes with me for his first visit in September for his birthday. I'll make sure he rides it at least once without it though.

So...how long can we expect VR to remain on Kraken? Six Flags only seems to keep theirs on for a season on their coasters. Personally I hope it only lasts through the rest of this year and they remove it. I will say my nephew will probably enjoy it with VR when he comes with me for his first visit in September for his birthday. I'll make sure he rides it at least once without it though.
It seems to me that they plan on keeping it VR for the foreseeable future. There are plenty of new how to videos in the queue, signage, and the headsets are all custom with SeaWorld logos. This seems pretty permanent to me. The new queue theming is boring to go along with the sea lab storyline in the VR too. No more Kraken legends paintings on the walls. Just colorful shapes.

That's really cool, I just hope they tear up Atlantis inside and re theme better, which I believe there will be changes, just hoping they put some time and love to it.... Do Not Touch The Track though.
Atlantis was closed today for annual refurbishment. Again. Even though it was already closed a couple months ago for new lighting updates.