Let's play being head of Universal Creative... | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Let's play being head of Universal Creative...

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The reason I placed Bourne--as more as a template IP than anything.

If I was in charge of the park's expansion planning, I'd replace Mummy with Jurassic World (make it completely a mini-land). Cut Transformers and Studio Deli for a SNW expansion (DK) for the Lower Lot, and have Animal Actors removed (with a new animal Care facility made somewhere around the studio backlot, like at the old Prop Depot spot) and Special Effects Show removed to combine for one large E-Ticket attraction.
I also think Super Silly Fun land could use another flat. Freeze Ray Sliders or whatever's coming to Beijing.

Reactions: Suchomimus
So what would your vision of IoA look like?
So... I finally got around to putting this together.

221B1A78-4806-4566-AF93-EB8EDFA9ED8D.jpg

(I added Hagrid’s and VelociCoaster since they aren’t on Google Earth yet.)

We’ll start with Lost Continent. I’ve discussed these ideas before. As much as I want to do away with Lost Continent, it still provides something completely unique to Orlando. As such, I’m keeping it. The west side retains its bazaar theme, and Sinbad becomes an omni-mover going through various vignettes from 1,001 Arabian Nights. This includes Sinbad, Aladdin, and Ali Baba. It’s family friendly, with a pop-up storybook aesthetic (think the Tooth Facade, only bright watercolor) that hues closer to Runaway Railway but without the hard edge of that style. Adjacent to the ride’s south is a small stage for a Scheherazade story/puppet show.

Poseidon becomes a Clash of the Titans attraction. Loosely inspired by the movie(s), this Indy-style attraction has guests riding alongside Perseus as he joins his father, Zeus, and the other gods in a high-thrill battle against the re-emergent Titans.

Moving clock-wise into Seuss, you would think I’d go with Mount Crumpit coaster. Nope. I’m going a different route that fills a role IoA doesn’t have. “The Places You’ll Go” is a Despicable Me-style simulator where guests travel through various Seuss books and worlds (Who-ville, Lorax, Horton, Yertle, If I Ran the Circus, The Butter Battle) chased by the Grinch. This is old-school Universal, in the same vein as Hanna Barbara and Jimmy Neutron, and allows a bunch of characters to get featured.

In Marvel, we get X-Men: Danger Room. It enters between Fantastic Four Cafe and Storm Force, putting both X-Men attractions side-by-side. This is more of a C/D attraction, taking the interactive coaster concept and putting it on a mid-size kid-coaster. The gravity building is set up more like Guardians—open with projections—which works for a low-thrill attraction like this.

Lastly, we get to the Trolls Bridge. This serves as a sub-land to Toon Lagoon, highlighted by an original Trolls World Tour show in a newly enclosed theater. A spiritual successor to Tarzan Rocks! that’s predominately live singing and stunts with occasional character appearances. Across from it is the Dance Party flat ride, featuring Trollex, in a high-energy trackless flat that Disney seems to love. The Poppy Pop is a themed Zamperla Nebulaz.

Last edited:
So... I finally got around to putting this together.

View attachment 13776

(I added Hagrid’s and VelociCoaster since they aren’t on Google Earth yet.)

We’ll start with Lost Continent. I’ve discussed these ideas before. As much as I want to do away with Lost Continent, it still provides something completely unique to Orlando. As such, I’m keeping it. The west side retains its bazaar theme, and Sinbad becomes an omni-mover going through various vignettes from 1,001 Arabian Nights. This includes Sinbad, Aladdin, and Ali Baba. It’s family friendly, with a pop-up storybook aesthetic (think the Tooth Facade, only bright watercolor) that hues closer to Runaway Railway but without the hard edge of that style. Adjacent to the ride’s south is a small stage for a Scheherazade story/puppet show.

Poseidon becomes a Clash of the Titans attraction. Loosely inspired by the movie(s), this Indy-style attraction has guests riding alongside Perseus as he joins his father, Zeus, and the other gods in a high-thrill battle against the re-emergent Titans.

Moving clock-wise into Seuss, you would think I’d go with Mount Crumpit coaster. Nope. I’m going a different route that fills a role IoA doesn’t have. “The Places You’ll Go” is a Despicable Me-style simulator where guests travel through various Seuss books and worlds (Who-ville, Lorax, Horton, Yertle, If I Ran the Circus, The Butter Battle) chased by the Grinch. This is old-school Universal, in the same vein as Hanna Barbara and Jimmy Neutron, and allows a bunch of characters to get featured.

In Marvel, we get X-Men: Danger Room. It enters between Fantastic Four Cafe and Storm Force, putting both X-Men attractions side-by-side. This is more of a C/D attraction, taking the interactive coaster concept and putting it on a mid-size kid-coaster. The gravity building is set up more like Guardians—open with projections—which works for a low-thrill attraction like this.

Lastly, we get to the Trolls Bridge. This serves as a sub-land to Toon Lagoon, highlighted by an original Trolls World Tour show in a newly enclosed theater. A spiritual successor to Tarzan Rocks! that’s predominately live singing and stunts with occasional character appearances. Across from it is the Dance Party flat ride, featuring Trollex, in a high-energy trackless flat that Disney seems to love. The Poppy Pop is a themed Zamperla Nebulaz.
Thank you for introducing concepts that don't knock out Toon Lagoon and Lost Continent and introduce a bunch of indoor rides. Wondering what would be included in a Mythos retheme if you maintain it.

...The west side retains its bazaar theme, and Sinbad becomes an omni-mover going through various vignettes from 1,001 Arabian Nights. This includes Sinbad, Aladdin, and Ali Baba. It’s family friendly, with a pop-up storybook aesthetic (think the Tooth Facade, only bright watercolor) that hues closer to Runaway Railway but without the hard edge of that style. Adjacent to the ride’s south is a small stage for a Scheherazade story/puppet show.
I like it but the context of the stories of 1001 is a bit too adult I think. Not sure if you know (Disney skips over it for whatever reason) but it's about sultan Sjahriaar who's wife had made love with one of her slaves. He kills both of them and marries a virgin, after the night he let her get killed and marries a new one so he never will be hurt again. This goes on and on (great fairytale, right). One girl wants to stop the killing and asked to be married to the sultan. After they made love she tells him an exciting story but withholds the end. The sultan wants to know the end and spares her life. The next night she finishes the story and starts a new one (and on and on).

I like it but the context of the stories of 1001 is a bit too adult I think. Not sure if you know (Disney skips over it for whatever reason) but it's about sultan Sjahriaar who's wife had made love with one of her slaves. He kills both of them and marries a virgin, after the night he let her get killed and marries a new one so he never will be hurt again. This goes on and on (great fairytale, right). One girl wants to stop the killing and asked to be married to the sultan. After they made love she tells him an exciting story but withholds the end. The sultan wants to know the end and spares her life. The next night she finishes the story and starts a new one (and on and on).
Cinderella's sisters get their toes cut off, Ariel turns into sea foam, the sister in the Ice Queen gets glass in her eyes.

Like you said they just ignore it or change it if they need to. I'm certain multiple versions of these stories already exist which omit certain elements for children.

Thank you for introducing concepts that don't knock out Toon Lagoon and Lost Continent and introduce a bunch of indoor rides. Wondering what would be included in a Mythos retheme if you maintain it.
I’d retheme it to a “Mount Olympus,” Parthenon-style aesthetic. It keeps the name and menu. Columns and Cyprus, instead of the rustic, wood feel. Confisco, Hogshead, and Mythos all feel too dark and samey. This shifts one of them into something completely different.
I’m very aware. But most “fairy tales” are horrific in their original context. The sultan wouldn’t be seen in the ride. It’s focused entirely on Scheherazade as a narrator (with no additional context) and the stories themselves.

As much as I love Poseidon's Fury, I particularly like these ideas.

Especially if the Clash attraction featured an encounter with an animatronic Kraken!
clash1.jpg

I'd build a Ghostbusters ride in the vein of Tower of Terror with a twist.

The ride starts out as an indoor coaster like Space Mountain (or the Mummy without all the slow set pieces). You see a projected Slimer ahead of you and hear the Ghostbusters yell, "Let's get him" as you launch into the ride and the Ghostbusters theme is blasting the whole ride. There will be projected (or, gulp, screens) of Slimer with lights on the walls to mimic the proton beams. So the whole first part of the ride is a dark coaster with cool lighting effects. Then the first part ends with a ghost containment unit thing capturing Slimer. Maybe you throw in the, "We got one!" audio (which, I know, that's not said when they catch a ghost). This replaces the slow part of Terror of Terror where you're going around seeing the ghosts.

Then you hear big earth shaking foot steps as the coaster cars slowly turn sideways while locking into place on the launch platform. You then shoot skyward and doors open with a giant animatronic Stay Puff head looking back at you. And the light gag again with you shooting with proton packs. Then you hear Dan Akroyd yell, "take out it's knees!" and it drops you down and then opens up the doors and you're by it's legs, then you hear Ernie Hudson yell, "I think he's going to try to eat us" or something as you rocket back up to the head area, then Bill Murray yells, "it's time to play dirty!" and you shoot back down to his mid section if you know what I mean. Lastly, it rockets back up higher than ever before and a fake door opens and it's a screen with the Stay Puft head and you're protoning the crap out of it and it's melting and stuff. At the end, Bill Murray says, "We came, we saw, we kicked it's a...." and is interruped by another Ghostbuster saying "....ctually, we pretty much melted it's face off." You'd need some Egon audio in there, but can't think of anything already recorded by him that would fit off the top of my head. Then you fall back down to the ground, the and it re-engages with the coaster track and you go to the end of the ride and disembark.

From the outside, it would be a giant building where the coaster is and it would have something cool on the walls or some night time projection mapping or whatever. Maybe a couple demon dogs on the roof with red eyes that light up at dusk. Then the tower would be the 55 Central Park high rise with a HUGE Stay Puft climing it like King Kong with it's animatronic head moving back and forth whenever the riders make it up to that part and stuff.

Feasible? Probably not. Practical? Not at all. Room for it? Doubt it. Rights issues? Maybe. Would it cost a billion dollars? Who knows. But it's a ride I've always wanted to see.

Oh man that would be sick. I enjoy Transformers just fine but with a bit more physical sets and an elevator drop, it'd be one of the best rides in Orlando.

The idea of a Tower of Terror Ghostbusters ride is a great combination.

If it takes up the same size of foot print as Transformers, it could fit in the space behind where the fire house facade is if you remove HRRR. A tall building wouldn't look out of place in New York.

ghostbusters.jpg

Ideally, you'd want this to be a shooting type ride similar to MIB. With AR looking to be a successful application with Mario Kart and soon to be Spider-Man at DCA, it could really add an extra element to it. Shape them around Ray's night vision goggles:

699_8811976574.jpg

Having a proton pack would be a nice gimmick and give you something to use to shoot but if there's a drop like ToT, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. I don't know how you would blend the two together. Transformers has two lifts, if you extend them, that gives you the drop.

What other classic rides could you bring back to USF with new patents?

If you create a shooting game with Ghostbusters, you could remove MIB since you don't need two of the same type of rides in the same park.

There is a lot of room between MIB and Fear Factor. Enough for a decent sized coaster:

bttf coaster 2.jpg

I'm bringing back the BTTF coaster idea but using the Donkey Kong patent.

bttf coaster.jpg

For the start, I've got a vision of California Screamin' with the launch on the water. The DeLorean would look like it's flying above the water, have flames being left for the expected effect.

You could go two ways with it. Have it be an 88mph launch coaster which the ride system could probably take but you would need to instantly slow the train down before it hits any type of corner. You can claim the fastest coaster in Orlando. Immediately after the launch, you go into a show building. Going from outside to inside could sell the time travel aspect. Inside the show building, you're in whatever time period you want to be. 1950s Hill Valley, go back and see some Dinosaurs like the original ride, go into the future and see whatever.

USF needs a water ride and since you've already brought back Kong in IOA, BTTF and Ghostbusters, you might as well bring back Jaws. USF needs a water ride and Dudley fits in right behind Simpsons replacing part of Kidzone.

jaws usf.jpg
jaws log flume.jpg

I don't really have a story for this, I just thought it would be a fun thing to add. Really push for that movie magic.