Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Let's play being head of Universal Creative...

Aug 7, 2018
So we all know Fantastic Worlds is coming, with stuff to be announced this Thursday. We really only know SNW is likely to be going there, and thats about it. So, if you were the head of Universal Creative (as we all know we want to be), what would you do at the current UOR to make some improvements/adjustments before FW opens? Try to be realistic enough budget wise, but still have fun. 10 attractions won't be coming to Universal in the next 3 years prior to the new park opening rumored for 2023, and the few years following.

Anyways, here is currently what is rumored/announced:

2019/2020: Bourne Stunt Show

2020: Dockside Resort

2021: JP/JW Coaster, possible refurb of JPRA.

So with that being said, here are the improvements/updates id make to make the resort as strong as possible prior to opening the new park.

- Open Bourne in 2020 with another show at IOA. I think having SING in the toon lagoon theatre is the easiest filler they could possibly have. Along with crowds coming for JW and Hagrid, just makes sense. IOA needs some kind of show anyways!!

- Volcano Bay expansion. I think this is technically rumored but I'm not sure how strong that rumor is. Either way with adding 2 strong shows and expanding your water park, just diversifies their attractions and lineup. I never see that as a bad thing.

2021: New originally themed restaurant in CityWalk. Take out Bob Marley's and add something in there to open along with JW.
JP would be rethemed to Jurassic World, with Dinosaurs roaming throughout the land, new restaurant, revamped River Adventure, and the new coaster. Basically an entire new land and advertise it as such!
New parade to USF.

2022: Secret Life of Pets replaces Shrek. Much needed dark ride with practical effects. Something that we all know has been needed at USF for quite some time. I don't see another animation property being as strong for a ride as this one. Easy choice I know, but it just makes the most sense to me.
Not sure if theres room, but id add another Cabana Bay tower with a value restaurant attached.

2023: Fantastic Worlds opening with 4 worlds, Super Nintendo World, Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them, Dreamworks properties including How To Train Your Dragon- Shrek- Madagascar- and Trolls, and Universal's Classic Monsters. Along with a new hotel and smaller than CityWalk restaurant/shopping area. Including some major Nintendo themed store.

2024: New hotel on South property, Kung Fu Panda opens at USF.

2025: Lord Of The Rings and Pokemon opens at Fantastic Worlds.

Meant to be a fun and harmless thread, so please treat it as such. Enjoy everyone and post yours!

2019: Borne opens where T2 once was.

2020: Major Volcano Bay expansion. New slides, new areas, new hotel, etc.

2021: JP becomes Jurassic World. River Adventure gets rethemed, new coaster opens, as well as a new sit down and a new quick service restaurant. Imo JP is heavily lacking in the food department, and placing at least one of the restaurants on or near the main path could really help it out.

2022: SLOP: Off the Leash comes to USF. I know that logically it would go in place of Shrek, but I can't help but want it in the New York area. My dream is that the 2 story dark ride's que takes the place of the arcade and maybe Mummy's Gift shop (With Mummy just having a regular exit?), with the dark ride proper being built on a new second floor show building that would overlap both the que, and mummy's ride building.

2023: FANTASTIC WORLDS OPENS. Super Ninendo World (Mario Kart, Yoshi's Adventure, Donkey Kong Minecart Coaster), Universal Classic Monsters World (All Monsters Dark Ride, Dracula's Castle Indoor Thrill Ride Frankenstein Coaster), DreamWorks Animation World (How to Train Your Dragon Coaster, KFP Adventure, Trolls Dark Ride), Wizarding World of Harry Potter: London (Ministry of Magic Screen Ride, Fantastic Beasts Dark Ride, Wizard Stunt Show), 5th Land?

Trying to keep this plausible, and ignoring wider resort developments like hotels and water park stuff...

IOA
2021 - In conjunction with the new Jurassic coaster, add 2 - 3 dinosaur paddocks throughout the land, featuring dinosaur animatronics. Refresh the interior (but not the exterior) of the Discovery Center.
2022 - Some kind of major show put in either the Sindbad or Toon Lagoon Theater locations.

USF
2022 - SLOP dark ride replaces Shrek 4D
2024 - Trolls D/E-ticket boat ride is added to KidZone, potentially as a standalone, or as a full retheme of the that entire area. If a retheme, add 1 - 2 additional flat rides.

I would like to see a whole lot more at USF, but I don’t think more is at all likely.

For the sake of not guessing after Universal's Epic Universe..

USF
New Nighttime parade show (borrowing elements from Universal Spectacle but with new scenes [Potter, Minion's, and Transformers from Osaka comes in, with Troll's and Dragons added in]), 2020
Secret Life of Pets: Off The Leash comes to replace Shrek 4D, 2022

IOA
A new nighttime show comes to IOA, alongside changes to improve flow and add viewing area's across the park for the show, 2022

Trying to keep this plausible, and ignoring wider resort developments like hotels and water park stuff...

IOA
2021 - In conjunction with the new Jurassic coaster, add 2 - 3 dinosaur paddocks throughout the land, featuring dinosaur animatronics. Refresh the interior (but not the exterior) of the Discovery Center.
2022 - Some kind of major show put in either the Sindbad or Toon Lagoon Theater locations.

USF
2022 - SLOP dark ride replaces Shrek 4D
2024 - Trolls D/E-ticket boat ride is added to KidZone, potentially as a standalone, or as a full retheme of the that entire area. If a retheme, add 1 - 2 additional flat rides.

I would like to see a whole lot more at USF, but I don’t think more is at all likely.

I wish that they had re-themed Rockit to F&F, put Kong where F&F actually went and put an AE-style show at the TL-side entrance (oh yeah, and just made Fallon a museum). "Indominus"--maybe using CoP the ride system? I would picture a security guard or something giving a distress signal over the radio that gets cut off by screams, and then (with the power out) the sound of dinosaur footsteps getting closer and closer...and then a loud thud, and electric sparks illuminating a severed leg landed on the floor in front of us. Complete of course with getting breathed on/drooled on/licked.

And as much as I'm looking forward to the JP coaster, I kinda wish it were using a lift hill--something like Skyrush or Expedition GeForce.

As far as realistic additions, SLoP would be a good fit to replace either the TL theatre or Shrek. And yes, as criminally underrated as I find Poseidon's Fury, I'm afraid it's time for a certain elf to put the final arrow through LC's dying heart.

Last edited:
I thought about SLOP for Toon Lagoon, but I really don't think IOA needs anything major for a while in the same way I feel USF does. Would I take it? Sure. Both parks could use more all-ages dark rides in a somewhat more classical style, but I firmly believe USF needs them more at this moment in history.

Here's my vision if I were Creative/head of Universal (somewhat realistic):

Universal announces a massive overhaul of OUR. Breakdown of each section below:

IOA:
- Popeye flat ride, replaces Wimpy's (which is never open).
2021 - Massive JW overhaul including JW River Ride, JW Coaster, restaurants/Isla Nu-bar, etc.
--Skull Island becomes a legitimate mini-land by stealing Thunder Falls and the rock-climbing-wall (moved closer to Skull Island ride entrance), which are both completely rethemed for a Skull Island/jungle theme.
2022 - Where's Waldo: Splash - MIB style ride with water guns instead of lasers (splash the Waldo impostors!). - Replaces Toon Lagoon Amphitheater.
Also in 2022 - The Hogsmeade photo-op train is moved right outside the Hogsmeade Station entrance (replaces the trees). Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop replaces old train photo-op spot, and serves hot beverages & baked goods.
2024 - Zelda replaces Lost Continent, including e-ticket at old Sindbad location and overhaul of Poseidon and Mythos.
2025 - Green Eggs and Ham demolished (since it's never open), One Fish Two Fish moved to Green Eggs and Ham spot. Mt. Crumpit built in old One Fish Two Fish spot + land behind it.

USF:
- Jason Bourne (replaces T2)
2020 - Transformers mini-land takes over the closed smoking section (see smoking ban below). Bumble-Bee tea cup flat ride added (clone from Beijing). Transformers themed drinks/food added (something small, not a full restaurant). Expanded meet and greet section.
2021 - SLoP replaces Shrek. Production Way phased out for Illumination Way. The outdoor stage is used for a Sing show (on non-event days). Monster's Cafe is replaced with an Illumination themed restaurant.
2022 - Night Bus replaces F&F. London overhaul replaces San Fran, including London/potter themed full service restaurant (replaces Lombard's) and quick serve restaurant (replaces Richter)
2024 - Ghost Busters overhaul/retheme of The Mummy.
2025 - Ministry of Magic: London replaces Fear Factor.
2026 - KidZone is still open. :p

Volcano Bay:
- expansion space used for new slides/etc.
At some point in the future - Universal Creative building closed, Creative moved to new Universal HQ (see below), and additional VB expansion is built into this space.

UOR General Updates:
  • Smoking is banned in all theme parks/water parks. Smoking section kept in CW.
  • Annual Passholder loyalty program added. Earn points for frequent visits, spending money, referring friends, etc. Points redeemable for food/drinks, photos, express passes, etc.
  • A new Universal HQ campus is announced, includes space for Creative, Marketing, executives, HR, etc. Built with the idea of attracting and retaining top talent. Frees up back of house space for potential additional expansion at IOA and USF.
And Epic Worlds/Fantastic Worlds opens in 2023 of course, with Fantastic Beasts Paris (Newt attraction and a Dumbledore attraction), DreamWorks (HTTYD), Classic Monsters (Dracula attraction and Frankenstein attraction), and the largest section with multiple lands: Nintendo, including Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon.

Last edited:
2020 - Bourne opens at T2, it actually surprises everyone by utilizing the motion theater system and becomes one of the park's top attractions. Volcano Bay expansion opens with a new slide or two and a full-service restaurant.

2021 - JP becomes JW - entire land gets a refresh. Additional experiences added including extra paddocks with dinosaur AAs/puppets. Margaritaville closes in CityWalk to become a themed restaurant - Thunder Falls Terrace closes to become Margaritaville Isla Nublar.

2022 - Shrek 4D becomes a SLOP dark-ride, Classic Monsters Café closes to become *sigh* Gru's Lab Café, while the Shrek/Donkey meet and greet is replaced by a SLOP meet and greet. Production Central is now Illumination Way.

2023 - FANTASTIC WORLDS. Complete with Super Nintendo World, Classic Monsters World, DreamWorld (DreamWorks), and *SUPRISE* a non-IP based hub/land themed as a fantasy world-style village. Like these: fantasy world village - Google Search

2024 - Toon Lagoon becomes NickToon Lagoon. The entire area of Dudley Do Right and Popeye's are themed to Bikini Bottom, with a Krusty Krab quick-service replacing Wimpy's. Dudley is now themed to SpongeBob getting his drivers' license, with him "controlling" your boat. This will feature some solid AAs of almost all the characters with one impressive SpongeBob AA. It ends with a plunge into Rock Bottom. Popeyes remains a raft ride that now takes you through Jellyfish Fields. The rest of Toon Lagoon is themed to different properties, while the TL theater and Comic Strip Café are brought down for a dark ride featuring a bunch of other Nickelodeon characters.

2025 - Kidzone is still there, sorry fellas.

USF:

2020: Bourne
2022: kidszone is replaced by a Trolls dark ride and Kung Fo Panda boat ride
2023: Mummy Refurb with a added new audio animatronic, lighting and effects with projection mapping
2024: Fast & Furious replaced by a new F&F dueling story coaster and Rip ride & Shrek is taken down and replaced for SLOP and Sing rides and Monsters Cafe and Bone Chillin is are made new theme restaurant & QS for Illumination Way

Epic Universe:
Monsters
Fantastic Beasts
How to Train Your Dragons
Nintendo

IOA
2021: massive re-theme of Jurassic Park to World
2025: Zelda replaces Lost Continent

Last edited:
USF:

2020: Bourne
2022: kidszone is replaced by a Trolls dark ride and Kung Fo Panda boat ride
2023: Mummy Refub and add new audio animatronic, lighting and effects with projection mapping
2024: Fast & Furious replaced by a new F&F dueling story coaster and Rip ride & Shrek is taken down and replaced for SLOP and Sing rides and Monsters Cafe and Bone Chilling is are made new theme restaurant & QS for Illumination Way

Epic Universe:
Monsters
Fantastic Beasts
How to Train Your Dragons
Nintendo

IOA
2021: massive re-theme of Jurassic Park to World
2025: Zelda replaces Lost Continent
Love your choices!

It's probably too optimistic, but this is the 10 year timeline I would like to see:

2020:
T2 Replacement opens (probably Bourne)
New nighttime parade debuts at USF celebrating 30 years with floats featuring IP's from attractions past and present
Dockside resort opens (Phase 1 in March, Phase 2 in summer/fall)

2021:
JW coaster opens at IOA

2022:
Shrek is replaced by a Minion Park similar to USJ with shops and a flat ride
Monsters cafe is replaced by a Transformers themed play area and flat
IOA gets nighttime lagoon show

2023:
Universal's Epic Universe opens with the four presumed lands and coaster
Universal's Epic Hotel opens

2024:
Trolls flume ride replaces the east half of Kidzone (the play areas and coaster)
VB expansion opens with mammoth water coaster, small slide tower, and play area
Universal's 2 Epic hotel opens

2025:
Pokemon opens on Nintendo expansion land at EU
A couple of heavy refurbishments at IOA and USF

2026:
KFP boat ride from Beijing & indoor flat replace the south half of Toon Lagoon (Dudley, Comic strip cafe, TL theater)
An unthemed and unpainful coaster replaces HRRR at USF
Another hotel near EU opens

2027:
Hyrule takes the place of Lost Continent
New indoor theater replaces Fear Factor

2028:
More expansion at EU; could be another world or a water park
4th South complex hotel opens

2029:
A future IP replaces Simpsons, Barney, and Animal Actors

Id love a highly themed story thrill coaster to replace it. Make it one of the biggest coaster projects ever. Question really is just what IP. I know its a dead horse but it stinks Fast and Furious was used for what it was. Coudl've been a dope long coaster. Especially, if Universal offices move to the High School and Uni buys that land. But, a man can dream.

To play a card for Hollywood..

2020 - Secret Life of Pets
2021 - Super Nintendo World (phase 1), MK and Mushroom Kingdom
2022 - new film for DWT, oriented to Shrek
2023 - USH gets its first on-site hotel, located with next to the Globe; SNW (Phase 2), Donkey Kong Country
2024 - Parisian Courtyard & French Street close and are replaced with Illumination. An all new version of the Studio Tour begins operations; private tours only with elements from VIP Experience added in alongside new items incorporated
2025 - a land oriented to Classic Monsters opens in the Lower Lot, replacing Mummy and the soundstages next to Mummy and TF
2026 - TWDA closes for a new walk-through experience
2027 - Universal opens a second gate, replacing portions of the Universal Backlot

USF-

2020-
-Bourne
-New daytime parade replaces SuperStar, similar to former Universal Reborn! Parade.
-Fear Factor Live is replaced by an updated Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show~ better than FFL & can be used to market 30 years.
-30th anniversary version of Cinematic Celebration
-ET new animatronics and projection mapping effects
-NBC Universal Experience opens replacing NBC Media Center
(All of this additions are pretty simple in the grand scheme of things, only new, major, construction is parade floats)

Closures:
Shrek 4D and Hello Kitty facility (to be replaced in 2022)
Curious George Goes to Town (to be replaced in 2022)
Barney closes LATE in the year (to be replaced in 2021)

2021-
-Rip Ride Rockit demolished
-Secret Life Of Pets opens in New York replacing stage 33 and adding a real physical library facade.
-SING on Tour show replaces Barney theater attraction.
-Fast and Furious reopens after new ride scenes are recorded to replace the current terrible ones.

Closures:
Simpsons Ride, not the land (to be replaced in 2023)
Feivel Playland (to be replaced in 2022)

2022-
-Great Universal Movie Ride opens replacing Shrek 4D and the neighboring Hello Kitty facility. Also includes entrance modifications to make it more "grand" and art deco. Facade will be similar to that of Universal Plaza out in La.
-Trolls boat ride attraction opens in Kidzone replacing George and parade building. Area is renamed Universal Wonderland.
-Feivel Playland rethemed to Madagascar.
-Hello Kitty flat ride & interactive store added to Kidzone. Final Kidzone line up looks like.. Animal Actors, Hello Kitty, Trolls, Sing, Woody Woodpecker, ET, Madagascar.

Closures:
Revenge of The Mummy (To be replaced in 2024)

2023-
New Simpsons Power Plant dark ride opens replacing the Simpsons Ride.

2024-
Ghostbusters shooter opens replaces Mummy. Completing the New York refurbishment (Adding SLOP, removing Rockit)

To sum it up, between now and 2024 you'd get..
Bourne, new daytime parade, Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show, overhauled ET, NBC Universal Experience, SLOP, Sing on Tour, Universal Movie Ride, Trolls, Madagascar Playland, Hello Kitty Flat, Simpsons dark ride, Ghostbusters... and NO MORE ROCKIT!

USF-

2020-
-Bourne
-New daytime parade replaces SuperStar, similar to former Universal Reborn! Parade.
-Fear Factor Live is replaced by an updated Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show~ better than FFL & can be used to market 30 years.
-30th anniversary version of Cinematic Celebration
-ET new animatronics and projection mapping effects
-NBC Universal Experience opens replacing NBC Media Center
(All of this additions are pretty simple in the grand scheme of things, only new, major, construction is parade floats)

Closures:
Shrek 4D and Hello Kitty facility (to be replaced in 2022)
Curious George Goes to Town (to be replaced in 2022)
Barney closes LATE in the year (to be replaced in 2021)

2021-
-Rip Ride Rockit demolished
-Secret Life Of Pets opens in New York replacing stage 33 and adding a real physical library facade.
-SING on Tour show replaces Barney theater attraction.
-Fast and Furious reopens after new ride scenes are recorded to replace the current terrible ones.

Closures:
Simpsons Ride, not the land (to be replaced in 2023)
Feivel Playland (to be replaced in 2022)

2022-
-Great Universal Movie Ride opens replacing Shrek 4D and the neighboring Hello Kitty facility. Also includes entrance modifications to make it more "grand" and art deco. Facade will be similar to that of Universal Plaza out in La.
-Trolls boat ride attraction opens in Kidzone replacing George and parade building. Area is renamed Universal Wonderland.
-Feivel Playland rethemed to Madagascar.
-Hello Kitty flat ride & interactive store added to Kidzone. Final Kidzone line up looks like.. Animal Actors, Hello Kitty, Trolls, Sing, Woody Woodpecker, ET, Madagascar.

Closures:
Revenge of The Mummy (To be replaced in 2024)

2023-
New Simpsons Power Plant dark ride opens replacing the Simpsons Ride.

2024-
Ghostbusters shooter opens replaces Mummy. Completing the New York refurbishment (Adding SLOP, removing Rockit)

To sum it up, between now and 2024 you'd get..
Bourne, new daytime parade, Wild Wild Wild West Stunt Show, overhauled ET, NBC Universal Experience, SLOP, Sing on Tour, Universal Movie Ride, Trolls, Madagascar Playland, Hello Kitty Flat, Simpsons dark ride, Ghostbusters... and NO MORE ROCKIT!

While there is no scenario in which I would be happy about Revenge of the Mummy going away (though Ghostbusters would be the least personally crushing replacement possible), I like most of this plan a lot.

I will be floored, if kid zone is still in the shape it is by the time EU opens. It, just wouldn't make any sense in the world. I would think after the Jurassic Coaster, UOR will want to put all its focus here. I can't remember if I read it on here or not, but I recall there being a post about how Animal Actors may be revamped to include SLOP or something. I think ideally, having Animal Actors, SLOP Off The Leash, ET, and a full Dreamworks area would be a home run.

Personally, I think Trolls is the route they should take. Full themed and immersive area, have a D ticket Trolls boat ride through their home, extremely colorful, I guess UOR's Navi River Journey. Then a fun story themed coaster, that even has the carts swaying a bit to dance along with the music. Make it a party coaster of some sort. Have the track light up along with the trolls dancing and whatever music is playing. Idk, in my head this sounds pretty fun haha. Add a spinning ride and another flat ride if possible as well. Along with M&Gs.

Great additions here.
- I would make queue's more handicap accessible. A lot of Universal queues are great and part of the story. When in a EV or wheelchair it is unfortunately not to be enjoyed but with better planning it could be done. (this is from personal experience).
- Ride vehicles that accommodate more body types. Larger or taller guests often don't have a change to ride with their family. With a bit more effort a larger selection of the guests could enjoy the rides.
- Better food in IOA. Universal shines at CityWalk but the food offerings in the theme parks not always hit the spot. Especially IOA is disappointing and that needs to change.
- During a less crowded season I would add Sensory-friendly days. The Blue Man Group at CityWalk already has sensory-friendly performances with lower sound and light volumes. I would have every ride, show and restaurant get a program like that.