Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Let's play being head of Universal Creative...

Alrighty, since I'm supposed to be at UOR right now I've had some fun brownies and done some thinking. Since Comcast still has cash flow, I think future expansions are potentially going to be limited, but if they invest anywhere massively I feel it'd be their biggest resort, Orlando. So while still trying to have fun but be realistic.... also I'm thinking attractions only right now, hotels and restaurants and Citywalk I'm just not as good at speculating on.

2021:Bourne opens in January/February and Velocicoaster, updated Discovery Center with more "Encounter" like meet and greets and restaurant removed are added to IOA for the summer of 2021.

2022: Nothing except the USJ parade being added to USF as I think Parades will be back by then for sure, and Universal can have a big brand new one for Orlando.

2023: Epic Universe opens on time with SNW, Frankenstein's Village, Wizarding World of Fantastic Beasts, How To Train Your Dragon, and I think, POKEMON. Yes, I think they may just put Pokemon here. Idk what on earth they'd do for Pokemon besides a safari, fun patent may be a peek into it, but I don't see a major IP that would replace Kidzone anytime soon, and may as well use it as an attraction to your brand new park especially if 2023 ends up being a big bounce back year for a lot of industries affected by Covid-19.

2024: SLOP replaces Shrek. I think SLOP is not dead as a franchise. With Peacock starting soon, streaming becoming more of the norm, franchises I feel have longer lives right now, especially with films basically being pushed back at least one year. I could easily see a kids show around these characters as well, if not a 3rd movie itself. If the ride gets good reception in Hollywood, easy transition over to here. Monsters Cafe turns into a Villain Con restaurant, and Sing! Live On Tour plays the main music stage at various times thoroughout the day, with Meet n Greets after each show in the courtyard near where Monsters Cafe is now. Sing! obviously would not run during some holidays. Mini Illumination area transformation. Kidzone is closed minus ET and Animal Actors.

I also do not see any more investment besides dining and seating expansion at Volcano Bay, or any water parks for that matter for at least 4 years or so after all this. Maybe an overestimation, but I think Water Parks will suffer more than theme parks and that includes expansions to VB in my eyes, so may as well have something new at USF after EU opens.

2025: Family Feud show replaces Fear Factor live. I want this so bad, I don't see this show ever ending, you can have guests text their answers for the survey, could be super cheap and super popular. Record each show and sell it for streaming or DVD purchase after the show. Another simple addition to the parks. Another simple addition that isn't too cost effective but adds something "new".

2026: Rivendell opens at IOA replacing Toon Lagoon. Raft ride themed to Barrel raft battle (I haven't seen the film in years, and it was somewhat rumored as a concept at least), and a massive indoor E ticket with more practical sets but a similar ride system to Gringotts. More moving dark ride than Coaster mixed/Spiderman but I assume some Screens will be needed to make a massive Hobbit e ticket work. A sit down restaurant is added with a smaller menu offering quick service as well.

2027: Phase 2 of Frankenstein's Village opens, whatever that may be, but lets hope its the Creature boat ride thats been tossed around. Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness replaces Lost Continent, minus Mythos. I think Mythos can survive on its own and since KFP in Beijing is indoors, it wouldn't affect theming at all. KFP I think would take up the space of Lost Continent, adds another boat ride, and is a more kid friendly area that may be needed if LOTR ever opens there.

Idk thats all I got in my head for now folks, Mummy replacement is likely next. Not trying to take the fun out of things here when thinking about Covid-19, but, its a reality. Please feel free to continue speculating however!

Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness replaces Lost Continent, minus Mythos. I think Mythos can survive on its own and since KFP in Beijing is indoors, it wouldn't affect theming at all. KFP I think would take up the space of Lost Continent, adds another boat ride, and is a more kid friendly area that may be needed if LOTR ever opens there.
I definitely think Kung Fu Panda would be a good fit in Lost Continent, especially in IOA which could use more kid friendly/indoor attractions. I would wonder how they would obscure such a large showbuilding from different parts of the lagoon.

I definitely think Kung Fu Panda would be a good fit in Lost Continent, especially in IOA which could use more kid friendly/indoor attractions. I would wonder how they would obscure such a large showbuilding from different parts of the lagoon.
I thought about it for the same reasons. They neeed another indoor ride/area desperately, I think trees can hide it decently, that is a very fair point. I wonder how much of Mythos can block it haha

Wanting to revive this thread a bit and have some fun theme park talk. I saw a poll on reddit the other day and it got me thinking more, and we've discussed it here plenty but this discussion I think more-so belongs here.

So, if you're Universal Creative do you keep Jurassic Park, as is, or change it fully to Jurassic World?

Im in the Jurassic World crowd. These are the Jurassic films I saw in theaters, so I personally have much more of a connection to them although the Jurassic franchise as a whole is my favorite next to Potter and Star Wars. Plus, based on theme park sharks podcast recently (shoutout to @Dustin ), the JW river ride does not sound even close to complete. The final product form the sounds of it seem like a very worthy river adventure replacement. We shall see if that comes to fruition, but it all sounded very exciting to me.

This also gives IOA a new "land" almost, in a time where I see no future additions to IOA for quite some time. Its gotten plenty of love recently and it can ride on JW and Hogsmeade and Marvel being the major sells for at least the next 5 years or so. Focus after this needs to go to the Studios. JW I think would sell more merchandise, has famous movie stars that could attract people to the land, and does give the "next generation" of fans/kids their own experience. JP has been open for 21 years now, so I feel thats a good time for an update for the newer fans, like myself! Id imagine people younger than me (I'm 22), probably feel the same.

So idk, it seems the JW thing is happening so maybe this discussion is too late? Just my two cents. Anyways, have at it kids.

Wanting to revive this thread a bit and have some fun theme park talk. I saw a poll on reddit the other day and it got me thinking more, and we've discussed it here plenty but this discussion I think more-so belongs here.

So, if you're Universal Creative do you keep Jurassic Park, as is, or change it fully to Jurassic World?

Im in the Jurassic World crowd. These are the Jurassic films I saw in theaters, so I personally have much more of a connection to them although the Jurassic franchise as a whole is my favorite next to Potter and Star Wars. Plus, based on theme park sharks podcast recently (shoutout to @Dustin ), the JW river ride does not sound even close to complete. The final product form the sounds of it seem like a very worthy river adventure replacement. We shall see if that comes to fruition, but it all sounded very exciting to me.

This also gives IOA a new "land" almost, in a time where I see no future additions to IOA for quite some time. Its gotten plenty of love recently and it can ride on JW and Hogsmeade and Marvel being the major sells for at least the next 5 years or so. Focus after this needs to go to the Studios. JW I think would sell more merchandise, has famous movie stars that could attract people to the land, and does give the "next generation" of fans/kids their own experience. JP has been open for 21 years now, so I feel thats a good time for an update for the newer fans, like myself! Id imagine people younger than me (I'm 22), probably feel the same.

So idk, it seems the JW thing is happening so maybe this discussion is too late? Just my two cents. Anyways, have at it kids.
This feels like one of those decisions that can go either way, and neither is exactly more correct than the other. JP is such an iconic brand that it’ll play across multiple generations. JW is more powerful now, but how will it hold up 10-20 years down the road?

I’d personally be okay with the blending of the two properties, where the half closer to Kong represents JP, while the half closer to Hogsmeade represents JW.

In my ears this would be like they remade the Potter movies but now everything looked like the financial district in London and someone suggests that look would be preferable and Universal should go for that in the theme parks.
But I get what you are saying. I still have the feeling they should go with the origin story for Isla Aventura but better sell the concept this is another branded Jurassic theme park island that has attractions from their own an the other parks. That story is now almost invisible but it would keep the best of the "classic rides" and the "hip new attractions".

Last edited:
I honestly think Universal's Jurassic "island" should just be it's own thing. Re-branding the land as "Jurassic Universe" would be such a shoe in idea, IMO. Maybe now it clashes with the entirety of the Epic Universe park but they'll really missed the boat with such a name. It's close enough to "Park" and "World" that it'll be instantly recognizable next to the logo. Then you could have branding change to whatever you want it to. You can adopt the JW design and color aesthetics so that it feels updated and refreshing without actually be tied down to the less than mediocre new franchise (I'm a sucker for the entirety of the Jurassic franchise but will stand by the idea that the franchise just declines in quality pretty drastically, especially once you get to the new trilogy).

If the new trilogy has a lasting impact you'll be good to go for as long as you want since the land's so similar already with his reflective aesthetic. If not, you can easily switch it up into a new branding without having to re-name the whole thing as it's still "Jurassic Universe".

I personally don't mind updating the look to a JW style because it is much sleeker and nicer to my eyes; the original JP era designs are just a little too kitschy for my personal tastes. That said the original series more than makes up for an outdated style with more endearing characters as well as much more stunning set pieces, which is a shame given the talent and technical capabilities present in the new series. Nothing in either JW movie compares to the Raptor kitchen, the T-Rex saving the day, the mountainside RV plunge or even the Spinosaurus cage attack.

Okay, If i were in charge of Uni creative heres what I will do regarding the visitor center: I've felt like the visitor center is good, but it needs to something to stand by itself and not be supported by the JW coaster. Basically, I'm saying that the popularity of the new coaster is gonna cause less people to want to go to the visitor center. What I would do is: I would refurbish the entire interior of the cafe located in the visitor center and add an outdoor patio to it. Not only would it give guests a good vantage point of the new coaster flying by, but it would also make for a cool experience. Now for the interactive exhibits, Personally, I feel like they should remain the same as they are now (with some minor upgrades) The next idea would be a giant hologram T-Rex (like the one from Jurassic World) that would occasionally come to life and roar at guests (to startle them) Now, for the exterior.. I feel like it theoretically could remain almost the same (what I would do is demolish the top cupola of the visitor centre and replace it with the one from Jurassic World. (this'll be continued in a few more posts)

We move on to the most discussed topic: River Adventure. For this, I've been brainstorming ideas and I feel like I've come up with a good idea for it. First off, this won't be a clone of the one from Hollywood. It'll be a completely original version based off Jurassic World (still using the same ride system) the new name would be Escape From Jurassic World. I have a general idea for a scene by scene description. I'll post in the next post following this. As for the entrance to River Adventure, I'll keep the rockwork sign the same, except with the new name on the rockwork. The queue building would get repainted (blue and gray paint scheme like Hollywood, only similarity to Jurassic World at Hollywood) Flat screen TVs would display information about the dinosaurs featured on the ride. The boats would be repainted to be blue and gray, and the control booth across from the station would be repainted to blue and gray, The 1990s eras TVs would be replaced with Flat Screen TVs. 2/4

We move on to the most discussed topic: River Adventure. For this, I've been brainstorming ideas and I feel like I've come up with a good idea for it. First off, this won't be a clone of the one from Hollywood. It'll be a completely original version based off Jurassic World (still using the same ride system) the new name would be Escape From Jurassic World. I have a general idea for a scene by scene description. I'll post in the next post following this. As for the entrance to River Adventure, I'll keep the rockwork sign the same, except with the new name on the rockwork. The queue building would get repainted (blue and gray paint scheme like Hollywood, only similarity to Jurassic World at Hollywood) Flat screen TVs would display information about the dinosaurs featured on the ride. The boats would be repainted to be blue and gray, and the control booth across from the station would be repainted to blue and gray, The 1990s eras TVs would be replaced with Flat Screen TVs. 2/4
I don't understand the name "Escape From Jurassic World". Remember this theme park land depicts a Jurassic World theme park with theme park rides featuring dino's. It's like place a ride in WDW called "Escape From Walt Disney World", that wouldn't fit.

Well, the more I reveal about my idea for this ride, the more you'll understand the reason I chose "Escape From Jurassic World". as the name.

Okay, its time for a more elaborate description of the first scene. So a Jurassic World Tour Guide would board the ride vehicle when the boat is at the station, The boat goes up the same small lifthill as it did in River Adventure. We enter an enclosed steel building, we're surrounded by steel cages (think of the steel cages from JP/JW used to enter in and out of the paddocks) there's a rock wall off to our right saying "When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth" (the letters on the sign light up at night) The boat passes through the Jurassic World arches, and we enter 'Ultrasauraus Lagoon' a mother Ultrasaur pops out of the water, and sprays guests with water. We pass by some more Ultrasaurs, and move on to 'Stegosaur Springs' where we pass by a rock cave with a stegosaur on top of a rock protecting her baby, We see another stegosaur pop up from the left side of the raft. (The tour guide mentioned from earlier makes cringy dinosaur jokes throughout the ride until one scene, we'll get to that later) We then enter the raptor paddock... 1/3

Yeah true. The main reason I chose to make it multiple posts is because I don't have the ideas for each scene fully fledged out yet. So once the ideas are fully fledged out, I'll add more to that post.

One of my favorite brain games/game shows that was on Nickelodeon is called BrainSurge. Co-created by Scott A. Stone who also co-created Legends of the Hidden Temple (filmed on Soundstage 18 at USF). It aired from 2009 to 2012.

If I imagined BrainSurge coming back, it could work as a live participation show like Fear Factor Live. Knowing Nickelodeon's past history of filming many game shows at USF, this could be a perfect fit. And it could be the first Nickelodeon attraction since Jimmy Neutron Nicktoons Blast.

BrainSurge Live could take place on one of USF's soundstages, or replace Shrek 4-D which is large stage space.

I'll show you what Brain Surge is.

Like Fear Factor Live, guests can have the chance to audition. Anyone can participate. Not just 11 to 14 years old. 10 year olds could compete, even older teens, and adults can play on BrainSurge Live. Like FF Live, whoever gets selected/wants to participate, it will be 90 minutes before show time.

Shrek 4-D's soundstage is perfect space for the show's massive layout. And for the live audience too.

The way the show works, if you know, is contestants compete in a series of brain games. If you lose, you get sent down a slide across the stage covered in food colored soap/foam which is dubbed "The Brain Drain".

Level 1 has the 6 contestants on a panel with a touch pad to lock in their answers. There are six visual puzzles worth 10/20/30/40/50/100 points. Testing the contestants ability to see things quickly. Only four move on while two are eliminated, taken up a staircase, and sent down the Brain Drain.

Level 2 has the 4 contestants on moving hand chairs. They stand and listen to the story testing their listening skills. They are asked a question/list something from the story. You have to sit/hold on to the chair to see if you are correct or incorrect. Answer right: you hear a ding, answer wrong: you hear a whoopee cushion. Losing means your hand chair sends you out through the 2nd set piece.

The remaining 2 are sent to a knockout round. They match pairs of images from the story. A wrong match leads to sudden death. Whoever gets the next match wins and moves on to Level 3. The 3 who lost in Level 2 are sent down the Brain Drain.

Level 3 has the remaining contestant having 90 seconds to light up 3 paths on a moveable grid.

What I notice about Level 3 in the original show is that the game pods are moved to make way for the expanded 4x4 to 6x6 "Path to Victory". So this could be an interesting challenge to work through if they do 3 to 4 live shows a day. It could be on a different side of the set.

The Brain Drain would have to be shortened to fit the soundstage size.

Contestants are showered afterwards.

The prizes and consolation prizes would all be up to Universal Studios Florida.

Level 1 and 2 would be the BrainSurge name tags as memorabilia. Even if losing Level 3.

4x4 can be a BrainSurge T-shirt, 5x5 can be a cheap souvenir product, 6x6 could be Blue Man Group tickets or one-time use only Express passes for any ride at Universal.

If you complete the 4x4 and 5x5 but don't complete the 6x6, you still get the prizes, but you get sent down the Brain Drain.

If you win the 6x6, you get slimed!

Contestants are hosed off/showered afterwards. (It's soap).

The set of the show would have the audience at the back while Level 1 is center, Level 2 is right, and Level 3 is left of the stage. For the Brain Drain slide, contestants are sent up a staircase to be sent down the slide.

There would be about 3 shows a day. That way the crew can get the soundstage reset for the next show.

If they decide to close Shrek 4-D, that can work best as a year-round. But if they have to share a soundstage, it would have to be a seasonal attraction.

It might be an unusual concept for Universal Studios Florida, but I would pay a lot to spend 2-3 days at UOR and get picked on BrainSurge Live.

So... what are your thoughts? If you heard of or watched BrainSurge on Nickelodeon back then, cool. If there are any criticisms/feedback, type away.

Well, with everything going on... a new pitch.

Current rumor delays EU drastically and moves SNW back to KidZone. So...

2021 - VelociCoaster
2022 - SNW (Phase 1) replaces KidZone
2023 - JW overlay to JPRA
2024 - DK (Phase 2) Opens in KidZone
2026 - Berk into Islands. Now I did some measurements, and we can actually fit to two major attractions (the show, speculated flying theater, and Sky Fly into area between Marvel and Toon without losing Toon’s rides. It’s not what I want, but they’d be a massive addition to a generally dead spot.
749F3515-7FE7-4E95-BD85-B483B3F0BC60.jpeg

2027 - Monsters Ride replaces MiB. It’s not the whole land. But that’s okay. The ride is what you want. And the ride fits PERFECTLY.

278C4D60-1850-4C47-AB3E-F60B320DCE65.jpeg

Well, with everything going on... a new pitch.

Current rumor delays EU drastically and moves SNW back to KidZone. So...

2021 - VelociCoaster
2022 - SNW (Phase 1) replaces KidZone
2023 - JW overlay to JPRA
2024 - DK (Phase 2) Opens in KidZone
2026 - Berk into Islands. Now I did some measurements, and we can actually fit to two major attractions (the show, speculated flying theater, and Sky Fly into area between Marvel and Toon without losing Toon’s rides. It’s not what I want, but they’d be a massive addition to a generally dead spot.
View attachment 12916

2027 - Monsters Ride replaces MiB. It’s not the whole land. But that’s okay. The ride is what you want. And the ride fits PERFECTLY.

View attachment 12917
I wondered if you could use half of TL for Berk

They could totally do parts of the Monster Land in Studios...specifically if they filled in that water area in front

To fill my tip into the drawer..

2021 - Velocicoaster and Diet JW (no River Adventure revamp)
2022 - Super Nintendo World (Phase 1) replaces Kidzone, Mariokart and Yoshi's Adventure
2023 - Two additions--DreamWorks Theater replacing Shrek 4D with Kung Fu Panda Adventure, and a new Waterslide complex for Volcano Bay with the slides by Whitewater
2024 - Super Nintendo World - Donkey Kong Country (Phase 2) opens.

2023, while light--would address the subject of Volcano Bay being over 5 years without a new addition, and taking care of Shrek 4D with an attraction that could be interchangable in the drop of the hat.

2023-SNW
2026-Ministry ride
2028-2030: New park

Don't think we'll see much beside that honestly, and Uni doesn't really need to expand IOA till attendance comes back and when they already got Kong, Hagrid, and VC. Parks with less good attractions have seen much longer waits.