Mako - 2016 SeaWorld Coaster | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Mako - 2016 SeaWorld Coaster

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If I'm interpreting this right it looks like the queue will see no live sharks and is almost all outdoors. Someone else please interpret it because I'm hoping I'm wrong.
Wouldn't be surprised at no sharks as I remember hearing early on that the queue won't be nearly as elaborate as Manta's. If it is almost entirely outside however, that's just poor planning on their part.

11816375_1629341174008483_8523375850967830905_o.jpg

It's about damn time something new happened on the Mako construction site.....and there's lots of it! New markers, new holes for footers and much, much more has been happening. 95% of the entire site has markers now, all the way out to JTA.

There's a video of the progress here:

I have a feeling they've been waiting for the technical info from B&M. The factory has to send the templates for the bolts for the footers before they can do too much, and it seems like the factory is backed up on orders with three or four other coasters in line ahead of Mako for fabrication.

Reactions: anihilnation
I can confirm track production started about 3 weeks ago and there were a couple delays with some soil samples they did recently. But moving forward, things look like they're back on track. A good amount of the footers should be dug up in the next month and the first couple that have been started in the last couple of days will be poured with concrete.

The work that is being done around 0'45, noticed that as well when I went last Friday (07/24) ... is that where the lifthill ends and the fun begins?

Also, am curious, on average, how deep does the footer go?

I honestly don't know what that work is for. They have installed large concrete fixtures into the ground, almost like a plumbing / draining system for the lake. That's my guess at least right now. I figure eventually they will need to do work on some of the footers actually in the water and will need a way to transfer water. However, I do think that is the first drop area. After looking through the photos and zooming in on some areas, you can clearly see a lot of markers on that back pathway.

Depends on the soil. Some coasters only have to go an avg of 60ft. down, but with Mako....after seeing some of the soil results, we're going DEEEEEEEEEP to at least 120' or more.

If I'm interpreting this right it looks like the queue will see no live sharks and is almost all outdoors. Someone else please interpret it because I'm hoping I'm wrong.
You might be right. This will not be like the Manta queue... This coaster is built from scratch, Manta's queue was built over 20 years ago. It used to be a tropical coral reef aquarium/attraction for people to walk through it. Decades later they decided to build a loading platform over it and use it as a queue.

You might be right. This will not be like the Manta queue... This coaster is built from scratch, Manta's queue was built over 20 years ago. It used to be a tropical coral reef aquarium/attraction for people to walk through it. Decades later they decided to build a loading platform over it and use it as a queue.

I always thought the Manta's tanks were built new and everything before that was demoed?

You are correct. There was once a tropical reef building in the location where the water sprays up, but of course, that is gone now. The last thing a theme park wants is an old fish tank. Those things get so hinky over time.

seaworld.jpg

I dont think I ever made it in to the old tanks to tell you the truth, always walked by but never bothered going in. I just recall all the construction photos showing a flat level canvas for Manta

I dont think I ever made it in to the old tanks to tell you the truth, always walked by but never bothered going in. I just recall all the construction photos showing a flat level canvas for Manta

I do, basically it was like Sealife at Idrive without the tunnels... Nothing to call home about. Did really like the outside exhibits that would allow you to walk up and touch the animals.

SeaWorld just released another POV for Mako for National Roller coaster Day. Sounds to me like a terrible attempt to get some spot light during D23. This is honestly not at all in there best interest as if they just waited a week for hype to die down from D23 they may have gotten some reasonable coverage.

Should of ponied up for a giga.. Just saying...

Kong, Hulk, Frozen, Disney Springs, Soarin, and advertising for Star Tours 3.0 with the new movie wrapping up its theater run just prior. Thats some SERIOUS competition for the park building a ride you can check out at your local Six Flags. Still gonna be a fun ride and amazing experience but I just wonder if it will be enough to bring in the people.

Reactions: AK-Jake and *Q*

Kong, Hulk, Frozen, Disney Springs, Soarin, and advertising for Star Tours 3.0 with the new movie wrapping up its theater run just prior. Thats some SERIOUS competition for the park building a ride you can check out at your local Six Flags. Still gonna be a fun ride and amazing experience but I just wonder if it will be enough to bring in the people.

Very excited for Mako, but yes, it is not something that is unique. Then, Seaworld has a real need for more rides so anything is better than nothing.

Mako is unique to the area tho. The closest similar ride is a good 8-hour drive away. I think if they went too intense or too innovative, they'll put off some of the masses--you can't increase attendance that much by just catering to thrill seekers. So I think if it attracts a decent-sized local population with at least a passing interest in big roller coasters, they'll have accomplished what they wanted

Don't forget Nighttime Safaris and Rivers of Light

It's still a fantastic addition to the park and the Orlando theme park area. And the on-ride video confirms that this could take my favorite Central Florida coaster. I'm a sucker for airtime and this looks like it's got lots of it.

It's not going to make me stump up the cash for a ride on it. I'll just wait for this sort of thrill from another park on trips elsewhere