Mardi Gras 2014 | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Mardi Gras 2014

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I did the Mardi Gras survey that Universal sent out to me this morning. Pretty normal except the end was interesting. They asked about the level of interest in an event that celebrated Mardi Gras across the globe. It would highlight food and traditions from places like Brazil, Germany, etc. It sounded like something similar to Food and Wine at Epcot. I thought this was a GREAT idea. I know it seems kinda cheap to "copy" Disney, but lately Universal has been taking the Disney model and then taking it up a few notches. If they could integrate numerous specialty food and drink tents (besides just the New Orleans tents they already have) into the Mardi Gras celebrations I would be happy to give universal lots of my money as I drank and ate my way around Universal. Anyone else think this would be a huge hit if Universal pulled that off, and did it right?

Kind of funny since the theme this year is 80 days around the world. I never knew the Mardi Gras parades had themes and I threw beads in one before. So maybe this is new and they are seeing if they can build on the theme more. Be kind of strange since it really is a New Orleans thing. But I agree, it could be a major hit.

They've had themes, just not strong or noted ones. I.E. 2011: The Elements, 2010: 15 Years of Mardi Gras, so on.

The majority of the time the theme for the year is on the doubloons.

I did the Mardi Gras survey that Universal sent out to me this morning. Pretty normal except the end was interesting. They asked about the level of interest in an event that celebrated Mardi Gras across the globe. It would highlight food and traditions from places like Brazil, Germany, etc. It sounded like something similar to Food and Wine at Epcot. I thought this was a GREAT idea. I know it seems kinda cheap to "copy" Disney, but lately Universal has been taking the Disney model and then taking it up a few notches. If they could integrate numerous specialty food and drink tents (besides just the New Orleans tents they already have) into the Mardi Gras celebrations I would be happy to give universal lots of my money as I drank and ate my way around Universal. Anyone else think this would be a huge hit if Universal pulled that off, and did it right?

That'd be pretty awesome! I love EPCOT and Food & Wine for being the foodie destination that they are, so if we could have something similar at Universal, that would be great! :cheers:

Mardi Gras is NOT just in New Orleans, but that is the city with the biggest celebration. I think Biloxi, MS, has an MG celebration, and let's not forget Carnival, which is a celebration for the same thing (the beginning of Lent, and Carnival translates to "farewell to the flesh", and people used to give up meat for lent), just a different name. Brazil and several cities in Europe celebrate Carnival.

Mardi Gras is NOT just in New Orleans, but that is the city with the biggest celebration. I think Biloxi, MS, has an MG celebration, and let's not forget Carnival, which is a celebration for the same thing (the beginning of Lent, and Carnival translates to "farewell to the flesh", and people used to give up meat for lent), just a different name. Brazil and several cities in Europe celebrate Carnival.

Agreed, although authentic N'awlins Mardi Gras is the staple at Universal. But, to be fair, there have been nods...

IMG_3340_zpsa14c281e.jpg

iOlVnJe6iehHQ.jpg

Well it looks like Hubby & Daughter won't be making it back into town until Monday morning. So it looks like I will be spending another evening at Mardi Gras this Saturday! :happy:

Robin Thicke has cancelled his performances tonight in Atlanta – and tomorrow at Universal Orlando Resort. We are happy to share that Robin has agreed to reschedule his performance at Universal Orlando for a future date.

Mardi Gras will continue as scheduled tomorrow night. There will be a great Mardi Gras parade, authentic Mardi Gras food and a performance by an authentic New Orleans band. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

UO fb page.

Wow, it was very quiet and almost kind of creepy quiet after the parade tonight without a concert. Our group grabbed a snack and a drink after the parade from the French quarter market area and sat across from twister watching the TMs tear down and haul things backstage for entertainment :)

Did anyone watch CineSpec last night? Did they call it a special showing because there's typically no CineSpec during Mardi Gras nights, or was there anything special and/or Mardi Gras related in the show?

Actually all last year every time I did MardiGras they had CineSpec those nights. I watched it once and there was nothing special when I watched it. It looks like this year though they are not running Cinespec. I wonder if once the Spring Break crowds hit if they will run it again. But the first concert I went to was Steve Miller last year and I swear that was before spring break crowds and I know it ran that night.

Did anyone watch CineSpec last night? Did they call it a special showing because there's typically no CineSpec during Mardi Gras nights, or was there anything special and/or Mardi Gras related in the show?

From reports on twitter, it seems that it was a normal showing.

Now, I'm not sure if everyone is aware, Robin Thicke pulled out of his Mardi Gras concert, but he was seen at Disneyland the next day. I know a sore throat (or whatever his reason was) does not preclude a theme park visit, but it's still bizarre.

He cancelled his Atlanta show too and since he had time off he probably went back home or on vacation. Singers sometimes can't sing, but it doesn't mean they can't go have fun. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Word just came out he and his wife are divorcing, so maybe he took his kid to Disneyland to help break the news/deal with the impending split.

You can't blame him for putting his kid first if that is the case, and he has promised to come and make it up.

Well to be fair, attending a theme park doesn't require using his vocal box to it's capacity. Either way, bad timing. But now that the news is out about his split, it makes sense and he had every right to take the weekend. Especially since he did say he will reschedule for a future date.