Mardi Gras 2016 | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Mardi Gras 2016

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Absolutely! It's fun, there are lots of beads, and the food and drinks are good. I'm going for the Diana Ross concert next weekend.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'm standing in front of the Uni arch getting ready to do the Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras preview for News 13.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MrRoamer
We did get to ride a float on Saturday...in talking to folks, I was told that UNI owns some of the floats while the NOLA company that makes the floats own some. My guess is that UNI borrows the four new floats, if they are well liked, then they may buy them (like the Day of the Dead float that stuck around from a couple of years ago.

One of the Ear Worms my family caught from hanging around the studios so often is when we hang around near Bruce and hear "If I had a Million Dollars" so we decided to see Barenaked Ladies this year. My daughter was done, so we only stuck around for about 30 minutes, but the guys are really fun (I last saw them around 20 years ago)...lots of funny jokes about UNI in between the great music, they even told us about Jimmy Fallon's ride coming soon.

Reactions: Teebin and JoeCamel
That ownership deal is odd if accurate.

I added stuff like the word borrow, I guess I could have used the word rent or lease...no biggie and I have no clue on how accurate the info is. I really was not seeking info, it was just something that was shared in conversation, the only thing they said was that UOR owned some of the floats while the company that makes the floats owns some, I just wanted to mention that I added/speculated the rest.

I know nothing about park ops or anything, but I sort of felt this made some sense, I mean, from the descriptions of the Macy's parade, it sounds like a similar set up in that Macy's sends down some balloons and stuff each year. So I assume Macy's still owns them...so I just figured the Mardi Gras floats follow the same type of arrangement.

I added stuff like the word borrow, I guess I could have used the word rent or lease...no biggie and I have no clue on how accurate the info is. I really was not seeking info, it was just something that was shared in conversation, the only thing they said was that UOR owned some of the floats while the company that makes the floats owns some, I just wanted to mention that I added/speculated the rest.

I know nothing about park ops or anything, but I sort of felt this made some sense, I mean, from the descriptions of the Macy's parade, it sounds like a similar set up in that Macy's sends down some balloons and stuff each year. So I assume Macy's still owns them...so I just figured the Mardi Gras floats follow the same type of arrangement.
Macy's definitely owns their balloons. They are only ever on Uni property for about a week before the parade starts (balloons ship as soon as the parade in NYC ends and the pack everything) and they stay until about a week after it ends.

There's always Macy's staff from NYC on property as well to help treat the balloons and to oversee operations. They are very protective.

Reports of already 250 ish people hanging out near the concert area for today's show. It's going to be beyond insane there today.

Reactions: JoeCamel
So as I said on Twitter, I think "Fall Out Boy crowded" is the new "Kelly Clarkson crowded".

It was absolutely insane and at times, out of control. I've never seen the park so packed (including HHN), people were running all over the poor TMs tasked to handle the crowds.

Also, apparently the park closed to capacity tonight as well.

EDIT: Here was where I ended up watching/listening to the concert from due to the madness...

1002523_10208696130661824_5768013975364548840_n.jpg

Last edited:
Got there at about 4:30, realized I wasn't getting any closer than the tech booth, went and did T2, had dinner at Panda and saw the crowds still flocking into USF despite the signs saying the concert area was full. After a quick look at the wait times on the app I decided to give up. As I was heading back to my car around 8 they were announcing that Studios was at capacity and would not likely reopen. Just insane. I will definitely be getting there much earlier for 3 Doors Down (or hoping it rains in the afternoon).

Reactions: SeventyOne