Mary Poppins Returns (2018) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Apologies you are correct Up and Toy Story 3 were nominated as well but not Wall*E. Yet as @OLSinFLA said, Beauty and the Beast did it when only five films were selected not the bump to 10 films which made it easier.

It is also the only traditionally animated film to be nominated.

But I’ll admit my mistake be it with an asterisk mark.

You're right - thought WALL*E was in that Pixar run, but I guess it wasn't.

Beauty & the Beast's nomination was definitely a bigger deal, won't dispute that. Disney generally isn't in the business of making Oscar-friendly fare... this is the closest they've come in some time, but even then, it's clearly not a priority for the film itself. There's just minimal odds a sequel/requel/whatever makes the cut.

You're right - thought WALL*E was in that Pixar run, but I guess it wasn't.

Beauty & the Beast's nomination was definitely a bigger deal, won't dispute that. Disney generally isn't in the business of making Oscar-friendly fare... this is the closest they've come in some time, but even then, it's clearly not a priority for the film itself. There's just minimal odds a sequel/requel/whatever makes the cut.
Ironically, I think the last time they were even nominated for anything in best actor/actress categories was for Saving Mr. Banks.

Mary Poppins is being projected for a $55M 7-day open ($28-33M 3-day). May seem meager, but with this film being nominated for many high level awards, it should have strong legs into award season, just like The Greatest Showman did last year.

I'm expecting it will do pretty decent business on the days between Christmas and New Year's, too.
Aquaman and Bumblebee are going to be taking a lot of the business during that time frame as well, though, so maybe not as much as you’d expect.

This will be a film with legs, so don't expect it to do superhero-type grosses. Those films basically get all their funds in the first 2 weeks. Musicals and such tend to play longer with less upfront. (BTW, saw the movie today. Loved it. They're right about Blunt's spot-on Poppins. And loved the cameo by the original Jane.)

Saw the movie last night. I have to preface this, I am a HUGE cinephile... I've seen 50 movies in the theater this year. Mary Poppins Returns was my favorite, not the "best", but for a movie-going experience and what it is ( a throwback to grand musical epics) this movie was hands-down the most enjoyable film I've seen this year. People are saying that the music isn't as memorable? I highly disagree, almost every song is catchy and something I could see becoming a classic. I love the original but it has had 54 years to cement its songs as classics so jumping the gun and saying the songs aren't as memorable is a little unfair. I really think it deserves to do fantastic at the box office.

Here's my take on the movie:

Got out of the theater about an hour ago. Overall the movie was EXTREMELY faithful in tone, the sweeping score and with the magical element that comes along with the character of Mary Poppins. Emily Blunt nails the performance and proves to be a worthy successor in the role to Julie Andrews. When the movie opens with Lin-Manuel Miranda singing "Lovely London Sky" and he has a British accent, I admit it was a bit odd to hear at first. I'm just so used to his normal voice that it threw me off, but it didn't take long for me to buy him as Jack, the lamplighter. Miranda is also a part of what I consider the two best musical sequences in the movie - "A Cover is Not the Book" and "Trip a Little Light Fantastic". The Former being a spectacle with Blunt in a classic 2D Animated world and the latter being a 7-minute showstopper in the vein of "Step In Time". It's not as catchy, but I would argue it's actually more of spectacle. The choreography was perfect and the amount of dancers in the sequence really made it feel incredibly grand.

As to the music and some of the complaints of it not being catchy enough... I see where that point of view can come from. This is no Greatest Showman where every song is an ear worm. There's no "Let It Go" or "How Far I'll Go" here. The way I came out of the theater thinking is that the music may not be something you go singing on your way out of the theater, but I did thoroughly ENJOY all of the musical sequences, with quite a few of them being real stand outs. All of the songs were more than enjoyable while watching the movie and I think that's what really matters.

EDIT:
At the same time, I do feel like there is the argument to be made that Mary Poppins Returns does go almost beat for beat the same as Mary Poppins. That's not necessarily a knock against this movie, but just sort of where to set expectations. It's still a really good movie and deserves the praise it receives, but just like how if you've seen A New Hope you've basically seen The Force Awakens, the same can be applied to this movie if you've seen the original Mary Poppins.

To give another Star Wars Comparison, we could look at SOLO. The entire movie, I never bought Alden Ehrenreich as Han... I kept going back to Harrison Ford. In Mary Poppins Returns however, I never once thought about Julie Andrews while watching the film - Emily Blunt completely owned the character and really made you believe that she was her.

Last edited:
Here's my take on the movie:

Got out of the theater about an hour ago. Overall the movie was EXTREMELY faithful in tone, the sweeping score and with the magical element that comes along with the character of Mary Poppins. Emily Blunt nails the performance and proves to be a worthy successor in the role to Julie Andrews. When the movie opens with Lin-Manuel Miranda singing "Lovely London Sky" and he has a British accent, I admit it was a bit odd to hear at first. I'm just so used to his normal voice that it threw me off, but it didn't take long for me to buy him as Jack, the lamplighter. Miranda is also a part of what I consider the two best musical sequences in the movie - "A Cover is Not the Book" and "Trip a Little Light Fantastic". The Former being a spectacle with Blunt in a classic 2D Animated world and the latter being a 7-minute showstopper in the vein of "Step In Time". It's not as catchy, but I would argue it's actually more of spectacle. The choreography was perfect and the amount of dancers in the sequence really made it feel incredibly grand.

As to the music and some of the complaints of it not being catchy enough... I see where that point of view can come from. This is no Greatest Showman where every song is an ear worm. There's no "Let It Go" or "How Far I'll Go" here. The way I came out of the theater thinking is that the music may not be something you go singing on your way out of the theater, but I did thoroughly ENJOY all of the musical sequences, with quite a few of them being real stand outs. All of the songs were more than enjoyable while watching the movie and I think that's what really matters.

EDIT:
At the same time, I do feel like there is the argument to be made that Mary Poppins Returns does go almost beat for beat the same as Mary Poppins. That's not necessarily a knock against this movie, but just sort of where to set expectations. It's still a really good movie and deserves the praise it receives, but just like how if you've seen A New Hope you've basically seen The Force Awakens, the same can be applied to this movie if you've seen the original Mary Poppins.

To give another Star Wars Comparison, we could look at SOLO. The entire movie, I never bought Alden Ehrenreich as Han... I kept going back to Harrison Ford. In Mary Poppins Returns however, I never once thought about Julie Andrews while watching the film - Emily Blunt completely owned the character and really made you believe that she was her.
The moment for me was when one of the children (being deliberately vague here) remembers Mary Poppin's magic. If you've seen the movie you'll know the moment

The moment for me was when one of the children (being deliberately vague here) remembers Mary Poppin's magic. If you've seen the movie you'll know the moment
I know what you're talking about, but what do you mean by "the moment for you"?

I mean the moment the film sold me 100% - at that particular moment I was just one big smile.
There was a similar moment like this with the kids towards the end of the film that for some reason that gave me that feeling. I was just happy - A lot in part because it took a lot of building to get to that moment. It was sort of a payoff for the whole movie.

Scene in question:
Its the scene where Michael found the bond within the kite, but he thought they didn’t have enough time. The kids all chirped in “Of course we do!” “Even the impossible is possible!”, etc. It was very believable because of the way the kids had acted all movie and they did it without prompting from Mary. Just brought a huge smile to my face.

It did not...

Weekend Box Office Results for December 21-23, 2018 - Box Office Mojo

$23 million for the weekend. $32 million total gross since opening.
Disney was only ever projecting $35M for this time period (before Christmas Eve and day). That $70M number looks like it may have been a high end estimate for the 7-day.

Either way, whether it gets nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards or not will likely play a decent role into how well the film does long term. From what I’ve heard, it’s a bubble film on if it makes it or not.

This movie is definitely dependent on long legs in the US and Europe. I think its forgotten that nostalgia is not a factor in a lot of area areas where the first Mary Poppins has never been released.

Reactions: SeventyOne
This movie is definitely dependent on long legs in the US and Europe. I think its forgotten that nostalgia is not a factor in a lot of area areas where the first Mary Poppins has never been released.
Yup.

And while I happen to rather be fond of the movie and it’s music, as I said in my review, this isn’t Greatest Showman and there’s no “Let it Go” or “How Far I’ll Go” here. I like the songs from a musical theater standpoint, but for the most part, there’s no ear worms.