Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mass WDI Layoffs

Let me guess: you're gonna take the first instance of Rohde appearing in an Avatar Parks Blog vid and go back and say, "I told you so!!"

It's really not as simple as "poof! He's gone!" ...it's just that he's going into "early retirement". WDI is getting smaller... much smaller... like, almost to the point where much less is even done by them anymore.

Let me guess: you're gonna take the first instance of Rohde appearing in an Avatar Parks Blog vid and go back and say, "I told you so!!"

It's really not as simple as "poof! He's gone!" ...it's just that he's going into "early retirement". WDI is getting smaller... much smaller... like, almost to the point where much less is even done by them anymore.
And? This has been happening for years at WDI and UC. You still need people to steer the ship. If Joe Rohde was undervalued/disliked/underappreciated, WDI wouldn't have made him the captain of so many properties (especially so recently). A lot of decisions are made on a dime in this industry, but this? No, just no.

And? This has been happening for years at WDI and UC. You still need people to steer the ship. If Joe Rohde was undervalued/disliked/underappreciated, WDI wouldn't have made him the captain of so many properties (especially so recently). A lot of decisions are made on a dime in this industry, but this? No, just no.
We will know soon enough who is in and who is out.

Apparently there's a tornado going on because some people are doing a 100% 180 on everything.

I'm just going to um, wait til the dust settles.
It really sounds to me like there's confusion over terminology. When people in these positions get laid off they just don't call it that.

Okay, I understand some peoples' jobs are on the line, none of which many of us have ever met and is sad irregardless but can we not be aggressive and rude about this? It's very clear that some pretty trustworthy insiders are confused as well right now, it's not like we farted this rumor out there.

It sounds to me that you're implying that they aren't being layed off, but taking a backseat. Which is also untrue.
I really have no idea. I just know people in these positions don't get "laid off". When the company decides to lay them off, they retire or become a consultant or leave the company in some other more gradual less dramatic way. My guess is if this is happening I can certainly see it causing some confusion, especially if alongside other large layoffs.

I remember the same arguments being discussed above were bandied about when Tony Baxter was pushed out. No, they didn't do a complete termination, but they took all of his power and work away, and let him float and collect his pay for around a year and calling him a "consultant". And they did the same with Jay R. & Tom S. So I don't think we'll really know what happened until 6 to 12 months down the road.

And then he "retired", very gracefully I might add. Even gave him a window on Main Street.

All-in-all, the way Disney handled it on a public level was pretty fantastic, although a large part of that had to do with Tony playing ball. (he really wanted that window!)

And then he "retired", very gracefully I might add. Even gave him a window on Main Street.

All-in-all, the way Disney handled it on a public level was pretty fantastic, although a large part of that had to do with Tony playing ball. (he really wanted that window!)
Exactly. It was all very gracious. Though since the window, Baxter has sometimes been critical of Disney's direction.