MIB: Alien Attack Revamp? | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

MIB: Alien Attack Revamp?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Why does everyone want Simpsons out? I love walking through Springfield and ride is, imo, the best motion simulator at USF.

It just seems like an easy candidate since the other two flying theaters are Universal-owned properties and newer. The contract expires in 2028. Believe me, I used to like Simpsons when there were just three other screen rides at Studios.

Reactions: DodgsonHere
I think the corner between Simpsons and MIB is too important for HHN plus back of house services like storage, parade building, laundry etc.

I don't think that replacing Kidzone is going to be easy as the park needs an area for younger kids. While Universal caters to an older age group than Disney, families with younger kids could be put off without having an area for kids under 10.

The best plan for Universal going forward with ride replacement would be to start removing screen heavy attractions like Shrek and Simpsons. SLOP seems like a perfect fit.

I would love to see a water ride in the park.
They built the new Parade/Entertainment building to consolidate a lot of those requirements, and they plan on shifting a good bit of that storage space to the southern property. The sprungs are still just on wood platforms and easily moved. They have some flexibility back there. I think, long term, they want to do a lot in that corner specifically for HHN.

Reactions: Clive and Coolbfitz
Why does everyone want Simpsons out? I love walking through Springfield and ride is, imo, the best motion simulator at USF.

It just seems like an easy candidate since the other two flying theaters are Universal-owned properties and newer. The contract expires in 2028. Believe me, I used to like Simpsons when there were just three other screen rides at Studios.

For clarification's sake:

The contract end date is not public and officially unknown, but it is expected that it was for a standard 20-year deal. We don't know what the renewal stipulations are, and if Universal would want to renew a deal with the competition.

Beyond that, the ride system will be approaching 40 years old by the time 2028 rolls around.

It's not wanting it out, but reading the tea leaves.

The writing, gags, and jokes on the ride are all top notch, but the actual visuals have aged poorly and the underlying motion technology is the oldest simulator in the park (dating back to Back to the Future: the Ride). Additionally, the contract allowing Universal usage of the Simpsons characters is thought to expire in the later part of this decade (~2028), and now that Disney owns the Simpsons they are unlikely to renew it, meaning the area will have to be replaced.

Edit: looks like I took too long to respond and Brian already gave a better version of the same answer as me.

I think the corner between Simpsons and MIB is too important for HHN plus back of house services like storage, parade building, laundry etc.

I don't think that replacing Kidzone is going to be easy as the park needs an area for younger kids. While Universal caters to an older age group than Disney, families with younger kids could be put off without having an area for kids under 10.

The best plan for Universal going forward with ride replacement would be to start removing screen heavy attractions like Shrek and Simpsons. SLOP seems like a perfect fit.

I would love to see a water ride in the park.

They could design house space into new lands/ride buildings. A multi story building with a floor dedicated to overflow queue could easily be designed to have that space be used as house space.

Some of the back of house area would have to be preserved, but a lot of it could be shifted to other parts of the property if push came to shove.

Uni owns plenty of IP's to replace KZ between illumination and Dreamworks.

I agree that they need to diversify their rides in the park. A Shanghai pirates type boat ride with more water effects and a splashdown would probably be ideal, but who knows if they'd build that.

My point was just that they don't have to limit themselves to the "Kidzone", "Simpsons", and "MIB/FFL" areas divided as they are. Everything in there is semi-expendable. The logistics of the FFB building probably prevent a complete restructuring more than anything. That's not a cheap building to replace, and even if you do, whatever you replace it with will have the same needs and obstacles.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
They could design house space into new lands/ride buildings. A multi story building with a floor dedicated to overflow queue could easily be designed to have that space be used as house space.

Some of the back of house area would have to be preserved, but a lot of it could be shifted to other parts of the property if push came to shove.

Uni owns plenty of IP's to replace KZ between illumination and Dreamworks.

I agree that they need to diversify their rides in the park. A Shanghai pirates type boat ride with more water effects and a splashdown would probably be ideal, but who knows if they'd build that.

My point was just that they don't have to limit themselves to the "Kidzone", "Simpsons", and "MIB/FFL" areas divided as they are. Everything in there is semi-expendable. The logistics of the FFB building probably prevent a complete restructuring more than anything. That's not a cheap building to replace, and even if you do, whatever you replace it with will have the same needs and obstacles.
HHN and house locations certainly adjust around park expansion..They would figure it out per usual

Except HHN isn’t a priority for Creative. There’s little cross-talk in that regard because they’re two completely different elements of the parks. If it was a priority, they would have built space into F&F for a house. And we know they didn’t because they didn’t use it.

I never knew how smoothly the Big Bug at the end used to move.

Yeah, a lot of the figures have sadly lost significant mobility over the years. Other than the Big Bug, the most prominent troubled figure is probably the armored reptilian alien just as you make the big U-Turn into Time Square. He has his own audio track but looks like he's just sort of limped over, wobbling. I haven't seen him upright and moving as intended in many years.

I'd be devastated if they got rid of MIB. It's a great go to ride when you want a little break from the sun during the day or the crowds at HHN. Line is always short and you always have a good time trying to beat each other's score. Took my nephew to Universal for the first time last year and he was TERRIFIED of going on it since he knew MIB was about "monsters", but after forcing him on it he demanded go right back on. So it still has relevance for the next generation of kids who might not know much about the show. But, as said, it could certainly use a revamp and the guns need to be updated so they actually work. And they can't do anything stupid like replace Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones with Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson.

I love the Simpsons, but HATE their ride. Hated BTTF and hate this even more, it makes me so sick that even closing my eyes at the "bad parts" like I can on Transformers doesn't work. But I love the whole Simpsons land. If they demolished the ride and put anything else in there, I'd miss the carnival games but wouldn't be at all upset, but keep Moe's, Quickimart, Duff Gardens, etc. Kids seem to love the Hurl & Twirl too.

Yeah, a lot of the figures have sadly lost significant mobility over the years. Other than the Big Bug, the most prominent troubled figure is probably the armored reptilian alien just as you make the big U-Turn into Time Square. He has his own audio track but looks like he's just sort of limped over, wobbling. I haven't seen him upright and moving as intended in many years.

Also the ambush main figure along with the chess playing figures. Sigh. MiB needs some love...

(Total Blue Sky) If MIB went trackless and received the proper upgrades, I would consider it the best attraction on the planet.
Imagine the scene where the two vehicles face off but in a larger room and trackless. So many possibilities with the vehicles spinning and moving around each other, hiding behind cover and then popping out for a surprise attack. It will never happen at MiB, but it’s fun to dream.

Imagine the scene where the two vehicles face off but in a larger room and trackless. So many possibilities with the vehicles spinning and moving around each other, hiding behind cover and then popping out for a surprise attack. It will never happen at MiB, but it’s fun to dream.
Someone brought up the idea of the vehicles "dancing" around each other as you try to hit the other car, which that alone would make a full trackless renovation worth it IMO.