Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

I will never forgive this ride for not being in Animation Courtyard. Totally unnecessary to put this in GMR, as much as the ride was on life support as is. Some of the effects could be fun. But they're really limiting the benefits to DHS with its placement.
They could've waited after SW Galaxy's edge opens to replace Launch Bay with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. There would be no reason to have it after the land opens and the new attraction would open in time for WDW's 50th anniversary, 2021

That's certainly true, but it all depends if Disney wants all of this open for the 50th or if they want to save some of the Epcot stuff for Epcot's 40th.

Of course with UoE closing on August 13th, it would be fairly absurd if they can't have GotG open for the 50th.

I dont think we'll see much in front of Energy for a while but the backstage reworking in that area is going to cause a good bit of operational chaos. There's a reason Energy has been in that spot since the earliest concepts for the park, hasn't moved, and has not been expanded around or anything. It's modest, but an important artery for the park.

That's certainly true, but it all depends if Disney wants all of this open for the 50th or if they want to save some of the Epcot stuff for Epcot's 40th.

Of course with UoE closing on August 13th, it would be fairly absurd if they can't have GotG open for the 50th.

Especially with them reusing the Energy building for at least half the show building. Those who keep saying 2022 are a tad stuck in their cynical eye towards Disney.

However IF Energy just sits there with zero work done behind and/or on the building itself for an extended period of time, I might change my tune.

As for RR, I think Joe is ultimately right: spring 2019 for something to advertise in lieu of DL throwing the doors open to SWL while DHS' is still finishing up construction.

They could've waited after SW Galaxy's edge opens to replace Launch Bay with Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. There would be no reason to have it after the land opens and the new attraction would open in time for WDW's 50th anniversary, 2021

The ride was made to fit the footprint of GMR. GMR is low-rated and not well attended, and Animation Courtyard is earmarked for other, bigger things. Like Nick said, best to rip the band aid off now.

Especially with them reusing the Energy building for at least half the show building. Those who keep saying 2022 are a tad stuck in their cynical eye towards Disney.
A lot of the cynicism comes from Disney announcing things so early too (Looking at you Pandora...) or backing out on announced projects (Unbuilt Epcot pavilions, Disney Decade, and most recently, Hyperion Wharf).

As long as Disney doesn't pull a Backlot Tour here and actually gets to work on gutting the inside and work on expansion behind the building shortly after, then I see this opening no later than 2020-ish.

And i'll third that I think Mickey should be a fairly quick turnaround. I think the hardest part for all of us as fans is all of the work will be done inside, so we won't see any progress until it the day it opens, really.

A lot of the cynicism comes from Disney announcing things so early too (Looking at you Pandora...) or backing out on announced projects (Unbuilt Epcot pavilions, Disney Decade, and most recently, Hyperion Wharf.

Is it too hypocritical to hope Disney comes through on this "incompetence" with Pixar Pier? :lol:

This was my favorite announcement from D23. :lol: I thought we were all on board for the Mickey ride from the other thread? Yes, I wasn't expecting it to be based off this style of Mickey but those shorts are actually so good and really funny. Glad they're going to close GMR sooner rather than later so that it's hopefully open by 2019.

There was a rumor floating around that they were originally going to put this in DCA as well. Well, it doesn't sound like we're getting it over here. I wonder if that's because TDA saw it and was like, "Nah, bro we're good. We don't want this."

If this whole ride is all digital mapping that what a wasted opportunity. This sounds like a very rushed replacement for GMR. I hope I'm wrong.
Lol this made me laugh.

This is a win for Disney. But a nightmare right now for operations. A lot of people mock GMR for having 5-15 minutes waits, but that's only because of its huge capacity. The day it goes down, DHS will be one hectic place.
As soon AS GMR closes down, ticket prices for that park need to come down substantially.

Second favorite ride at Hollywood after Toy Story. Going to miss ya Great Movie Ride!

They can't lower ticket prices for a multitude of reasons. One if which being if the cost is down it will drive more traffic to that park in particular, which in turn will exasperate the bad situation with long lines at the already stretched thin only four rides left at the park.

It's better for them to continue to offer temporary attractions like Pixar Live and Disney Movie Magic, more meet and greets likes Baby Groot and BB-8 and hope people don't complain too much until Toy Story Land opens next year.

The ride was made to fit the footprint of GMR. GMR is low-rated and not well attended, and Animation Courtyard is earmarked for other, bigger things. Like Nick said, best to rip the band aid off now.
I agree. Great Movie Ride always felt like it was never fully living up to its potential, at least in recent years. While it sucks that they're not refining it to be as great as it could be, I still have a gut feeling that this Mickey attraction is going to be a drastic improvement for both the GP and theme park fans.

While it sucks that they're not refining it to be as great as it could be, I still have a gut feeling that this Mickey attraction is going to be a drastic improvement for both the GP and theme park fans.

We'll see. I hope you're right. It's just a shame that all the beautiful and intricate sets in The Great Movie Ride are being lost in exchange for a ride that isn't shaping up to have many (if any). Ditto for the AAs.

I thought limited movement robots were cool in 1969. I fail to see the fascination with them these days.
Yea, there's a reason Transformers: The Ride doesn't feature any moving AA figures. The fast motion of the characters on screen doesn't translate well into real world figures. And the drastic difference between them would be jarring.

The seated slow moving goblins in the lobby of Gringotts work because they're supposed to be moving slow. The Navi Shaman of Songs works because they pumped millions of dollars into her.

There may be some real sets in this ride, but I seriously doubt there will be even one AA character at all. They just can't move the way the Mickey Shorts characters move.

I thought limited movement robots were cool in 1969. I fail to see the fascination with them these days.

It's very simple for me: I'd rather see something physically there in front of me. Something that actually had to be built, constructed, crafted, sculpted, and painted is - generally - more impressive and immersive to me than watching a projected effect or a ride film.

It's very simple for me: I'd rather see something physically there in front of me. Something that actually had to be built, constructed, crafted, sculpted, and painted is - generally - more impressive and immersive to me than watching a projected effect or a ride film.
None of them are truly "immersive" to me. They all require the suspension of disbelief. Or as I like to call it, apathy level. I always say that I am not really a fan of AAs. But that's not true. I just think they are really difficult to use and it not look like a wax museum. I like the goblins in Gringott's. The Hall of Presidents is a mixed bag. I love all the guys hanging out and swaying and fidgeting behind the obvious motorized wax figure "talking" up front. Back in the '70s the way Disney presented things was cool because it was new and amazing. Now it's quaint and nostalgic. But I'm really ok with this not being another slow drag through a wax museum. Been there, done that about a thousand times. For me, screens or AAs, I don't really care as long as you show me something cool with extra points going to things with some real depth. These new Mickey shorts are pretty sharp and some of the more clever stuff to come from the Disney company in quite a while. So I am hopeful that they will show me something cool with this one.

None of them are truly "immersive" to me. They all require the suspension of disbelief. Or as I like to call it, apathy level. I always say that I am not really a fan of AAs. But that's not true. I just think they are really difficult to use and it not look like a wax museum. I like the goblins in Gringott's. The Hall of Presidents is a mixed bag. I love all the guys hanging out and swaying and fidgeting behind the obvious motorized wax figure "talking" up front. Back in the '70s the way Disney presented things was cool because it was new and amazing. Now it's quaint and nostalgic. But I'm really ok with this not being another slow drag through a wax museum. Been there, done that about a thousand times. For me, screens or AAs, I don't really care as long as you show me something cool with extra points going to things with some real depth. These new Mickey shorts are pretty sharp and some of the more clever stuff to come from the Disney company in quite a while. So I am hopeful that they will show me something cool with this one.

Fair enough!

I'd be curious to hear what you think of Mystic Manor, which - based only on the videos I've seen, of course - seems like it's exactly the sort of ride that would probably satisfy and excite people on both sides of this issue. It really does seem like it incorporates the best of all worlds and techniques in a really organic way. If I thought Runaway Railway was going to be in that vein, I'd be ecstatic.

Fair enough!

I'd be curious to hear what you think of Mystic Manor, which - based only on the videos I've seen, of course - seems like it's exactly the sort of ride that would probably satisfy and excite people on both sides of this issue. It really does seem like it incorporates the best of all worlds and techniques in a really organic way. If I thought Runaway Railway was going to be in that vein, I'd be ecstatic.
Mystic Manor looks amazing. And I liked how the used the Monkey AA for the most part.

This is going to be an FX tour de force. I believe that this will be an E Ticket.

Since this is technically the "central icon" location attraction, I really hope they don't half ass it, but with Star Wars sucking up budget, I don't have the highest hopes.

Since this is technically the "central icon" location attraction, I really hope they don't half ass it, but with Star Wars sucking up budget, I don't have the highest hopes.
I think it may be a relatively inexpensive ride to create, but still impressive nonetheless. I think they picked a good idea for the new tech too.

I'm still annoyed over the closure of GMR for this new ride choice. Maybe it will seem better once they actually release more info for it, but as of right now... it sounds like one big pile of :poop:

In regards to Animation Courtyard's future demise... the reason this isn't becoming a new ride over in that area is because that is apparently going to become "Monstropolis" or whatever other Pixar IP they choose. I'll believe it when I see it, but yea, even RNR is not long for this world. Expect the "Twilight Zone" theme to be removed from Tower of Terror in the near future as well. Won't be a GotG replacement obviously, but yea.. Twilight Zone is owned by CBS, which is owned by WB... you do the math. Its one of the main reasons why GMR is closing. Its a ride that shouldn't technically exist due to the fact that Disney doesn't own all of the films inside. Studios want $$$$, Disney (despite swimming in a bank vault like Scrooge McDuck) would rather get rid of said IPs for things they own. Its why partnering with other studios is bad. Its better to use what you own or buy it so you own it.

DHS is basically going to become a Pixar/Lucas Disney park... (It will always be MGM to me! ~B&T)