Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS) | Page 58 | Inside Universal Forums

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We've been over this many times, but GMR not only had ridership problems, it was a ride that was very expensive to maintain due to parts not being produced for the ride system anymore. They had to do *something* to the ride if MMRR didn't take over and the alternate plan was a redone ride with updated scenes... that would've cost more money than MMRR and in Disney's eyes, would've been more of a risky investment because they already had ridership numbers on GMR. By putting a Mickey & Minnie ride in, it's synergistic and guaranteed to be popular which is why it won out.

The same old ride wasn't staying no matter what.
One of the worst rated rides at WDW and the worst at DHS.

It was no longer a trip through the classics... it was a trip through 1939-1984.
The plot twist was tired.
The Alien scene was toned way down to not scare kids, which led to enthusiasts thinking it was broken.
Ride vehicle as you mentioned.

Just a genuine mess that is possibly the biggest ever beneficiary of WDW departed attraction nostalgia bias.

Watched a POV, I think it looks like like a good fun ride. The projections certainly give the ride a very unique environment. There are some moments that just flow nicely but really make me wonder how the effects were done. I really don't understand why people are against this ride. Seems to be an update to the classic Disney dark ride to me. I get people feel nostalgia for the GMR. But lets face it, that ride was outdated. Sure, I wish MMRR didn't replace a ride and GMR was still around just for the pure fact that DHS needs attractions. But to say this is not a worthy replacement for the GMR really baffles me. I think it fits perfectly in the Chinese theater aesthetic from what I have seen and it is something truly unique. To each their own I guess....

On a side note, I can't believe people aren't talking more about the pre-show. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

Final note, based on the POV I watched it looks like there are still some timing issues to be worked out.

A POV never does a ride justice, but for the hell of it here’s my initial reaction:

Surely is not bad in any facet, but I feel underwhelmed. I think this is a must see in person type ride, almost even more than Rise to appreciate and understand what’s going on. Not bad, kids will dig it for sure, but it’s just fine imo. Doesn’t seem much better than “Good”. Which again, isn’t a bad review but it does feel out of place in DHS. GMR was outdated and needed a replacement so I think this is fine. Again just a POV but my reaction the entire time was this is “fine”.

Reactions: HHN Yeti Lover
Watched a POV, I think it looks like like a good fun ride. The projections certainly give the ride a very unique environment. There are some moments that just flow nicely but really make me wonder how the effects were done. I really don't understand why people are against this ride. Seems to be an update to the classic Disney dark ride to me. I get people feel nostalgia for the GMR. But lets face it, that ride was outdated. Sure, I wish MMRR didn't replace a ride and GMR was still around just for the pure fact that DHS needs attractions. But to say this is not a worthy replacement for the GMR really baffles me. I think it fits perfectly in the Chinese theater aesthetic from what I have seen and it is something truly unique. To each their own I guess....

On a side note, I can't believe people aren't talking more about the pre-show. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

Final note, based on the POV I watched it looks like there are still some timing issues to be worked out.
On Magic last week, most of the people that rode loved the pre show, and some said it was the best part of the entire attraction.................I like the ride from what I see, though POV's never do any attraction justice. Looks ;like something I'd like to ride often with repeat rides. Seems like fun. Maybe not great status, but still pretty good.

Last edited:
yes. The big transformation happens in the last scene. Watched many videos of that part and it’s actually very cool. So many things raise or lower or turn.
rewatching, i think the room pre-post waterfall drop is a transformation too. looks like where animatronic mickey and money stood and were covered by leaves became coral

yes. The big transformation happens in the last scene. Watched many videos of that part and it’s actually very cool. So many things raise or lower or turn.

The factory machinery is projected onto sheets which then fold into trees. In the Attractions POV, there's a pretty obvious one on the left.

Looks like it will be a solid addition for Toontown but not a worthy replacement for the GMR IMO.
I liked GMR, but I feel like this is a solid addition.

I agree with both of you. The ride looks fun and colorful, and should please both families and fans of the characters. "Solid" is a good word.

But I also don't see this as truly filling the 20-minute-long, AA-rich void that the loss of the park's thesis attraction resulted in. Good decision for guest satisfaction, almost certainly, but not necessarily for my satisfaction!

Reactions: SpyderDan
If I had to put it in words, if Rise is going for grandeur, then Runaway Railway is going for charm.

You’re gonna walk off smiling, not gaping in awe. That sounds like damning praise, but it fits the IP to a tee, and DHS has plenty of ‘wow’, but not enough ‘fun’, at least in my opinion.