Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS) | Page 60 | Inside Universal Forums

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So, it took about 2.5 hours, but I did the thing. The line was moving really fast up until the ride breakdown, which lasted around 45 minutes + about 25 minutes of just getting through the backup of FP people. Knowing the layout of the queue now, I think I was on pace to get through the ride in under 90 minutes.

Anyways, I really enjoyed it. It's not a ride that will leave your jaw on the floor like Rise of the Resistance, but it IS a very charming ride that gave me some Roger Rabbit vibes. The ride is virtually like stepping into a Mickey Mouse cartoon - it was as if we were transported into a cartoon world (which is sort of the vibe that the cool pre-show was giving off). No, there's nothing that really looks too much like you're wearing 3D glasses (although there are a few spots where it's convincing), but I don't hold that against the ride as the way the ride plays with depth perception in general is such a huge plus to the attraction.

The animatronics... I heard some chatter about them not quite looking right beforehand, but had forgot that - until I saw Mickey and Minnie at the beginning of the ride. Something was off and I think it's the angle we're seeing them from or the projections are coming from maybe? The Mickey and Minnie at the end look perfect, which was weird. I thought Daisy and Pluto looked fine. I wasn't expecting the dome projection sequence that lasted maybe 15 seconds. With little to no motion base, I thought that was actually a waste and it made the ride instantly a bit too similar to RotR. I need another few rides to catch some of the details and hidden things like the nods to GMR. I have a fastpass for Saturday with others who will be going for the first time so i'll be interested to see their reaction.

I had heard a few reactions going in. A lot of “it’s cute!”. I didn't understand if that was a good thing or a backhanded compliment until riding. It just fits perfectly as a descriptor for the totality of the experience. If you've watched any of the new Mickey Shorts, this is just like hopping on inside and becoming part of the adventure. The art style throughout the attraction really helped with giving that feeling.

Looking at this, ROTR, M&M & Ratatouille are going to feel really similar, all opening back to back to back. But in a good way, though redundant.
You are correct that these rides are going to be compared simply because they all are trackless, have similar RVs, and segments in front of screens. So opening back-to-back-to-back will only amplify this. I was impressed with how large the "trains" were. I saw many seating 5 in a row and they weren't squished.

These three seem closer to the same feel than Spidey & Transformers ever felt.
This is where I disagree. I didn't feel like this ride was all that similar to RotR much at all. The tone is WAY different which is really a big thing. While RotR is constantly wowing you, MMRR is making you smile throughout. Families especially seemed to love the part with Daisy and I found it to be refreshing. The only thing that even made RotR cross my mind at all during the ride was the dome simulation sequence that was about 20 seconds.

Tone matters. Pirates of the Caribbean and It's a Small World both use the same ride system and Spaceship Earth and Little Mermaid are both Omnimovers. Despite the same similarities in ride system, those are completely different experiences and for the most part, I feel pretty similar here. I have no idea how Rat will fit into the equation, but it's also in another park so a little less worry. But my larger point is that we should be less worried about the Ride System, and more focused on the actual rides themselves. As long as they are differentiating from each other enough and even appealing to different age groups (imo, MMRR will be a much bigger hit with kids than RotR and RotR is the winner with teens and adults), that's all that matters.

Last edited:
While I did really enjoy the ride, the one thing i'm having a tough time forming an opinion on is if it fits well within it's spot in the park. My indecision has nothing to do with GMR as i've left that out of it and tbh, by the closure of the ride, I was ready to say goodbye anyway. The real reason I think is because the ride is such a PERFECT fit for DL's Toontown. Couldn't have asked for a better ride and i'm glad you guys are getting it in the appropriate place. I like the direction they went with it in this location, but if this ride had been built in animation courtyard and they built a little mini land around it, that could've been really cool and possibly more fitting.

Oh, the what ifs...

And it wouldn't slam the ride at opening so much either. Or maybe it would..

140min wait at 8:03 this morning. Park opened at 8am.

I was able to ride 3 times yesterday. Since I got there at 4:30 in the morning my first ride I walked right on when they opened it at 7am. My next ride it was a posted 140 wait and I waited 40 mins. Last ride was posted 180 and I waited about an hour and 15 minutes.

I enjoyed the ride. Lots of funny jokes and interesting things to look at. Very different experiences depending on your car location. I do love that the back row ends up in the front and visa versa by the end.

The AA faces kind of bug me, mostly the fact that I can see the disconnect between the snout and head sculpt. The AAs in the carnival scene and jungle look better as facing forward. Daisy and Pluto look best of course.

I think as others have said, having projections or even textured lighting on the floor in a couple scenes would help. But I also felt like having scenery suspended from the ceiling in the center of the rooms now and again would be nice too. There is a sense of everything happening around the perimeter of each room, to allow the RVs to move about in the middle. I’ve talked about the upcoming Beauty and the Beast ride probably having this issue. What’s the point of incredible AAs, or effects in this case, if the ride still feels “empty”.

All that said, I enjoy it, I am excited to ride it with my nieces who are too short to ride many of the attractions in the park currently. They’re going to love it to death. I love the Original song. Love the effects. Love the horn playing squid.

And definitely love a ride with a fast moving queue. Even waiting an hour never felt that bad. I forgot what it was like to go to the opening of a new ride and being able to actually ride it without stressing.

I think as others have said, having projections or even textured lighting on the floor in a couple scenes would help. But I also felt like having scenery suspended from the ceiling in the center of the rooms now and again would be nice too. There is a sense of everything happening around the perimeter of each room, to allow the RVs to move about in the middle. I’ve talked about the upcoming Beauty and the Beast ride probably having this issue. What’s the point of incredible AAs, or effects in this case, if the ride still feels “empty”.

This was my takeaway from videos.After things like Rise and Mystic Manor, all the Mickey scenes seem empty. It also seems like a lot of the scenes happen above the eye level, which seems awkward? How did you feel about that?

This was my takeaway from videos.After things like Rise and Mystic Manor, all the Mickey scenes seem empty. It also seems like a lot of the scenes happen above the eye level, which seems awkward? How did you feel about that?
I liked scenes like the carnival where while Mickey and Minnie and the twister were up high there was TONS of other characters to see down low. Also, the ride vehicles lend themselves well to looking up. If things were lower people’s heads would be in the way (and kids would miss 75% of things). I think it’s fine this way. I like the rocks in the center of the western scene. More central stuff would’ve helped the rooms feel fleshed out in my opinion.

Problem with things in the middle of rooms and hanging is the whole projection mapping stuff.
I’m aware of that. But they were able to pull it off in the western scene. It’s mostly a downside to this type of ride system.

Works better in an Star Destroyer setting, as we’re used to seeing empty floors and hallways in that environment. In a dark ride like this usually we have just a small section of track without theming, plus it usually curved to hide the emptiness. Think about the first scenes on Advrntures of Winnie the Pooh, going right then left and the way the overlapping scenery from the first part with the next section behind it creates real depth as we move through the room. With the trackless all the action is relegated to the walls, and while it’s amazing to look at, it feels less “immersive” to me.

I actually reallyliked the skinnier sections, like the aqueduct hallway and the city, as the skinny paths felt more like a traditional dark ride, but kept the projection mapped motif.

I was able to ride 3 times yesterday. Since I got there at 4:30 in the morning my first ride I walked right on when they opened it at 7am. My next ride it was a posted 140 wait and I waited 40 mins. Last ride was posted 180 and I waited about an hour and 15 minutes.

I enjoyed the ride. Lots of funny jokes and interesting things to look at. Very different experiences depending on your car location. I do love that the back row ends up in the front and visa versa by the end.

The AA faces kind of bug me, mostly the fact that I can see the disconnect between the snout and head sculpt. The AAs in the carnival scene and jungle look better as facing forward. Daisy and Pluto look best of course.

All that said, I enjoy it, I am excited to ride it with my nieces who are too short to ride many of the attractions in the park currently. They’re going to love it to death. I love the Original song. Love the effects. Love the horn playing squid.

And definitely love a ride with a fast moving queue. Even waiting an hour never felt that bad. I forgot what it was like to go to the opening of a new ride and being able to actually ride it without stressing.
Love the fact that your review came after multiple rides. That generally makes for a more fair and relevant review. :thumbsup:

Love the fact that your review came after multiple rides. That generally makes for a more fair and relevant review. :thumbsup:
And to be clear, I’m discussing what I felt was negative here because you guys actually appreciate theme park critique. The bottom line is the ride is really fun and makes me feel good when I ride it. Seriously, I’m still laughing at that squid! That, coupled with the fast throughput, means I’ll probably be riding this one A LOT for the rest of forever. It’s really cute.... And I do mean that in a good way. ;)

I just watched a video and I think it looks wonderful and very expensive.
To me it looked expensive, but feels like it was made to look cheap and like an old fashioned black light dark ride. I don't mean that in a bad way (I love the classics like Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, etc.), but the theme park geek in me was looking at how basically it felt like they were trying to create that look but in a modern way and spent TONS of money to do it. I don't know if the finished product really justified spending that much money.

The most eye catching thing to me was the fountain near the beginning of the ride which was done perfectly as a cartoon fountain. I'm still trying to figure out if it's just a practical effect with ribbons of striped material rotating or a projection effect, but it felt like a lot of the ride was like that where it could have just as easily been practical effects versus projections and been done cheaper.

To me it looked expensive, but feels like it was made to look cheap and like an old fashioned black light dark ride. I don't mean that in a bad way (I love the classics like Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, etc.), but the theme park geek in me was looking at how basically it felt like they were trying to create that look but in a modern way and spent TONS of money to do it. I don't know if the finished product really justified spending that much money.

The most eye catching thing to me was the fountain near the beginning of the ride which was done perfectly as a cartoon fountain. I'm still trying to figure out if it's just a practical effect with ribbons of striped material rotating or a projection effect, but it felt like a lot of the ride was like that where it could have just as easily been practical effects versus projections and been done cheaper.

The dark ride equivalent of making the pavement in Dinorama look old and worn?

Reactions: GAcoaster
The dark ride equivalent of making the pavement in Dinorama look old and worn?
PRECISELY! Over-Imagineered.

Just saw this article about the projection technology. Interesting to note they correct the previous claim about the "first attraction to feature Mickey Mouse" to "The ride is the first Disney ride-through attraction featuring Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse.". The article also is still saying the DL version is slated for 2022: Panasonic creates immersive cartoon world with first ever Disney ride-through attraction featuring Mickey Mouse and friends

Last edited: