Middle Earth coming to UOR? | Page 36 | Inside Universal Forums

Middle Earth coming to UOR?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would bet the house on a lord of the rings land coming to universal Orlando at some point depending how much other development went first.

Reactions: Disneyhead
Even with the new tv series, the movies will be 20 years old once any potential LOTR land is built - not exactly a current relevant IP by then.

That's not to say I wouldn't love it to be true though!

Even with the new tv series, the movies will be 20 years old once any potential LOTR land is built - not exactly a current relevant IP by then.

Some IPs are just timeless. These have all the books, the films, a new Amazon TV series. Final Lord Of The Rings is still one of the top box office performances of all time. I see your point, but it’s not like they’re plucking a random franchise here ya know. Hasn’t been a Monsters movie in forever really but hey we’re still getting a land there as well!

Let's see how the Bourne show turns out. If they can make a great attraction from a liked outdated IP, then I'm sure they'll be able to do something better with a beloved outdated IP.

The IP is 83 years old. Middle Earth first appeared in 1937 with The Hobbit. The Lord of the Rings followed in 1954.

The IP has the timeless weight of literature behind it. Like Shakespeare, these stories will still be being told in a hundred years.

I have to say, an article I read yesterday regarding the new Amazon series cracked me up. They claimed that the series would fail because it would only be a cheap sexless rip-off of Game of Thrones. When IRL GoT was just a cheap sexed up rip-off of the LotR.

The IP is 83 years old. Middle Earth first appeared in 1937 with The Hobbit. The Lord of the Rings followed in 1954.

The IP has the timeless weight of literature behind it. Like Shakespeare, these stories will still be being told in a hundred years.

I have to say, an article I read yesterday regarding the new Amazon series cracked me up. They claimed that the series would fail because it would only be a cheap sexless rip-off of Game of Thrones. When IRL GoT was just a cheap sexed up rip-off of the LotR.
*Disney angrily buys HBO in spite*

There are very few "evergreen" IPs, and this is one of the few that hasn't been developed by the theme parks yet. It only makes sense that this could be happening since it's connected to Time Warner, and AT&T is looking to raise cash right now.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Interesting to see this come up again, did it ever go away?

My 2 cents.
Perfect IP and land to open in the existing parks, aim for around the same time as Epic opening to keep fans flocking to the existing parks and not just Epic.

Yup. This is the last big IP as far as I’m concerned and I’m not even a fan.

It will be a sure fire way to get people back to the current resort and 2025 opening sounds like the ideal time.

It’s going to require a lot of room and not just for the potential of what is planned but for potential future expansion.

I may have misread this somewhere, but is there room behind Lost Continent for expansion? I’d assume not, but if there is that location to me would make more sense.

If this can somehow open by 2025 that’s genius for Universal, they’d now have the Potter crowds, LOTR/Hobbit crowds, and the Nintendo/gaming crowds hooker on their resort.

The future of Universal really is bright

I wonder if they would try the 2 separate park areas again with some mode of connection between them but you would need something on the parameter of both parks connecting like LC and just to throw a massive can of gasoline on this, didn’t @Brian G. say that if Mummy was to go it would be like 5 years from now.

I wonder if they would try the 2 separate park areas again with some mode of connection between them but you would need something on the parameter of both parks connecting like LC and just to throw a massive can of gasoline on this, didn’t @Brian G. say that if Mummy was to go it would be like 5 years from now.

Nope. I said to make peace with the idea that Mummy could be gone. The "5 years from now" was just pointing out that it will be a 20-year old ride system.

Nope. I said to make peace with the idea that Mummy could be gone. The "5 years from now" was just pointing out that it will be a 20-year old ride system.

It's not like the coaster manufacturer has gone bust or it's been exposed to the higher G forces and external weather that Hulk and DC had to endure. I don't see any reason why they couldn't keep it going for as long as they want unless they have a better idea for the plot of land.

Not that I'm saying LOTR is going there because it sounds like a theming nightmare.

Reactions: Dhdhddh
It's not like the coaster manufacturer has gone bust or it's been exposed to the higher G forces and external weather that Hulk and DC had to endure. I don't see any reason why they couldn't keep it going for as long as they want unless they have a better idea for the plot of land.

Not that I'm saying LOTR is going there because it sounds like a theming nightmare.
I think people forget how big the Mummy showbuilding is...Also, if you add in the F&F show building and some backstage area you have an incredibly big plot

Quoting from the discussion:

1. Universal doesn't cling to nostalgia.
2. Monsters (with Mummy) IP looks to be moving to EU. Universal also rebooting Monsters franchise in the movies.
3. The ride system is getting older each day.
4. It's not closing any time soon; and if it did - it would be in a post-EU world. It could be 5 years, it could be 10 years. They also could close it up tomorrow.

Something is going to give eventually. It could be a refurb, it could be a complete gutting. That's the point of it all. We don't know. There are too many variables to get worked up about it now.

The overall point was it's not untouchable.

I think people forget how big the Mummy showbuilding is...Also, if you add in the F&F show building and some backstage area you have an incredibly big plot

Let's say Universal go all in and connect LC to the Mummy and relocate Stage 33, tech services and whatever that other building is behind LC.

14.5 acres.

uor 14.5 acres.JPG

Reactions: Dhdhddh