Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (DHS)

It will basically feel just like Star Tours, period.
Star Tours is not capable of doing the majority of the things this ride will be doing. It's like the Soarin' vs. Flight of Passage debate all over again. Some will never see it as a slight improvement upon an existing ride, others will see it differently.

I'm keeping my expectations for this ride in check certainly, but minimizing it to Star Tours 3.0 is also something i'm not buying into at this point in time.

Star Tours is not capable of doing the majority of the things this ride will be doing. It's like the Soarin' vs. Flight of Passage debate all over again. Some will never see it as a slight improvement upon an existing ride, others will see it differently.

I'm keeping my expectations for this ride in check certainly, but minimizing it to Star Tours 3.0 is also something i'm not buying into at this point in time.

What are those things? 3 axis ride movement for both. The two new things are button pushing, which for most everyone except MAYBE the pilot and gunner, it is Mission Space stuff, just more than once a ride. The second is the dome screen, which will lose it's effect with each row two. And even teh button pushing seems to be possibly a bad idea for those that easily get motion sickness. You have to look to your side to see the button... vertigo time.

I think the 2 people in front could have an exceptional ride experience. Second row will be Star Tours with a bigger screen, at least if for some reason the Falcon loses huge ceiling panels without losing cabin pressure. The last row is Star Tour 2, yes 2, at best really. They will see a small screen, hit some flashing buttons, and get to walk in to the Millennium Falcon.

I just see the battle for front row on this becoming a HUGE issue. Almost to the level I could see it requiring a different FP. Like there being FPs for rows, where essentially only long stay Disney Resort guests get to sit there. Plus a lucky 33% of standby, perhaps after winning a wrestling match.

I think of how this ride is supposed to be all immersive, and how you are entering the Falcon, and can't see anyone else, well except a guide you'll have. But unless they talk about where you are sitting before you even enter, it's going to be ugly. I guess they could hope each group will have clueless folks in it, but some won't, and after 3 hours of waiting, I don't see people volunteering for the back row.

What are those things? 3 axis ride movement for both. The two new things are button pushing, which for most everyone except MAYBE the pilot and gunner, it is Mission Space stuff, just more than once a ride. The second is the dome screen, which will lose it's effect with each row two. And even teh button pushing seems to be possibly a bad idea for those that easily get motion sickness. You have to look to your side to see the button... vertigo time.

I think the 2 people in front could have an exceptional ride experience. Second row will be Star Tours with a bigger screen, at least if for some reason the Falcon loses huge ceiling panels without losing cabin pressure. The last row is Star Tour 2, yes 2, at best really. They will see a small screen, hit some flashing buttons, and get to walk in to the Millennium Falcon.

I just see the battle for front row on this becoming a HUGE issue. Almost to the level I could see it requiring a different FP. Like there being FPs for rows, where essentially only long stay Disney Resort guests get to sit there. Plus a lucky 33% of standby, perhaps after winning a wrestling match.

I think of how this ride is supposed to be all immersive, and how you are entering the Falcon, and can't see anyone else, well except a guide you'll have. But unless they talk about where you are sitting before you even enter, it's going to be ugly. I guess they could hope each group will have clueless folks in it, but some won't, and after 3 hours of waiting, I don't see people volunteering for the back row.
I guess we will have to see but I’m pretty sure a ride as old as Star Tours even with the updates wouldn’t match up with a brand new attraction with the latest technology.

Do we still have folks thinking the pilot will have absolute control of the ship? That the control yolk won't be insanely dampened? They really think if the pilot take a hard ride, then a hard left, that the motion base will go insane?

Do we still have folks thinking the pilot will have absolute control of the ship? That the control yolk won't be insanely dampened? They really think if the pilot take a hard ride, then a hard left, that the motion base will go insane?

I doubt they'll give you complete control, but I don't think guests are going to fly casually.

My guess, is that its running in real time, and will be pilotable, on a Galaga/Auto Scroller style simulation. They likely didn't hype their collab with Nvidia for nothing.

I doubt they'll give you complete control, but I don't think guests are going to fly casually.

My guess, is that its running in real time, and will be pilotable, on a Galaga/Auto Scroller style simulation. They likely didn't hype their collab with Nvidia for nothing.

I think it was for very little in the end. Disney are the kings of overblown PR for new rides. We'll see, but if the pilot can simply move the Falcon a few feet left to right, and have a tiny bit of control over pitches, the ride could have easily been prerendered and on rails and 95% of riders wouldn't notice.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong and the pilot can make the other 5 riders sick, and crash the Falcon in the first 30 seconds. That would certainly be ground-breaking.

I think it was for very little in the end. Disney are the kings of overblown PR for new rides. We'll see, but if the pilot can simply move the Falcon a few feet left to right, and have a tiny bit of control over pitches, the ride could have easily been prerendered and on rails and 95% of riders wouldn't notice.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong and the pilot can make the other 5 riders sick, and crash the Falcon in the first 30 seconds. That would certainly be ground-breaking.

To put it to perspective: Secrets of The Empire, a joint between ILMxVOID, just because if you get shot by a stormtrooper, it never immediately meant game over. Sure, they have sensors that make you get the slightest feeling of being shot; but it didn't mean you died.

To put it to perspective: Secrets of The Empire, a joint between ILMxVOID, just because if you get shot by a stormtrooper, it never immediately meant game over. Sure, they have sensors that make you get the slightest feeling of being shot; but it didn't mean you died.

Of course. The Falcon can't crash, even though I think they did actually say that in an early video. Now they say the engineer may need to push a button to repair shields. Point is still that the PR crazy level spin should finally be sinking in to most folks as just that, spin. It was obvious to me from day one. You simply can't run 1500 people an hour through a ride that one of 6 riders has huge impact on the quality of the ride for the rest.

Look up "Virtual Jungle Cruise", I think it'll be a lot like that. It's almost like bumper bowling, you have a lot of options and choices but none of them end in catastrophic failure.

Lots of impressions floating around the net.

Overall reactions are “positive” but don’t seem overwhelmingly so.

One recent impression is piloting is similar to “Temple Run” . Where you are dodging obstacles on a predetermined path.

I don’t want to get into spoilers , but there is currently only one mission you can take and your actions only change the outcome slightly.

People seem split on what position is the best. If your ship takes a ton of damage the engineer is the most “active” seat, although you have the worst overall view. Gunners are busy but also pre occupied to pay attention . And pilots have the best view but their interactivity isn’t as exciting as you’d think.

Can’t wait to read more impressions...