Monsters Inc. Land | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Monsters Inc. Land

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The logic behind axing Muppets was that Disney leadership wanted to preserve AC for some larger scale expansion bigger than Monsters down the road. If Monsters takes over AC, perhaps they can put the larger expansion originally slated for AC in the area of Indy, Star Tours, and expand out into the parking lots.
It’s really been a 35 year disasterclass of land planning, but it all goes back to building a working studio with a small attraction attached and then being unwilling to scrape all of “working studio” buildings because they’re now occupied by operations leaders who get to park right outside their building in a shaded garage.

Don’t get too excited. That guy moving his office is just one of all people moving offices from around all WDW to a new consolidated location so they’re all working at same location. And may not be related at all, as this has been going on for a year.
They should do the entire area a solid and build a basic but nice office complex out in Hamlin/Winter Garden to take all of that traffic off of Reams/Western Way.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Hard disagree. If I’m paying good money, the ticket prices are only going to go higher, and don’t want to see less attractions, I think the backlash is justified.

This is not the first nor the last time that we're going to lose attractions to make way for new ones. They just need to be better than what it's replacing.

This is not the first nor the last time that we're going to lose attractions to make way for new ones. They just need to be better than what it's replacing.
To be fair, I think it's likely that the Door Coaster probably will be more "fun" to the GP and draw bigger crowds than Muppet-Vision ever will. Disney could absolutely consider that "better". But IMO a timeline where Post-GE Launch Bay outlasts Muppet-Vision 3-D is a doomed one.

As a huge Muppets fan who wants to see more of them in the parks, we collectively as a fanbase need to do a better job of accepting the fate of a 30+ year-old 3D film.

That being said, it should fully be put in the Launch Bay Area.
I feel like it is inevitable. But they should show up somewhere else. Wether that be in the hall of presidents, or somewhere new entirely. I still am not against a hypothetical updated version of the show like the country bears got (sans the Disney songs part of course) , if it had imagineers in their a game. I know the Jim Henson history would stink to lose, but the show could still be updated. It is a film after all. I would prefer a new dark ride of course, but that seems kinda unlikely.

Also martinsvids is now saying it’s still
Leaning towards muppets. Lord help us all

Last edited:
It's not that it's just a Muppets product or that it's 30+ years old. What really stings is it's Jim Henson's last work with these characters before his death. The site-specific installation of the material is also another issue, sure throw it on Disney+ but how will the AAs, effects, and live characters be handled? The reason why it's a theme park attraction is why it's so hard to experience other places! For that I think there's a good case to keep MuppetVision around just like Great Moments with Mr Lincoln or Carousel of Progress.

As a huge Muppets fan who wants to see more of them in the parks, we collectively as a fanbase need to do a better job of accepting the fate of a 30+ year-old 3D film.

That being said, it should fully be put in the Launch Bay Area.
I don’t even agree that it *should* go in animation courtyard instead of Muppets, I think this is feelings talking still. Just because there’s an underused part of the park doesn’t mean now is the right time to pull the trigger on building in the area. If this can fit in a rather small Muppets Courtyard, then it’s not the right thing to take up the main access point to land in Animation Courtyard that could fit another Galaxy’s Edge sized land if they wanted.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
If they are not going to use all of the backstage areas behind AC and Sunset, I'm sure they would design Monstropolis in a way to account for future access to the remaining space.

And also... I don't want Zootopia or Simpsons (the current leading rumors for what may come after Monsters), so the more we can push that off into the future, the more there's a chance those ideas get dropped entirely in favor of something else. Which I would prefer.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Do kids even care about the Muppets? Do they even know who they are?

You have to do what’s best for the park not what’s best for an attraction. And you have to keep future expansion in mind too. If it was designed to fit in the Muppets Courtyard and thus fits perfectly there do it.

The worst thing would be to move this to the courtyard and thus cutting off an easily accessed expansion plot. And then Muppets will get axed in 5-10 years anyway.

If Disney is really going to change their mind and keep Muppets 3D then move it to MagicEye like mentioned here. Lord knows that space is under utilized.

It's not that it's just a Muppets product or that it's 30+ years old. What really stings is it's Jim Henson's last work with these characters before his death.
This is such a bizarre argument to me. There’s a world where the Launch Bay was the last thing an Imagineer worked on before they died.

This isn’t to downplay the man’s legacy, but everyone dies at some point—that doesn’t mean their last work is automatically cast in stone. To think that the legacy of the man who wrote “Rainbow Connection” would be lessened because his last completed work (a theme park ride with a metatextual through line that says, “this is a corporate gimmick”) would be removed is a reach.

You don’t see people lining up to preserve A.I. because it was the last thing Kubrick had a hand in.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
Funny example since Spielberg worked hard to complete that project to preserve the last thing Kubrick worked on.
That wasn’t my point, though. It was a project worth seeing through to completion, sure.

Now, 25 years later, it’s an otherwise unremarkable footnote in his filmography. If I were to take away your copy of A.I. in exchange for [insert promising new film here], are you going to decline because it happened to be produced the year of his death? Especially when 2001, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Clockwork Orange, etc. still exist?

Funny example since Spielberg worked hard to complete that project to preserve the last thing Kubrick worked on.
Yeah, but then the project finished, it went in theaters, etc and most people don’t even know that was Kubrick’s last work. I don’t remember AI being shown on a daily basis in a dedicated space anywhere to honor Kubrick.

In this case, a theme park film was made with love by Henson, he tragically dies, it becomes widely documented among muppet fans, theme park fans, and the entertainment community that it’s his last work. And it plays for 33 years straight and counting to this point.

I get it was his last work, but 33 years is more than a respectful amount of time to show that work to thousands every single day.

But the facts of the matter are that DHS only has so much room and whether it’s now or in a few years, MV3D will be replaced, it’s inevitable given the lack of expansion room the park has. If this land was designed specifically to fit such a cozy plot of land as Muppets, I kinda think that’s where it should go because I think if Monsters goes in AC, I fear we will ultimately regret that decision in the long term.

Well, whatever it is, I hope muppets lives, and I hope we find out soon. It’s crazy how so many people have so many different thoughts. Kinda unprecedented. I wonder why.

I honestly am not sure who to believe. Martinsvdis said it’s still muppets, if that means anything.

Last edited: