Most Underrated/Overrated | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Most Underrated/Overrated

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: Jungle Cruise. People just don't get it.
Most Overrated: Dumbo. How parents wait in line for that ride with their kids is mind boggling to me.

Epcot
Most Underrated: Sum of All Thrills. Not using the Kuka arms to their potential, but still a lot of fun. And gotta love the engineering love.
Most Overrated: Soarin'. It's nice, not great. Nice. Definitely not worth the waits it gets.

Disney's Hollywood Studios
Most Underrated: Great Movie Ride. One of Disney's best attractions. Deserves an update.
Most Overrated: Rockin 'n Rollercoaster. It's really good, but not as great as some people make it out to be. Too short.

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated: Tough one, but I guess It's Tough to Be a Bug. It is a pretty good show.
Most Overrated: Rapids. If anyone likes this ride, it's overrated. Terrible.

Universal Studios Florida
Most Underrated: Horror Make-Up. Not enough people know this exists. My favorite live show in Orlando.
Most Overrated: Rock-it. Terrible coaster.

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: Cat in the Hat. Really good, and mostly classic dark ride.
Most Overrated: The Hulk. It's not like it's bad, I just feel like it loses steam after the beginning.

SeaWorld Orlando
Most Underrated: Not really sure, but I guess the Sea Lions Tonight show. Really surprised me with how good it was.
Most Overrated: I don't get the Kraken love. It's meh to me.

This :lol:. For shame, Vyrus.

What would you call it?

Posted my explanations.

I'd qualify Olli's as an experience, and everyone is not going to have the same one (i.e. You get picked, which only happens if you're a young'n). It's an excuse (a smart one at that) to usher you right into the shops to start using that credit card. Furthermore, it only lasts for 2-4 minutes.

Tiki Room is an attraction, which lasts (counting the pre-show) 15 minutes and everyone gets the same experience. It also has a huge amount of animatronics, a bunch of songs written exclusively for it, and is fun for all ages.

You can hate on either one, but I wouldn't qualify Olli's as an attraction...and I definitely don't think it can be compared to Tiki Room.

I'd qualify Olli's as an experience, and everyone is not going to have the same one (i.e. You get picked, which only happens if you're a young'n). It's an excuse (a smart one at that) to usher you right into the shops to start using that credit card. Furthermore, it only lasts for 2-4 minutes.

I wasn't being objective at all when I put it as underrated, and I knew that. For me, it's the fact that you get to experience one of the most iconic moments from Harry's story, whether you get chosen or not. I do get what you're saying about its attraction status, though.

And I've heard of lots of adults getting chosen, actually. Maybe it is kids most of the time, but it's not particularly rare to see, er, older wizards being fitted for their wands. :shrug:

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: Carousel of Progress - such a lovely piece of entertainment. Sure, it's old, the last scene needs updating, and it doesn't appeal to most people under 30, but it has history and heart. The characters are lovable, charming and easy to listen to, the sets are a feast for the eyes, and the ride system is ingenious. I can tell why Walt loved this one.
Most Overrated: Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - man, I loved this ride until I visited Uni for the first time and took a spin on MIB. This ride pales in comparison and shows its true colors - a cheap retrofit of an existing space. Way too many cutouts for the ride to have any true depth (both literally and figuratively). The plot is cute and done well enough, but Disney could do so much more with this type of attraction (and no, I don't mean Midway Mania). Oh, and the bolted down guns blow!

Epcot
Most Underrated: Living with the Land, I guess. It's a decent attraction that acts as good filler and includes some fun education. I really picked this one out of lack of any other choices... many of Epcot's attractions are sadly overrated or otherwise mediocre.
Most Overrated: Soarin`. This is seriously considered an E-Ticket, the "top" ride of the park? Cmon. It's a very, very bare bones simulator - and it doesn't do a very good job hiding that it's just that, a simulator. There's very little excitement once your in the air, you're just staring at a blurry/dusty/old projected image of California. The concept is great, but the execution is minimal and leaves much to be desired. Oh, and the California film instead of a new one (say, around the USA, or around the world?) Pretty lame...

Most Underrated: The Great Movie Ride, easily. This ride is on such a grand scale that I fall in love with it every time. The films are well chosen, the driver/hijacking/audience interaction is fun, the animatronics are a marvel (especially Wicked Witch)... the pacing may be a little slow, but I love that the ride is so lengthy - allows you plenty of time to savor the spectacle around you. It's a huge shame the ride is so hidden and even bemoaned by some fans as "boring" or "dated..."
Most Overrated: Rock'n'Roller Coaster. This ride is all too short with some pretty flimsy theming. I don't get why the pixie dusters harp on Uni for its coaster rides when they have this "gem" sitting in their backyard... sure, it might be indoors, but it's still just a roller coaster in dim light with some cheap flats. Is it fun? Sure. Is it worthy of its "best ride in the park" status? No way.

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated: Dinosaur. There frankly aren't a lot of attractions to choose from. I really hate how Dinosaur's been toned down, with plenty of special effects removed, and even plenty of sets never installed due to DAK's accelerated opening... but that doesn't stop Dinosaur from being one hell of a ride. Plenty of amazing animatronics to see here with plenty of thrill... that, and for a Disney ride it's surprisingly scary. The plot's intensity is in your face and never lets up... the story overall is solid and well executed. Right now it's a very good attraction... it could be one of the best rides ever if it had reached its full potential.
Most Overrated: Expedition Everest. Frankly, I think you have a problem when you can count the ride's special effects on two hands... and can count the working ones on one. The focus seemed to be on the research for the queue and the facade of the mountain... which is great and all, but the ride is where it counts, and it underwhelms. I won't even get into the Yeti - even when he was working (and I saw it several times), while impressive, it didn't save this relative disappointment of a ride.

Most Underrated: E.T. Adventure - the thought of this ever leaving makes me so upset. ET is cornerstone of classic cinema and is represented so well through this attraction... it has an amazing original score, some jaw-dropping sets, beautiful flora/fauna/creatures, and is honestly just such an experience. It needs a good refurbishment to modernize the police officers/fix up some of the aliens, but the concept here is timeless. The moment you arrive on The Green Planet, with the enormous rock work, deafening steam, glowing magma, and foreboding score... it's one of my favorite moments in theme park history. Subtlety is lost on current attractions, this one has it. They don't make rides like this anymore.
Most Overrated: Shrek 4-D. I visited this recently during an early entry period and I shake my head at the absolute laziness of this attraction. The continuity of the film's plot and character motivations is broken clean in two, and the transition from the preshow to the main show doesn't even make sense. The film itself is amusing and has its moments, and I don't mind the loud moving chairs like some people do - my issue is with the total non-involvement of the audience. The theater is as bare as can be and contains plenty of contradictory theming (why is there a big Shrek banner in Farquaad's torture chamber?) I just go through this attraction and think to myself, we lost Hitchcock to this? I can't believe this is used as an advertising point for the park.

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: The Cat in the Hat - while it isn't as masterful as ET, Cat in the Hat is an extremely well executed dark ride that I feel doesn't get enough positive attention. The pacing and styling of the story is pitch perfect, it has plenty of delightful visual gags, sets, and animatronics, and it's a ride for the whole family - a class of rides in short supply at Islands of Adventure. I wish they'd fix some of the AAs (the mouths always seem to be a trouble spot), but otherwise this attraction is a real winner.
Most Overrated: Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls - this ride is a mess. The story has promise if you pay razor sharp attention in the queue, but none of it is followed up on in the ride itself... none of the scenes really connect together. I hate the argument that it's "supposed" to look cheap and cheesy, because it's that mindset that gave us such wonders as Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama. There was an opportunity here for a really cool flume ride that offered a quirky style with a little-seen cartoon character, but instead they cheapened out and gave us a minimalist theme park effort. The amount of decay, lack of maintenance, peeling paint, backstage areas, poor lighting and staging you see throughout this ride is downright depressing. At least the facade is beautiful - that is an achievement. Unfortunately, it seems all the focus and money went to that and not the ride itself.

Busch Gardens Tampa
Most Underrated: Gwazi - Okay, hear me out. Even though some of you will be terribly confused given my "Most Overrated" choice for this park, I have to pick Gwazi as my underrated - simply because while it's rough, I find it to be in the "good rough" class. I ride Gwazi and it kicks my ass - but it feels more like a positive achievement than a survival one. It might very well be the restraint system - there's nothing to bang my head on as I get whipped around. Gwazi's layout is killer and both tracks are great. I actually haven't tried the newer trains... maybe that'll make the ride even better? (For what it's worth, I rode the infamous Mean Streak @ Cedar Point plenty of times and never had a problem. I guess I just handle wooden coasters well?)
Most Overrated: Kumba - I really wanted to enjoy this coaster as the layout is pretty spectacular, but on all my rides I've been beaten to hell and back. I've tried sitting in every spot on the train, but it's always so rough! I seriously can't handle more than one ride per trip or I'll get a serious headache. Again, the layout is great (though not nearly as exciting as Montu), but I just can't handle the ride's fierceness for some reason...

Tiki Room is an attraction, which lasts (counting the pre-show) 15 minutes and everyone gets the same experience. It also has a huge amount of animatronics, a bunch of songs written exclusively for it, and is fun for all ages.

You can hate on either one, but I wouldn't qualify Olli's as an attraction...and I definitely don't think it can be compared to Tiki Room.

Agree to disagree I guess, lol.

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: TTA
Most Overrated: Dumbo

Epcot
Most Underrated: The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Most Overrated: Mission Space

Most Underrated: One Mans Dream
Most Overrated: The entire backlot

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated: Bugs Life 3D
Most Overrated: primevil whirl

Most Underrated: Shrek
Most Overrated: HRRR

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: Dr Doom
Most Overrated: Driving Machines

SeaWorld Orlando
Most Underrated: Waterfront
Most Overrated: Blue Horizons

Busch Gardens Tampa
Most Underrated: Kumba
Most Overrated: Rhino Rally

Epcot
Most Underrated: The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Most Overrated: Mission Space

I just find the Seas incredibly underwhelming. They need to fill the aquarium.

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: Dr Doom
Most Overrated: Driving Machines

I'd call the queue to Dr. Doom underrated, but the ride is deserving rated :lol:

And what is Driving Machines? :inquisitive:

Boredom has hit a new low I guess. Anyways:

MAGIC KINGDOM
Most underrated: People Mover
Most overrated: Peter Pan's Flight

EPCOT
Most underrated: Maelstrom
Most overrated: Soarin'

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
Most underrated: Great Movie Ride
Most overrated: TIE! Toy Story Mania/Rock 'n Rollercoaster

ANIMAL KINGDOM
Most underrated: It's Tough To Be A Bug
Most overrated: Dinosaur

SEA WORLD:
Most underrated: Stingray Lagoon
Most overrated: Wild Arctic

BUSCH GARDENS
Most underrated: Gwazi
Most overrated: Rhino Rally

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS
Most underrated: Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit(one of the most hated rides on OU, why?)
Most overrated: The Simpsons

ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE
Most underrated: Cat In The Hat
Most overrated: Harry Potter And The Forbidden Journey(one of the most loved rides on OU, why?)

I'll do the template later. But for now:

Overrated: Toy Story Mania -- It's a wii game with 3-D glasses. There is not point in this even being on a track. Take out the track and this would belong at DisneyQuest.
Underrated: DINOSAUR -- Everyone and their mother instantly becomes a Disneyland snob as soon as this ride is mentioned. Look, I get it, Indiana Jones is nice, but please stop jerking off to it.

MAGIC KINGDOM
Most underrated: I don't know. maybe people mover. I liked it the one time I went on it but everyone i've been with since has simply dismissed it as "dumb"
Most overrated: Dumbo. How is it not overrated. When most people think of Magic kingdom aside from maybe Cinderella this is what they think of

EPCOT
Most underrated: Captain EO. I do love cheese...soooo yeah I legitimately enjoy it and whatever showtime is next you can get in easy
Most overrated: Soarin'. Honestly yet to ride it...want to...but I can't imagine it being worth the 120min waits ive seen

HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS
Most underrated: Muppets.
Most overrated: Rock 'n Rollercoaster...a decent coaster. Haven't been on Toy Story.

ANIMAL KINGDOM
Most underrated: Everest. Thunder mountain...with a better than average queue. Fun, one of my favorite things in what is probably my least favorite orlando parks. Not a strong enough attraction to make me go to AK everytime I do disney (i'm a local that doesn't have an AP, but does get the occasional park-hopper)
Most overrated: Dinosaur. Just a lot of fun.

SEA WORLD:
Most underrated: Sea Lion/Otter show. My favorite show at the park.
Most overrated: Shamu...I don't know...I'm being defiant.

BUSCH GARDENS
Most underrated: Scorpian...or whatever they call it now. I'm not sure if they've changed the name, but no matter what I still like the Loop/Lap-bar combo
Most overrated: Montu. Not a huge fan of inverted coasters + I think it is the weakest of the Kumba/SheKra/Cheetah bunch.

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS
Most underrated: Twister. One of the weaker attractions, but it doesn't deserve all the hate it gets
Most overrated: The Simpsons. I have more fun looking around the Pre-show rooms than on the actual ride

ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE
Most underrated: Cat In The Hat
Most overrated: Dudley. Way too long of a wait. Especially considering there are 2 superior water rides right next door with Popeye (my favorite rapids ride) and JP (another flume-ish attraction)

^ You have some pretty strong statements and I can actually agree with a lot of what your saying , but Montu overrated!?

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: People mover such a calm relaxing ride rarely ever have I seen it have a line!!!
Most Overrated: Peter Pan it just seems so dull to me I mean its a nice ride its just really dated compared to the other rides in Orlando lol

Epcot
Most Underrated: Living with the Land or Misson Space(never has a line when I go, only on holidays lol)
Most Overrated: Soarin everytime I go even on the slower times always seems to have a 60-80 minute ride that really isn't that good to me lol

Most Underrated: This is a tough one im going to say Tower of Terror(I know alot of people love it but it never has a line when I go lol)or the Great Movie Ride lol
Most Overrated: Toy Story Mania enough said about that lol

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Most Underrated: Im going to go with Kali isn't the best water ride but still fun lol
Most Overrated: Everest (fun ride but the Yeti never works)

Most Underrated: ET I swear I never see a line for this out of the 7 years i've been going never seen a line once just have to wait in the waiting room lol
Most Overrated: Disaster rode it as Earthquake never bothered to ride it as Disaster and always seems to have a 30 plus wait

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: Dragon Challenge seems to never have a line even on busy times lol
Most Overrated: Love the ride and it deserves every amount of love and attention that it does but theres no denying that Forbidden Journey is very overrated

MAGIC KINGDOM
Most overrated: Dumbo. How is it not overrated. When most people think of Magic kingdom aside from maybe Cinderella this is what they think of

Maybe to people over 10+, but Dumbo is not there for our entertainment. It's a rite of passage for adults to see their children ride Dumbo for the first time.

Magic Kingdom
Most Underrated: People mover such a calm relaxing ride rarely ever have I seen it have a line!!!

Epcot
Most Underrated: Living with the Land or Misson Space(never has a line when I go, only on holidays lol)
Most Overrated: Soarin everytime I go even on the slower times always seems to have a 60-80 minute ride that really isn't that good to me lol

Most Underrated: This is a tough one im going to say Tower of Terror(I know alot of people love it but it never has a line when I go lol)or the Great Movie Ride lol

Most Underrated: ET I swear I never see a line for this out of the 7 years i've been going never seen a line once just have to wait in the waiting room lol

Islands of Adventure
Most Underrated: Dragon Challenge seems to never have a line even on busy times lol

Lack of wait does not equate to overrated/underrated....

^ You have some pretty strong statements and I can actually agree with a lot of what your saying , but Montu overrated!?

I was kinda struggling for something. Generally when people think Busch Gardens they think Coasters...so I took that as a guideline. I'm not much of a fan of the Water rides at BG, but no one has ever tried to convince me otherwise. And I'm one of those people that absolutely loves SheKra. Soooo that leaves...

Montu, which is a good coaster (I'm not hating on it by any means) but everyone I've been to BGT with seems to think it is the best coaster in the park....by far...and I disagree with that.

Maybe to people over 10+, but Dumbo is not there for our entertainment. It's a rite of passage for adults to see their children ride Dumbo for the first time.

You're probably right...but I've never seen it as more than a spinner ride that comes with hype.
To be fair I am 10+ and I don't have kids...as a College student I am very much out of the demographic. So it makes sense