Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MSHI Expansion?

Marvel characters in rides and their associated families. So no Spider-man family, X-Men, Fantastic Four, or Avengers.
I am quite positive that it only pertains to rides and the Marvel name. Thats why its just "Guardians of the Galaxy."

Here is the jist behind the Marvel, Universal, Disney stuff.

Marvel is currently owned by Disney and Disney owns all of their property, intellectual or physical. The thing is Marvel made a deal with Universal before they were bought by Disney. The deal basically guaranteed Universal a monopoly on all Marvel theme park rides within central florida and no other park can mention marvel in the their parks in central florida. This still applies today. The reason Guardians of the Galaxy could be featured at Hollywood Studios is most likely because Universal and Disney talked about it and eventually decided yes but without mentioning the Marvel name. The fact that it was temporary and just a movie preview probably also played a part. The Iron Man monorail was allowed because it never actually ran inside of a theme park, as the Magic Kingdom line doesn't go in a park. So it didn't not breach the original agreement.

Update: Also, Universal can do anything with the brand that they wish. The issue is the original agreement has an expiration date, whenever that is. The deal would need to be renegotiated before then or allowed to expire. If it does expire Disney will most likely force Universal to take down the land.

Hope this settles things.

Last edited:
^ Agreed, from what I understand Univesal has the rights to the characters that where there, east of the Mississippi, in their parks before the Disney/ marvel contract was signed. And they have them until Disney buys them out.

The initial agreement is available from the SEC filings at: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

In terms of the expiration date, here is the clause in Section III: "...the term of this agreement shall continue for so long as a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE shall remain open..."

Exclusivity is east of the Mississippi, not just Central Florida (reduced from potential world wide because Universal did not extend the rights or build it at another Universal.) Section IV if you want to read that as it is too much to copy here.

Universal has to follow the Marvel Style guides and universe, but Marvel has to make them and resources available to Universal so they can. This is partly from Section I "In developing and implementing THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, MCA will follow and be consistent with The Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe, Marvel’s Style Guide and such other descriptive design/style materials..." and also from Section VI "Marvel will reasonably cooperate in making information, artwork, archive material, key personnel, etc. available..." and "...Whenever Marvel has “reasonable” rights for rejection of approval hereunder, the basic criteria to be used by Marvel may include inconsistency with (i) basic story line, (ii) the powers, (iii) basic personality traits, (iv) physical appearance (including clothing or costume), and/or (v) living habitat or environment relating to such character as portrayed in Marvel’s exploitation of such character in comic books or other products for the particular time period being depicted by MCA."

There have been multiple great posts on this site by Mike from Parkscope, who is a contract Lawyer, breaking down the contract (to the point I am sure he is tired of doing so ) which is why I am posting the link and the excerpts so we hopefully don't have this thread going off the rails again. :blank:

This was mainly in reply to what IOA_vs_USF said, since JungleSkip is in here and certainly would have a much better understanding of Mike's previous posts and conversations from his perspective than mine of just a listener of their podcast (and Ou Radio) and an avid reader of these forums for a while.

Last edited:
Thank you for a more correct clarification of the contract. I was just taking information from the past times I have read about the contract, which has not happened in a while. I think I got the part about Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man correct though and that it only applies in theme park related things. For instance, Disney can still sell Marvel merchandise, just not in their parks.

Disney does sell marvel products in the Florida parks. I saw them in Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. They even have Ironman and Spiderman mouse ear hats now.

With the talk of an expansion to MSHI popping up more recently I was doing some Blue Sky dreaming for a re-theme of Hulk. So here's my idea: a re-theme to Iron Man, but more specifically the rider takes on the role of a new Iron Man suit being tested and controlled by Tony Stark. The launch tube is replaced with Stark tower in NYC. The first half of the ride is testing the aerial acrobatic capabilities of the new suit. The second half of the coaster track is... completely removed and replaced a new track layout within a show building that features a slightly slower pace with physical sets and dark ride elements. Following the corkscrew (over the queue building) the train re-enters Stark tower and stops. The first show scene has a Tony Stark AA (in Iron Man suit) talking about the test so far and then suggests flight tests with closer proximity to obstacles. The ride track then goes down into the NYC subway tunnels. The train twists and turns through the subway tunnel and does a barrel-roll to avoid an approaching subway car. A launch feature brings the train out of the subway and above the streets of NYC where the train (Iron Man suit) weaves in and out of sky scrapers before returning to Stark tower for a final show scene with Tony Stark providing a post test mission briefing.

To make this feasible the 8 car coaster train would probably need to be divided into 2 - 4 car trains. With that in mind one of my ideas was to have the track split in two in the show building and have dueling trains. As a disclaimer I was partly inspired by Radiator Springs Racers when dreaming all this up.

EPIC RETRACTION: It appears that my previous statements regarding a theme change to Hulk were likely a misunderstanding of the word, "overhaul".

Per my recent posts in the "Future" thread, it appears the overhaul will be major, but of a transparent nature and Hulk will likely remain Hulk.

:wave:

EPIC RETRACTION: It appears that my previous statements regarding a theme change to Hulk were likely a misunderstanding of the word, "overhaul".

Per my recent posts in the "Future" thread, it appears the overhaul will be major, but of a transparent nature and Hulk will likely remain Hulk.

I'm less concerned with Hulk's part of the project and what will happen with the rest of the land. That's where the fun stuff could be

Good news. From that it appears an iconic attraction will become even more iconic... Hulk strong. Hulk wins. Hulk destroy puny Iron Man.

Last edited: