Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MSHI Expansion?

I wonder how much of the hesitation is that they can't use the MCU versions. Maybe their surveys are loaded with people complaining that it's not the MCU hulk or Spidey. If thats the case, throwing a few hundred million at a "fake avengers" ride may be harder to get greenlit.
IOA has also needed rides elsewhere more, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve surveyed and gotten that type of reaction. Not about Hulk and Spidey in particular, because ironically, both characters have been portrayed three different times on screen. I think it would be more of an MCU thing for sure.

Say they wanted to do an Iron Man ride (as was rumored). For over 11 years now, Robert Downey Jr. has been iconic in his portrayal of the character and he will forever be associated with the character. If an Iron Man ride is announced people EXPECT RDJ at this point. Disney didn’t even do that in their own (lame) Iron Man ride (although his image is used in the queue).

Of course, as long as the ride is great, people will look past it. It would be on their minds though.

I wonder how much of the hesitation is that they can't use the MCU versions. Maybe their surveys are loaded with people complaining that it's not the MCU hulk or Spidey. If thats the case, throwing a few hundred million at a "fake avengers" ride may be harder to get greenlit.

As for why JP got the coaster, maybe they were listening to the complaints about losing DD, and wanted to put a more thrilling coaster in knowing that Hagrid was going to be more family friendly. JP is really the only place they have the room for a coaster at this point without wholesale changes to a land.
That's a good point, JP had a ton of dead space

Also, the more advertising they do for 'Avengers', the more they remind people of Disney's hottest franchise

IOA has also needed rides elsewhere more, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve surveyed and gotten that type of reaction. Not about Hulk and Spidey in particular, because ironically, both characters have been portrayed three different times on screen. I think it would be more of an MCU thing for sure.

Say they wanted to do an Iron Man ride (as was rumored). For over 11 years now, Robert Downey Jr. has been iconic in his portrayal of the character and he will forever be associated with the character. If an Iron Man ride is announced people EXPECT RDJ at this point. Disney didn’t even do that in their own (lame) Iron Man ride (although his image is used in the queue).

Of course, as long as the ride is great, people will look past it. It would be on their minds though.

I think this is key--if you can't use the MCU actors, what do you do? Another coaster? A flat ride? Honestly Lost Continent and JP and Toon Lagoon could all use those more.

Then again, even if you could use the actors, you either do yet another screen-based simulator, or a dark-ride with animatronics really out of character for the IP. It seems a no-win situation to me.

I think this is key--if you can't use the MCU actors, what do you do? Another coaster? A flat ride? Honestly Lost Continent and JP and Toon Lagoon could all use those more.

Then again, even if you could use the actors, you either do yet another screen-based simulator, or a dark-ride with animatronics really out of character for the IP. It seems a no-win situation to me.
Do it as well as Spider-Man or even better and people won’t care.

A ride that mixes screens with physical (even more than Spider-man does... screens sort of used like NRJ) could be done and fit the franchise if executed right. Just the thought of a Thanos AA that was engineered to scale and has seamless motion gets me a little excited. Iron Man could be flying around in the ride on kukas with other avengers like say, Thor, having a badass scene in the ride when the screens and physical Thor AA combine to create an awesome effect as he uses his hammer. etc, etc.

You get the point. It could be done, but it would have to be done on a massive scale, probably about as large as Rise of the Resistance.

Weren’t people complaining about Pirates in the early 00’s because there was a lack of Jack Sparrow on the ride?
I know you meant WERE they and to answer that, I would say it may not have been a vocal outrage that he wasn't there, but i'd assume a lot of people were expecting him and didn't get him. They left disappointed. I hear people point out Jack Sparrow every time I ride because people love the character. Disney wouldn't have added him if there wasn't guest demand.

YES, a good ride is a good ride is a good ride. But the GP has expectations about what Marvel is today and most of them don't read comic books or watch animated shows. They watch the big blockbusters and they know that Chris Evans has America's ass. They expect the style of the MCU more than anything, not animation. Notice they used pretty much all VFX and live actors for the new Hulk queue videos, no animation. It was like they wanted to go for the MCU style, but knew they had to stop short.

Like I said, MSHI doesn't need help right now as is (comparatively), though. The 90's comic look of the area I think is the part that needs to be updated most. Keep it similar, but update it to what modern comics look like.

I know you meant WERE they and to answer that, I would say it may not have been a vocal outrage that he wasn't there, but i'd assume a lot of people were expecting him and didn't get him. They left disappointed. I hear people point out Jack Sparrow every time I ride because people love the character. Disney wouldn't have added him if there wasn't guest demand.

No, I meant it. :lol: I wasn’t sure if it was me misremembering.

If I’m right, the reason why Pirates got the “IP” Overlay was because countless people were complaining it lacked Jack and Disney adjusted accordingly.

Point is, you’re right. Haha

There’s evidence that people DO care, so the good ride argument isn’t so black and white.

A ride that mixes screens with physical (even more than Spider-man does... screens sort of used like NRJ) could be done and fit the franchise if executed right. Just the thought of a Thanos AA that was engineered to scale and has seamless motion gets me a little excited. Iron Man could be flying around in the ride on kukas with other avengers like say, Thor, having a badass scene in the ride when the screens and physical Thor AA combine to create an awesome effect as he uses his hammer. etc, etc.

You get the point. It could be done, but it would have to be done on a massive scale, probably about as large as Rise of the Resistance.

Love the sound of that!
Hope that's the kind of thing Disney has planned for the eventual DCA Avengers ride.

I think it's Disney that have majorly missed the boat on Marvel, they can absolutely catchup but it feels like they should already have a Marvel land in a number of parks. The TOT retheme was basically a reaction to the lack of Marvel IP's being used in the parks.

I think MSHI is fine as it is, they don't need to add anything after the Hulk rebuild and Spider Man upgrades.

Creative will do what they want if they know the time right and the outcome will turn out good. Maybe DC needed to go, but the land never lost anything bc it was there. The JP expansion thread was dormant for years and out of nowhere a “speculated” project broke ground. The land didn’t and still doesn’t need the attraction as badly as other lands but it’s coming. Obviously we can’t predict what’s going to go where or when it coming but we should all understand that many things are possible. I’ve been fortunate enough to work and talk with seniors at my university who have been apart of current and upcoming projects for Universal (including the new park). Neither I nor they can disclose known information, but some people on this thread are theorizing outcomes or reasons that maybe aren’t true. This land has a future as we know because this thread is till active. All I’m saying is never say never and we shouldn’t be stating Universal’s decisions for the lands future when we don’t know.

I'm curious if there is some sort of "decade clause" in the Marvel contract, potentially a product of post-Disney negotiations but not hard written into the contract, where Universal can only use visual representations available at the time of the original contract's signing.

The current comics have, with few exceptions, have made the heroes look near identical to the MCU. It's something I think Universal would have already taken advantage of. If they could.

Do it as well as Spider-Man or even better and people won’t care.

It's like saying "HHN needs a new Bill & Ted." UOR caught lightning in a bottle with Spidey, why tempt fate trying to replicate perfection right next door? Especially when Thor and Hawkeye and possibly others going to look weird to guests anyway.

It's like saying "HHN needs a new Bill & Ted." UOR caught lightning in a bottle with Spidey, why tempt fate trying to replicate perfection right next door? Especially when Thor and Hawkeye and possibly others going to look weird to guests anyway.
And if they took the risk and it’s successful that’s a big potential payoff.

You can't build the next generation Spiderman, right next to Spiderman. People had enough problem with Transformers and it was in another park. To do an Avengers ride right, you just about have to replace Spiderman to do it.

I’m sure Universal doesn’t mind having the rights to Disney’s hottest franchise.
They don't mind having Marvel rights, as reflected in their gift shops. The land is successful and more fleshed out than Jurrassic Park, therefore they may see it as not in dire need of a ride right now.

Personally, I think it would be a great alternative to SWL....But we also have to keep in mind that a lot of resources are going to be diverted to the new park

MSHI is the animated/comic universe, no place for over payed actors, no muddle it up theme. It's perfect as it is and has 4 rides for different demographics.
Meanwhile JP has one ride that gets you wet, and one ride that you have to steal a child for

And takes up a large chunk of IOA

I guess if you want to get crazy you could lump Kong in there