Music... yet again... | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Music... yet again...

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The wall is there to keep the noise down at Dr. Phillips high school during the day. It was an afterthought, but did go up soon after opening.
The actually WAS a nighttime show on the lagoon back in the day. I saw it a few times. It was pretty cool. Similar concept to the show at Universal. Lots of lasers, a few explosions, etc. It basically showcased each "island". Similar to the show at epcot. They would turn the lights down everywhere else then light up an island, shoot lasers at it, play some music. It wasn't the best show ever, but it kept everyone in the parks until close. I remember it being hard to get a good spot on the rail at the lagoon's edge.

I remember it being hard to get a good spot on the rail at the lagoon's edge.

^This. For the majority of park patrons they would have to know where to go. I suppose there IS space at the edge of each island: the patio in front of the JPDC, Me Ship the Olive for Toon Lagoon, that random area that jets out between Spiderman and Matt Hoffman for MSHI, there's some open area at Port of Entry I believe, there's a walkway that goes Seuss's shore, and there's that slightly hidden lagoon viewing area behind Mythos. Whereas DCA built a complete viewing area for world of color making it almost more accessible to people only there on vacation, IOA I suppose would have to make a completely 360 show if people just scattered to those lagoon bordering places.

Wow. I had no idea there ever was a show. There has got to be more info about it somewhere in the depths of the interwebs :lol:

O M G !!!!!!!!!!
I just hit the MOTHALOAD :happy: I Yahoo! searched "islands of adventure Nighttime Spectacular" and....... guess what I found. Just guess. Alright, on one of my favorite Orlando photo update sites, OrlandoRocks, they have this entry from WAY BACK when the show was running!!!!! Here's their write up:

This show is performed during the summer and for special occasions such as New Years Eve. Check your guide map to find out if it's being done during your visit and for times.

Old Description:
If you have never seen the Nighttime Spectacular at Islands of Adventure, make a point of getting out there to see it. The show only during busy times, and will stop again Saturday April 26th. Last year I was fortunate enough to catch its opening night, the fourth of July, and was treated to the spectacular sight of 3 simultaneous firework shows put to music. Within the approximate 300 acres that contains Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Universal Citywalk, guests of each location stood in wonder of the awesome sight as the fireworks from each location came together in one show to light up the sky. Guests had a hard time deciding where to look as the show completely surrounded us. Whether you are just visiting the Orlando area during the summer or live here, the Nighttime Spectacular will make your visit to Universal one to remember.

And the most important part........PICTURES OF IOA'S NIGHTTIME SPECTACULAR!!!!

ioa_fireworks_4_19_2003%20(11).jpg

ioa_fireworks_4_19_2003%20(19).jpg

ioa_fireworks_4_19_2003%20(13).jpg

ioa_fireworks_4_19_2003%20(24).jpg

ioa_fireworks_4_19_2003%20(22).jpg

ioa_fireworks_4_19_2003%20(7).jpg

ioa_fireworks_4_19_2003%20(6).jpg

IOA_4th_crowd.jpg

IOA_4th_crowd%20(1).jpg

ioa_fireworks_prep_7-8-01.jpg

ioa_fireworks_setup_7_13_2002.jpg

See even more amazing photos here! http://orlandorocks.com/Info.aspx?location=ioa&type=Shows&Attraction=spectacular

Update: Here's a brief YouTube video showcasing the fireworks from the edge of the lagoon!

[video=youtube;9JTn9O_lXpY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JTn9O_lXpY[/video]

Last edited:
:faint:

I actually remember that! I always watched it in Citywalk. I can't believe I forgot about it :doh:. It was so cool to see the fireworks going on all around. I even remember stopping on the side of the road outside the park to see the show.

C'mon people.... it wasn't impressive at all. It was a 100' phitz here and there. If you cannot outdo or come close to the competition, then don't even try. Sadly, UOR will never launch 1000', 2000' or even 3000' fireworks on a nightly basis. They have to come up with another gig... get more creative... maybe a mini version of DisneySea's big promenade sea parade... something like that. And yes, I know that would cost hundreds of millions and require ripping up parts of the studios with a dock area. Otherwise, I cannot imagine that any idea for a great evening show is on the books right now.

I'm shocked Universal won't release a new version of the CD. People will obviously buy it. They get nothing when someone gets $150 for their own copy on Ebay.

This evening's entertainment in Chéz Adam & Family was Mr Spielberg's adventure classic Hook... Now I forget who said this, but I once read someone asking around a place such as this one how much Universal paid John Williams to all but steal his score from this film for IOA's soundtrack, and after having watched I must say the scores are remarkably similar! For anyone who hasn't seen the film I'd recommend having a look for the music on Youtube - you'd be surprised just how similar some of the tracks are! Can anyone remember, what was the name of the guy who composed IOA's?

William Kidd. They are similar in feeling and certain aspects but that is not stealing in that form of art. If it is than Spielberg ripped off of a ton of Hitchcock and other film makers. It is all in art style and direction.

Yeah I didn't mean it like that, that was just what I remember reading someone say once! I really like it, I'm a massive fan of his work and the IOA soundtrack. And I'm a drama student, I would never lecture anyone about 'stealing' where the arts are concerned :p