My Stay at Polynesian | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

My Stay at Polynesian

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It was, thanks!

I get it. Things happen. I worked for Carnival when the Triumph got stuck in the Gulf. What happened was out of Carnival's control, but they tried everything to make the passengers happy. A majority of guests were quite happy with their treatment and compensation after it was all said and done. (I'm not looking for comp, FWIW.)

What's funny is during our leg in Savannah, we arrived at our hotel 30 min before check-in. It was our "fault" but because we had to wait, the hotel gave us a couple of free drink coupons to enjoy at the rooftop bar. Those are the little things you don't expect, but remember forever.

That's pretty much the Marriott and Hyatt difference.

@Briman

Quite within your rights to take photos and issue complaints about your stay at the Poly, real shame that you paid out all the money to experience what was an underwhelming and frustrating stay.

What is also frustrating is that some in the community have chosen to turn said photos and and complaints into site V site and resort V resort arguments :catfight: such a pity really but unfortunately, all to common. Kinda clouds the bigger picture but hey, haters are gonna hate :bonk::bang:

Congratulations on your wedding and all the best for the future to both you and Mrs Briman :happy::thumbs:

I thought it was very unprofessional the way the WDW Magic administrator immediately attacked Brian. The main reason I don't post over there is that so many regular posters are hostile to any new posters or anyone that may taint their view of the theme park world. About the only posters on Magic that are fair & open minded are the people from OU that post over there. The strange thing is that it's OK for the regulars over there to knock Disney, but beware an outsider doing it, the wrath of god is unleashed. They scream troll whenever a new person brings up a controversial issue, even though the regulars do it often. I go on the site to get info, but I don't care much for the tenor of their discussions. Lots of ignorant posters.

Guys, keep this a discussion of Brians issues. Involving WDWM or resort vs resort undermines the issues.

But it is about a Disney resort hotel failing miserably... It really isn't about Brian at all, but all of us. It is also about fans who will look the other way and in so doing allowing such Disney to get away with it.

Troublemaker :lol:

I didn't post it!

So Disney has reached back out to me today. I was out at lunch with my momma so I missed the call, but she left a VM, which was immediately followed up by an e-mail. Thumbs up at making a conscience effort to make sure I was contacted.

So I spoke with Emily and she was very apologetic. Not so much at the status of the towels or bed sheets, but how poorly the front desk didn't react to the issue. I told her I understood that mistakes happen, but the lack of empathy is what bothered me the most. She agreed and made sure to let me know that not only will they let the front desk aware of this issue, but the Head of Housekeeping as well.

Emily understood that it was my honeymoon and as a way to have a "do-over", she offered me a free night stay at the Polynesian or any Deluxe on property. I definitely wasn't expecting that, or seeking that, but I'm not opposed to giving them a 2nd chance.

So Kudos to Emily who take care of this issue with great care. She was very understanding and made sure she drove the point that this isn't the "Disney Experience" they want represented.

So as a means of redress, they get you back on property where you WILL give them more money for park tickets, food and beverages, and souviners. Hmmm, seems to work out better for Disney than you. But, whatever.

And I have an idea, if this isn't the Disney Experience they want represented, then that is not the product they should be serving up to guests. This wasn't a "mistake", this is how they operate. It is cheaper the grease the squeaky wheel that provide actual quality.

I find it hard to complement Disney for using a bad experience at their resort as an oppertunity to suck even more money from your wallet.

But I am an odd bird, and I see things differently than normal folks.

Last edited:
Ok, what I am going to say will not be popular. Fortunately, I've never been popular and it is not really an issue for me. Most people think I'm just an ***hole, but I prefer "old curmudgeon".

And I preface this with saying that I have the utmost respect for Brian and the way he runs this site. He and I have dished over shrimp and a cocktail and it was the most pleasant of afternoons.

But, here...we....go.

What he got today wasn't redress for the issues he encountered. As per Disney protocol, first, offer a free room for a second WDW vacation. This way, Disney loses nothing, and gains what he will spend on the next vacation. Almost no one goes to WDW for a day, and moving resorts is a pain in the ***. So there is a high probability that he will buy more nights at the deluxe he chooses for his "free" night. He will also buy park tickets, food/beverages, and souvenirs. Disney won big time!

Actual, redress would have been to refund one night of his stay, and since he is already home, a free room upgrade on his next trip. That would have addressed the issues of this stay and pretty much assured that he would be back.

But that's not how Disney works these days. They know most fans will be thrilled with a free night at a Disney Deluxe. So they low ball first.

Disney knows that they have the same mattresses, towels and linens at their $149/night ASM that they do at the $700+/night Grand Flo. They also know some of their more discerning guests will notice. They have a protocol, and we saw it in action today.

Rant off

(ok, probably not. I just hate the way Disney does business these days)

Last edited:
What he got today wasn't redress for the issues he encountered.

Interesting, I had a similar response as you.

Whoever folds those towels and sheets should also act as quality control and thrown out the bad. Whoever Brian spoke to at the desk that night should have gushed with apologies and offered him a new room or even a suite and passes for two free drinks somewhere, and a free breakfast in the morning. That is what fine hotel customer service is.

Disney does not seem the least bit interested, at least not in one night stays...

Disneyhead, not popular? Not from where I stand :thumbs:

I think it's commendable that Disney took action, especially if they will follow through with the front desk and housekeeping to make an actual improvement. Could they have done more? Definitely. But just like it's worth pointing out the faults, it's also fair to acknowledge they took some action to make it right. Of course the bigger issue is that this type of thing shouldn't happen in the first place, and Mr. & Mrs. BriMan shouldn't have gone through that on as special an occasion as their honeymoon... or any occasion, really... but the most important thing now is that this type of experience isn't had again. Hope that's the case, or that they're making their best effort towards that. Especially in a "deluxe" resort...

Hope the next, comp, stay is much better, BriMan!

I disagree with Disneyhead entirely. I think a comp is respectable, even though the issue should have definitely been addressed at the time and the hotel's front desk really dropped the ball there.

I had an issue at HHN with a rude TM and Uni was really proactive and in reaching out and comping me HHN tickets, even though I didn't take them. I wasn't expecting that but felt they really were trying to make good. If you really wanted to look at negatively, you'd say Uni just wants my food and alcohol money too (which is probably true but that's true of everywhere).

I mean, Yeah, I guess I felt a little "ignored" at first because it was 1 night. I almost wondered if Disney Guest Relations would get back to me because it was 1 night, but it's whatever.

As far as the comp. I'm gonna disagree. I wasn't looking for anything to begin with so what else could they have done? I stayed 1 night, they're giving me a do-over for 1 night. It's not like I was never going back to a Disney Park, and I still do go to Orlando every month or 2.

Anything more would have been overkill, anything less would have been criticized regardless sooo...

They responded, I was happy. All that matters.

I think Disneyhead brings up some good points regarding Disney currently. There is a large gap between old service and new, front of the line staff and executives, and more. Frankly, we're just seeing the natural evolution of the rot set in place during the Pressler era.

I think a comped one night stay is fine, and we all know Brian will milk that deal for all it's worth! :thumbs:

Dunno about the rest of ya, but I'm staying heah...

from @touringplans

[video=youtube;PlxjEU5Vdyc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlxjEU5Vdyc[/video]

Have you ever stayed at Portofino, Universal? The rooms are 450' to 490 sg. ft. The bathrooms are nearly the size of a Motel 6 room. We usually get a balcony, and once had a double wide balcony overlooking the Italian singers as they sang from the lobby balcony. A most beautiful ambiance. A deluxe resort that , after long stay or AP discounts, is about half the price of the Disney deluxe resorts (plus Universal Express Passes). ........Sounds like a commercial, but I just love that resort.