Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

NBCUniversal Evolution Plan

I have to wonder with so much changing about the way things are filmed now (even less reliance on soundstages) if they'll be revising the Evolution Plan and further expanding the theme park? So much of the entertainment industry has been disrupted between smaller cameras, less need for stage lighting, and other changes in the technology of movies and television, they could probably condense most of the actual production facilities and just keep the backlots for outdoor shoots.

The technology is changing but there still seems to be a need for a substantial amount of soundstages.

They have already built 4 new soundstages & have another 22 either planned or currently under construction. So far they have demolished somewhere in the region of 5/6? for Theme Park expansion and they have another 8 next to Transformers marked for demolition in the previous evolution plan.

I think I also read somewhere that soundstages are in more demand than ever. Add to that the investment in the Universal Campus and it doesn't feel like they see a change in the capacity they need that would allow for less overall soundstages.

That said, there are still plenty of old soundstages that could be removed around the LL area to allow for large Theme Park expansion.

Last edited:
Hoping that those soundstages that were originally slated for demo 2020-2022 are gonna go down any day now. Maybe after SNW opens?

With the Barham and Red Sea stages, it should hopefully pay the way on allowing them to take space that won't be needed by the studio.

But man do I hope the Bud Westmore building gets moved. I know it'd be a headache, but it'd give them a lot more space.

But man do I hope the Bud Westmore building gets moved. I know it'd be a headache, but it'd give them a lot more space.

Never been hinted at in any of the previous plans but hell I'd be all for it!
That would open up a whole bunch of space on the LL, we could fit a heap down there. Still wishing for a LOTR land - something unique to Hollywood for at least a few years.

One thing I wonder about and I believe this has been touched on before, but how likely is it that USH relocates the tram loading station to the lower lot and uses the current area on the upper lot for theme park expansion like they did when they expanded for the Wizarding World?

I wonder what type of land they would put there. I know with a possible WBD NBCUniversal merger coming in 2024 maybe they could pull from WB properties. Maybe it could be a Hannah Barbara or WB animation land, A DC land that would be Universal's take on Avengers Campus, or if they want to do a Universal property I think the classic monsters could fit well in that spot. What I am saying, is it is fun to imagine the possibilities,

I wonder what type of land they would put there. I know with a possible WBD NBCUniversal merger coming in 2024 maybe they could pull from WB properties. Maybe it could be a Hannah Barbara or WB animation land, A DC land that would be Universal's take on Avengers Campus, or if they want to do a Universal property I think the classic monsters could fit well in that spot. What I am saying, is it is fun to imagine the possibilities,
Do not put any weight into WBD getting acquired by Comcast, especially anytime soon.

With Hollywood Drift going where I have believed it to be going after all, down to the base of Fire Station 51; there's quite a bit of space that they can easily use for the Tram Plaza, the Maintanence Barn, the hillside and the area surrounding that of Tony Curtis Dr.

Would require restructuring for Kirk Douglas; but it would make sense.

1669612340112.png

Hoping for Pokemon. Feels like a no brainer that'd allow it to differentiate itself from both Hogsmeade's 90's High-Fantasy, and SNW's Cartoon Fantasy with something much more creature based.

Do not put any weight into WBD getting acquired by Comcast, especially anytime soon.
The deal can't happen until 2024 anyways if they were to do it. Disney acquired Fox so it is somewhat possible NBCUniversal could do the same for WBD. But if this deal never comes to pass, I would think the location of the area would be best for some version of the classic monsters land from EU depending on how well the reception for it is. They could even make the attractions unique to USH. Another area for monsters could be the water world arena. It is a sizable space for a land.

With Hollywood Drift going where I have believed it to be going after all, down to the base of Fire Station 51; there's quite a bit of space that they can easily use for the Tram Plaza, the Maintanence Barn, the hillside and the area surrounding that of Tony Curtis Dr.

View attachment 17924

Hoping for Pokemon. Feels like a no brainer that'd allow it to differentiate itself from both Hogsmeade's 90's High-Fantasy, and SNW's Cartoon Fantasy with something much more creature based.
This appears to be enough space for two attractions which would be a C-D ticket and then the E ticket. If they get creative with how they design the land maybe they could include the plot with the Simpsons show building in the land since that show building in all likely hood is going to get torn down when the contract expires. Another area for Pokemon could be the WaterWorld venue. Considering the chunk of land I am personally hoping for the Classic Monsters land. But if they don't go that route maybe they could stick monsters in the lower lot in the Mummy plot or in space where the soundstages next to Transformers currently are. Or maybe the classic monsters don't get a land but a single E ticket that could take over the Simpsons show building.

View attachment 17924

Those solar panels wont be going anywhere.

Those solar panels wont be going anywhere.
Let me guess, those must power crucial aspects of the theme park. If not why can't they remove them and build new solar panels elsewhere? But even if you can't remove the solar panels that is still a decently sized chunk of land. My guess is the C-D ticket would go on the part that overlooks the solar panels and the E ticket will go where the current tram garage is. But that begs the question. Where would a relocated tram garage and load area go?

lol

If Universal refuses to use that land because its has solar panels, please hire me I'll show you roofs....another place you have have Solar if you really need them

lol

If Universal refuses to use that land because its has solar panels, please hire me I'll show you roofs....another place you have have Solar if you really need them

Gut makes me wonder if it could be due to the geometric need of the grading, alongside how expensive it could be to relocate and reinstall all of those large panels.

Gut makes me wonder if it could be due to the geometric need of the grading, alongside how expensive it could be to relocate and reinstall all of those large panels.
I was going to post this in the Nintendo thread but I think my main issue with USH right now is them not choosing what they want to be.

Be a theme park that needs a second park and hotels....or just be a studios that happens to have a theme park with it. But choose instead of pushing towards the one goal only to stop short because you can't make up your mind in what you are going to be but to waste this land because of some money when a Potterland or another Nintendoland in this area within 2 years will pay for everything is such a small issue it shouldn't even be an issue if your looking forward.

Edit and while we are looking towards the future while they need space for meeting and needed staff, they have offices filled with people that can work from home...and instead of using that space better they are choosing to make more offices when they could send half the staff home now and just expand the theme park. But old people still run the company...so yeah