New Project for Dinoland? | Page 47 | Inside Universal Forums

New Project for Dinoland?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact Disney cant figure out a way to make dinosaurs, something kids consistently flip out about for decades, is deeply embarrassing. Like “can’t sell water to the parched” level of farce.
They did figure it out…Dinosaur is a legitimately good ride. That’s why I don’t think any hope that this rumor is false is complete and total copium.

This park is in for a rude awakening in 2 years. I'm very fortunate to live in Celebration and visit DAK on a weekly basis for a semi-weekly trip to Satu'li, and after 5 PM... the park is a ghost town. Walk-ons for everything except for Flight of Passage, including Na'vi River (ignore the posted wait - Disney is being mischievous).

This is my favorite park in all of Orlando... but it needs more offerings. I'm at the point where I don't even care how it connects to the original DAK-concept or animals,.. it just desperately needs more to do.

As bad as this retheme would be, the internet has been saying Universal will hurt Disney for the last decade (with a different spin every year) and it’s never happened. That talking point has just become kind of funny by now. This isn’t really about Epic at all, it’s about a crappy idea that‘s hopefully a red herring or pulled out of nowhere (which seems to happen…a lot?)
The internet/fans tend to take things way too seriously and exaggerate their claims. Nothing will ever dethrone the Magic Kingdom, Universal can build 8 versions of Velocicoaster and MK will still remain at #1. However, as we have seen from the previous TEA report, all the other parks are in a fierce battle for those remaining vacation days. The fact that Universal was able to fully recover attendance from 2019 is astounding while WDW struggles at recovering just 80%.

However, as we have seen from the previous TEA report, all the other parks are in a fierce battle for those remaining vacation days. The fact that Universal was able to fully recover attendance from 2019 is astounding while WDW struggles at recovering just 80%.
I don’t understand how people can call it a struggle when Disney has purposefully put a reservation system in place the last three years. Even if someone with the data could tell me they’re not hitting capacity with that system in place, the fact they’ve left that barrier in place tells me any decreases in attendance are a feature, not a bug.

This is my favorite park in all of Orlando... but it needs more offerings. I'm at the point where I don't even care how it connects to the original DAK-concept or animals,.. it just desperately needs more to do.
This is the thing—even if Dinosaur draws less waits than a hypothetical Zootopia ride, it’s still a great supplemental attraction to add on to an Animal Kingdom day and distribute the influx of crowds that would come if a NEW ride was added.

I’m probably in the minority, but I think a couple of the shelf carnival rides in place of Primeval Whirl themed to Dinoland would be better than Zootopia.

Fair, but I don’t think it’s any scarier than River Adventure. What makes dinosaurs fun is that they’re a little meaner and scarier than other animals ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think river adventure is generally a little more palatable because a lot of it is outside, and the scarier parts aren’t as in your face and loud as Dinosaur. Dark+close quarters+very loud= scary for kids.

But I agree it’s bonkers that neither of these resorts have made a dinosaur ride for kids.

Allegedly the land will be partioned into Zootopia and Moana, with the Moana stuff adding rides.
There still won’t be a net gain of any rides. If the concept art is accurate (even though it will most likely be scaled back), Moana will be a log flume in the Primeval Whirl plot and a rethemed Triceratops Spin. Yes one attraction is technically a ground up build, but it’s still on the site of a former attraction.
The problem is no one rides Dinosaur. In theory, Zootopia will draw 1+ hour wait consistently.
It would as a new attraction, but years down the line? Probably not. Especially if a retheme uses the Dinosaur ride system, which would be a complete mismatch of targeted demographics.

There still won’t be a net gain of any rides. If the concept art is accurate (even though it will most likely be scaled back), Moana will be a log flume in the Primeval Whirl plot and a rethemed Triceratops Spin. Yes one attraction is technically a ground up build, but it’s still on the site of a former attraction.

It would as a new attraction, but years down the line? Probably not. Especially if a retheme uses the Dinosaur ride system, which would be a complete mismatch of targeted demographics.
My guess is the Moana ride would be a heavier capacity load than Primeval Whirl was, but yea, overall not a net gain of attractions.

Dino's regularly been kicked around since it opened (mainly because it's not Indy) so I'm glad to see people finally appreciating it.

While I would want it being in addition to and not in place of, I'm surprised at the hate for Zootopia? Thought it was an excellent movie--very creative environments, several very funny scenes, extremely likable main character duo, and very mature/nuanced look at societal issues. Yeah the villain should've been better handled but I did want to see more of
her because I thought her motivations were so interesting.

Last edited:
I was scared beyond belief when I rode this ride for the first time in my teens, having been to UOR many times prior. Some kids can do this ride, but most will be a little scared if I had to guess.

Zootopia is almost guaranteed to be family friendly.

I've yet to hear a convincing argument why Moana -- which features a pig and a chicken both domesticated for food -- somehow fits better than a movie that highlights various animals' natural traits (admittedly on a child-friendly superficial level) and goes out of its way to reflect their natural environments.
1. I don't think Moana belongs in AK, either. But at least it's going to look like an area dedicated to the natural world, rather than an urban cityscape.
2. I think that's a very generous reading of what Zootopia's about. It has nothing to say about the guiding principles of the park.

Dino's regularly been kicked around since it opened (mainly because it's not Indy) so I'm glad to see people finally appreciating it.

While I would want it being in addition to and not in place of, I'm surprised at the hate for Zootopia? Thought it was an excellent movie--very creative environments, several very funny scenes, extremely likable main character duo, and very mature/nuanced look at societal issues. Yeah the villain should've been better handled but I did want to see more of
her because I thought her motivations were so interesting.
Zootopia is a fine movie, it just doesn’t fit in AK at all. The “but they’re animals!” argument that Disney seems to be banking on shows how creatively bankrupt they are coming up with original ideas that actually fit their parks.

The park needs more capacity, not new stuff to replace existing stuff, so this is disappointing for that reason especially.
Agreed, it's hard to ignore the sheer fact that AK only has 8 rides. That is the lowest number of rides out of any non-Magic Kingdom Disney park. And if you're one that doesn't really count a short transportation ride, then you take out the train to Rafiki's Planet watch and that's 7.

Every single second gate from Disney that's opened after AK has more rides.
Walt Disney Studios Park has 11, with a 12th on the way.
DCA has 18.

And then you have Tokyo DisneySea which has at least 18 (20 if you count the Transit Steamer Line, and the Electric Railway.), and it's getting Four....FOUR! more rides next year.

AK really needs more, overlays/replacements are not gonna' cut it. It's vasty behind everything else, especially when a brand-new park like EU is opening and it'll have 12 rides from day 1.

It's obvious that post-Harry, the masses want IPs in the Florida parks--heck, even Seaworld has leaned on Sesame Street to recover from BF. So meeting that market demand--which all of them are doing--means that parks that didn't attempt cohesion are being rewarded for it in terms of fan sentiment. IDK, it's just such an interesting dilemma/discussion, perfect for forums like this. :)

Last edited:
It's obvious that post-Harry, the masses want IPs in the Florida parks--heck, even Seaworld has leaned on Sesame Street to recover from BF. So meeting that market demand means that parks that didn't attempt cohesion are being rewarded for it in terms of fan sentiment. IDK, it's just such an interesting dilemma/discussion, perfect for forums like this. :)
They just don’t have will or want. DAK attractions should be a lay up. Beastly Kingdom should’ve been built. A Lion King ride. Repurpose the Rainforest coaster from Epcot. This isn’t hard

They just don’t have will or want. DAK attractions should be a lay up. Beastly Kingdom should’ve been built. A Lion King ride. Repurpose the Rainforest coaster from Epcot. This isn’t hard

I blame it squarely on Disney optimizing the parks for profit to an inch of their lives. That's how we get a broken Yeti that can't be fixed because the park literally cannot afford to have EE closed that long.

It's obvious that post-Harry, the masses want IPs in the Florida parks--heck, even Seaworld has leaned on Sesame Street to recover from BF. So meeting that market demand--which all of them are doing--means that parks that didn't attempt cohesion are being rewarded for it in terms of fan sentiment. IDK, it's just such an interesting dilemma/discussion, perfect for forums like this. :)
I’m fascinated to see what happens when one of the IP that these single-theme, multi-attraction lands falls out of favor. Interestingly enough, WWoHP might be the closest because of all the fall-out surrounding JK Rowling. But, yeah, it’s one thing to swap out Splash Mountain or Jimmy Neutron…whole other to do that to a Pandora or How to Train Your Dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.