New Transport Hub? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

New Transport Hub?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
After looking at the convention center and south plot, I think there has to be a huge parking garage down there somewhere. The south Citiwalk, and to an extent the parks, will want to capitalize on the Convention center business. It's a virtual lock that they will have shuttles from the convention center to the Citiwalk. It's over a mile walk, so they aren't going to be able to depend on foot traffic. I think it's more logical to have excess parking there and sell conventioneers that drive to the convention center on parking at CitiWalk. As long as the price is comparable to parking at the CC itself($15 so they can probably make it work), people would probably jump on that as it would be covered parking and have direct access to food and drinks. Granted, I'm guessing that the majority of people there for conventions are flying in and won't have cars. That doesn't affect the need for parking, but does further reinforce the need for shuttles. I'm just looking at this as I just can't see the whole "all park guests park at WNW" thing ever happening.

I feel like i'm the only person who has seen the bottom floor of the garages in the past few years... They're umm.. uggo.

I cant imagine that is what they want to be the first impression of guests at their brand new park. And it's not just that it's a garage uggo, or even super gross like Stickey and Friends in California (DLR's garage) but rather than it's just overgrown with plants around the edges, the striping is pretty much gone, and there's tons of tire rubber and dust bunnies the size of medium size mammals.

I would think there would be a whole makeover to get it up to snuff.

Long story short, if they started pressure washing it and painting today I might believe it'd be what we'd come to expect as the entry point of a new theme park by the time it is scheduled to open.

As much as we say we can't judge before it opens - if i have to step over old parking space barriers or step around construction walls or there's A-frame temporary signage to direct guests (instead of, not in addition to real signage) on Day 1 I'm allowed to give UC serious side-eye, right?

Just imagine - you step out of your Benz in your best board shorts with your body oiled up for a day of fun at Volcano Bay.. amid the flickering fluorescent lights, the dripping ceiling fluid that could be rain - could be transmission fluid, lest we forget the caustic fumes from the gas powered tram... only to have a dust bunny the size of a tumbleweed saunter up and stick to your rippled sun ready physique.

It aint pretty, and it's not your sexy-self's fault.

I belive that once they move all of the contractors to another temp area, maybe the wetnwild parking lot, they will begin to work on the bottom floor of the garage.

I didn't see TestTracks post.
But that's the general idea from everyone it seems.

Maybe we're trying to fix something that isn't broken?
Somehow Universal has managed to get 5 resorts all on property with no issues for busing and transit. (except parking to an extent)
Universal could potentially have 7 resorts on it's main land and would more than likely still do well with transit.

Wet N Wild plot may become an actual destination and include both themed entertainment and a multi-modal transit area. Definitely interesting times @scott_walker

It's not broken now, but with a fourth park, more resorts, and more entertainment across I-4 something needs to be done.

I'm sure that wide grassy area in the middle of Universal Blvd. will ultimately be used to connect the new park, in one form or another. It's placement is too perfect not to be utilized.

My guess is that they do what they've done here in Pittsburgh. A light rail system down the medium strip utilizing trolley cars. It's not as overly expensive as a monorail system and they move a huge amount of people from the South Hills into downtown Pittsburgh at a much longer distance than the mile or two they'll need for Orlando. It's a very dependable clean system, and avoids the auto traffic issues.

I still have issues believing this third park will exist in my lifetime. I'm only a tiny bit more optimistic Epcot will be overhauled before I die.

Comcast is in their aggressive business mode. They see blood & they're going for the juggler. No doubt in my mind that they'll continue to develop this resort to it's fullest potential. A third park will just be a part of that game plan. No inside info, just my take from watching this company since they were a small player just a short time ago. They've always had a Napoleon complex, big time.

My guess is that they do what they've done here in Pittsburgh. A light rail system down the medium strip utilizing trolley cars. It's not as overly expensive as a monorail system and they move a huge amount of people from the South Hills into downtown Pittsburgh at a much longer distance than the mile or two they'll need for Orlando. It's a very dependable clean system, and avoids the auto traffic issues.
Some reason, light rail is frowned upon in Orlando. Not sure why. But they definitely can not build your typical overhead powered light rain system. Something like the Sprinter would work potentially but don't see that heavy method of tracks coming.

Comcast is in their aggressive business mode. They see blood & they're going for the juggler. No doubt in my mind that they'll continue to develop this resort to it's fullest potential. A third park will just be a part of that game plan. No inside info, just my take from watching this company since they were a small player just a short time ago. They've always had a Napoleon complex, big time.

Gotta love capitalism. We want it, they make it.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Comcast is in their aggressive business mode. They see blood & they're going for the juggler.
Oh no, not the Juggler!

depositphotos_84760664-stock-photo-juggler.jpg

My ideas/opinions on this...

Short term (aka. pre-Universal South but post-Universal Central), I think everything will continue to be connected by buses, but preparations will be made for the monorail, light rail, or Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system that will eventually be built (UOR Resort Line). VB will have its own minor transport hub that directly connects to Uni North hotels, the Uni Central minor transport hub, and CityWalk/Parks through the Uni North major transport hub. Uni Central (W&W property) will have a similar minor transport hub that connects in the same style, but it will have accommodations for the future UOR Resort Line.

Also, the major transport hub will have its bus area rebuilt and/or relocated. I think it will probably just be rebuilt. If you force the buses to park in the garages or backstage then tons of space opens up. It's more than enough space to make a proper bus terminal. There's even enough space to create two separate bus loops, one for UOR buses and one for everyone else. In addition, new escalators, elevators, and stairs will be built specifically for the VB tram loop. These would be built going down the north side of the garage. Signage would be added that directed all guests in the Uni North major transport hub going to VB to go through the South Garage bridge and take a left at the end of it to the special escalators, elevators, and stairs.

Long term (aka. post-Universal South), Now I have two ideas for this.

Option 1: The Hub and Spokes Model
I think we see the Uni North transport hub either rebuilt to have an above ground station above the bus terminal for monorail or light rail or slightly retrofitted to include space for a BRT line. All UOR properties will be connected by one main line that travels between them with a single stop at the main hub of each of the three properties (North, Central, South). That main line would be on of the options described above, but more than likely would be a monorail or light rail for this option because of the large amount of people being transported. The main hubs will facilitate transportation to all attractions and hotels within each's respective property. The Uni Central hotels would be the sole exception to this rule as they would have bus lines to VB.

Option 2: The Modified Disney Model
In this option, every hotel on every property would have a bus line to every VB's hub, Uni North's main hub, and Uni South's main hub. If Uni Central ends up being more than just hotels, then it would also receive a stop from every hotel. If it only has hotels though, then a hotel guest would have to get on the main line between all three properties to reach Uni Central. This main line is the same as described in Option 1 but is most likely just a bus due to the small amount of people expected to ride.

Any critiques? Did I forget something important or a different possible model?

Btw, I didn't include using the Uni Central hub as a new bus area for Uni North because it seems inefficient to me. It forces more buses to travel down a notoriously highly trafficked then would otherwise. Also, the single main hub idea also seems very inefficient. It will create an always crowded mess even worse than what we currently have. That is no matter how it is built.

Reactions: Mad Dog