New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando? | Page 82 | Inside Universal Forums

New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Im new here but having studied the tourism industry for some time now and with work experience in the theme parks, I have to say this whole debate over right or wrong info is pointless. Parks dont go broadcasting things about budgets and potential projects and so it is nearly impossible to get a 100% accurate account of whats what. Conflicting reports are bound to happen, theres almost a 0% chance that different people will hear the same thing about this kind of stuff.

I dont know where Universal stands with their budgets for future attractions, but I do know quite a bit about their current operations and their summer performance. So far, nothing I have read (from this site or otherwise) about certain things is in line with what is absolutely true. Furthermore, even when these projects are complete, there is no figure available that says whether or not it was on par with the initial budget or if things were indeed cut or added, making arguing over it even more pointless. Speculation is fun but it is just that--it's best to not get worked up over it and just enjoy the anticipation leading up to these upcoming projects.

I know Im new here but having studied the tourism industry for some time now and with work experience in the theme parks, I have to say this whole debate over right or wrong info is pointless. Parks dont go broadcasting things about budgets and potential projects and so it is nearly impossible to get a 100% accurate account of whats what. Conflicting reports are bound to happen, theres almost a 0% chance that different people will hear the same thing about this kind of stuff.

I dont know where Universal stands with their budgets for future attractions, but I do know quite a bit about their current operations and their summer performance. So far, nothing I have read (from this site or otherwise) about certain things is in line with what is absolutely true. Furthermore, even when these projects are complete, there is no figure available that says whether or not it was on par with the initial budget or if things were indeed cut or added, making arguing over it even more pointless. Speculation is fun but it is just that--it's best to not get worked up over it and just enjoy the anticipation leading up to these upcoming projects.

Hey, almost did not recognize you with your nice new Avatar. :thumbs:

I agree with some of your points, and I do not know much about this other person. No one is going to get things 100% all the time, but I tend to stay away from those who claim they do. Because more often than not they don't.

Let's leave it at, you're new here. :wave:

If something was cut, would it be something small or something major? I don't think Comcast would slash money to the point things that would bring lots of people onto the property out.

If something was cut, would it be something small or something major? I don't think Comcast would slash money to the point things that would bring lots of people onto the property out.

It's all foolishness. The egos of Comcast won't be outdone by Disney, whom they tried yet failed to buy. There is some vendetta in these new products.

It's all foolishness. The egos of Comcast won't be outdone by Disney, whom they tried yet failed to buy. There is some vendetta in these new products.
Yes, the human side of the equation often transcends the situation. And, I can read a financial report. The Universal Q-3 report says a lot. People can make up stories but , in this case, the numbers spell it out....I agree with you Teebin. Universal is on a roll and they're not slowing up. Living in Pa., I've experienced the Comcast mindset for a long time. They just don't pause. That's not their corporate philosophy.

Yes, the human side of the equation often transcends the situation. And, I can read a financial report. The Universal Q-3 report says a lot. People can make up stories but , in this case, the numbers spell it out....I agree with you Teebin. Universal is on a roll and they're not slowing up. Living in Pa., I've experienced the Comcast mindset for a long time. They just don't pause. That's not their corporate philosophy.

Not quite. Numbers are numbers, yes, but it's the implications behind them thats where conflicting info comes from. If revenue increases X%, is that above or below their expectated Y%? Thats what you have to consider. Also, does a certain amount of revenue justify proposed projects, does it not cover some of the blue sky for the next few quarters, etc. etc. If you dont work for the comapny's financial department, numbers and Q3 reports are meaningless...feel free to analyze it all you want but nobody here knows for sure what these reports mean for the company aside from the black-and-white "this is what they earned".

I don't agree with the reports that the budgets were "slashed". I also would be surprised if everything goes 100% as planned. I for one and am very excited about Universal's earnings and these next few projects sound amazing and incredible. BUT seeing a financial report from one quarter does not make one savvy to the company's motives.

*EDIT--I'm not siding on one poster over another, at all. Just playing devil's advocate. Im
guessing there's at least some truth to most claims, but would be more inclined to believe that Universal is advancing full steam ahead

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, full steam ahead, that fits in with what we've seen thus far. You're right, we don't know "exactly' what happens behind the scenes, but indications look positive. And as some of the insiders have said, these numbers are pretty good considering the expansion opened 3 to 4 weeks behind schedule and there was little advance publicity concerning an opening date. Hopefully, the fourth quarter results follow with good numbers. The huge overflow crowds that most everyone is reporting for HHN should translate into decent numbers, and I would guess those crowds have a lot to do with the Diagon buzz, even though it's not open for most of the HHN hours. But I strongly disagree with you on one point. Bottom line earnings are what drive most financial decisions. I've been in the business world a long time and financials are what it's all about.

The WDW Magic board is filled with plenty of angry Disney fans. So calling them out for being a fanboy site is a bit ridiculous. Sure there are Disney fans on that site, but most of them are VERY critical of Disney. It's not all sunshine and lollipops over there. I actually find the site a lot more negative then this one, which is why I prefer to browse and post in this one more often.

However, this site also has FAR less Disney gossip. It's almost 90% Universal, and 5% Disney, and 5% Other parks. So when I need to scratch and itch for Disney rumors, that's the place to be.
I find the Spirit threads fun to read.

Personally I see ALL of these rumors, speculation, etc..as just THAT. Nothing is ever definite until the park opens.

Spirit is no different then HTF, JungleSkip, or Teebin, who pass out nuggets of gossip based on their "sources". So calling him out for giving out "bad info" is just childish. He obviously has connections, and he has been right on many many rumors.

Personally, I feel some of you are too wrapped up in this whole "Universal VS Disney" arguement sometimes, that you let it cloud your judgement.

Reactions: Nick
I still think with Comcast they want these things planed out for steady growth. They don't want it where they get slammed and people leave less satisfied. Also when any company does a big expansion it is a good idea to over hire and thin it out after the fact. When hiring a ton of people at once what are the chances that 100% of them will work out? It is just better for business and they won't be scrambling for people when they are needed.

Magic does well as a Disney site. But not so well as a Universal forum. The mix just doesn't work well over there. Partly, because there is a core of Disney fans that attacks Universal no matter the information. I read Magic for Disney news. And, to make a point, I do like Disney.and I do like Magic for Disney info. My issue with Spirit is that when he gives out his so called Universal info, he generally directs negative comments at Universal fans and the Parkscope guys, kind of showing his contempt for Universal. And his Universal info generally doesn't pan off, then he backs away from his original comments. But he sometimes has decent Disney info. And yes, we all realize that these are rumors and decisions change over time. ..... But, for Universal info, there is no better site than OU, by far. TPI and OI are OK for Universal info, but not the level of OU. The readership here is generally more knowledgeable and common sense oriented than any other site reporting Universal issues.

My issue with Spirit is that when he gives out his so called Universal info, he generally directs negative comments at Universal fans and the Parkscope guys, kind of showing his contempt for Universal
His issue seems to be he thinks many Unifans are blindly praising everything without proper judgement. He prefaces things like that when he's going to say something slightly bad about the future of Uni, because he is of the opinion that many Unifans will blindly defend the resort no matter what. He has gone with Parkscope as they are very public on twitter and also leak a lot of Universal info. He just likes to drum up controversy. If you pay attention, he talks down on WDW possibly even more. The only reason he isn't as much right now is because there's actually a big project in the works for once.

You are unfairly grouping together the entire site as Unihaters because of a few posters. The site is generally pretty balanced, if not overly negative towards WDW at times, these days. Ever since Spirit started posting over there a few years ago, the rose colored glasses have gone away big time. Uni has continued to dominate, WDW to stagnate. People are realizing that WDW isn't the powerhouse in Orlando that they once were.

I don't agree with the reports that the budgets were "slashed". I also would be surprised if everything goes 100% as planned. I for one and am very excited about Universal's earnings and these next few projects sound amazing and incredible. BUT seeing a financial report from one quarter does not make one savvy to the company's motives.

There is also a difference between a budget slash and a budget adjustment; so it is possible that one plans first with a high budget that is a tad unrealistic, then adjusts things to fit in a more realistic budget.

Spirit is no different then HTF, JungleSkip, or Teebin, who pass out nuggets of gossip based on their "sources". So calling him out for giving out "bad info" is just childish. He obviously has connections, and he has been right on many many rumors.

I'm not going to get into it, but no, he does not have solid, reliable Universal connections at the present time, and has not for quite sometime.

Anyway...

:focus:

Does it look like Universal has accelerated their opening date for the water park? Any thoughts on that?

I don't think so. For the level of detail that they are apparently going for, they will need every bit of the next 2 years to complete it. I would like to point out that it is nearly 2015 already.

I don't think so. For the level of detail that they are apparently going for, they will need every bit of the next 2 years to complete it. I would like to point out that it is nearly 2015 already.

Agreed, if Aquatica took just over a year, then something that it is going to be way more elaborate will definitely take much longer.
Hopefully early 2017 will have a passholder soft opening, and passholders will be able to add the park to their pass.

I'm sure progress will be relatively slow on the park until maybe next summer, when I'm sure they'd begin to kick it into high gear. If they've targeted summer 2017 as their opening date I bet they'll be moving along soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.