Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 241 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That idea came to me while I was drifting off to sleep a couple nights ago too. Some prototype cars are using see-through LCD displays to show speedometers and such on windshields... Couldn't that be used to display a banana in the road we're about to hit, left by another racer... And then when we hit it, we fishtail a little and it slows us down (using Universal's patent for drifting to make the back end of the car move side to side like in the game.)

d4f9550c3f4c279d67f02f02ef241c92.jpg
I feel they could do this with good old fashioned Musion and some thin LED screens...Mario Kart is going to be amazing if you can toss out power ups and make other people spin out and such

Reactions: Alicia and Mike S
They should ride the Switch release and put out info Friday. Not going to happen, but a man can dream.
If the Switch becomes a major success you can bet Universal will be very happy indeed.

I wonder, could they start offering in room Switch docks so you don't have to bring your own from home? Could be a nice little convenient service.

If the Switch becomes a major success you can bet Universal will be very happy indeed.

not exactly. They are creating Nintendo land based on the IPs not based on the system. If Nintendo produced games sell better than 3rd party, then Universal will be happy, however now third party games have the ability to outsell Nintendo games for the switch, more issues can occur where they might outshine Nintendo's own releases.

Reactions: nebben
not exactly. They are creating Nintendo land based on the IPs not based on the system. If Nintendo produced games sell better than 3rd party, then Universal will be happy, however now third party games have the ability to outsell Nintendo games for the switch, more issues can occur where they might outshine Nintendo's own releases.
The more popular the Switch is the more their IPs will get out there. That was my thinking there.

What? This makes no sense at all.

What? This makes no sense at all.

Lets say Call of Duty, Kingdom Hearts 3, etc for the switch sells well on the Switch yet Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, and Zelda flop. Though Nintendo sold the switch, Universal isn't caring as much about switch sales itself, rather than the strength of the IPs Nintendo owns. If Nintendo's own IPs aren't selling well, I think Universal would be way more concerned about the return of investment on the characters in the park.

Lets say Call of Duty, Kingdom Hearts 3, etc for the switch sells well on the Switch yet Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, and Zelda flop. Though Nintendo sold the switch, Universal isn't caring as much about switch sales itself, rather than the strength of the IPs Nintendo owns. If Nintendo's own IPs aren't selling well, I think Universal would be way more concerned about the return of investment on the characters in the park.

It's pretty much impossible for them to flop though. Mario Kart, Super Mario, and Zelda always sell well.

Reactions: Andysol
I wouldn't worry too much about Switch success or failure in regards to the parks. This console's lifespan might even be nearing it's end by the time Super Nintendo World is open in all three regions. It's not going to affect much of anything parks related.

Plus historically, Nintendo brands like Mario do even better when they are on systems with successful third party support, so if that is what the Switch ends up being, games like Mario and Zelda will be bigger hits now than they've been in about a decade.

Nintendo only was able to sell a small number of WiiU's (13.6 million IR Information : Sales Data - Hardware and Software Sales Units in a bit more then 4 years. That is a huge flop especially when you take in account that PS3 and Xbox360 user had a hunger for a new console. Nintendo was early but delivered a current gen console while most consumers where in the market for next gen.

Although the Switch is a bit more powerful it's not close to a PS4 or Xbox One and even these consoles will be replaced by a next step in evolution in about 2 years. It's not a contender to replace these consoles and it will be (mainly) another Nintendo software only console.

They could stop making consoles and produce their games for PlayStation, Xbox and mobile and be insanely successful financially. Nintendo has deep pockets but their investors won't tolerate another flop. In the end the ip's are strong and whatever the Switch will do, Universal will have a great partner with the Nintendo brand, nostalgia wise and for the future.

You and everyone else here knows that will never happen. Even when it comes to their worst selling systems Nintendo games are always the top seller on Nintendo platforms.
I wouldn't worry too much about Switch success or failure in regards to the parks. This console's lifespan might even be nearing it's end by the time Super Nintendo World is open in all three regions. It's not going to affect much of anything parks related.

Plus historically, Nintendo brands like Mario do even better when they are on systems with successful third party support, so if that is what the Switch ends up being, games like Mario and Zelda will be bigger hits now than they've been in about a decade.
The Switch will have been on the market for only 2-3 years by the time it opens in Orlando.

Nintendo portables almost always last 6+ years.

Nintendo only was able to sell a small number of WiiU's (13.6 million IR Information : Sales Data - Hardware and Software Sales Units in a bit more then 4 years. That is a huge flop especially when you take in account that PS3 and Xbox360 user had a hunger for a new console. Nintendo was early but delivered a current gen console while most consumers where in the market for next gen.

Although the Switch is a bit more powerful it's not close to a PS4 or Xbox One and even these consoles will be replaced by a next step in evolution in about 2 years. It's not a contender to replace these consoles and it will be (mainly) another Nintendo software only console.

They could stop making consoles and produce their games for PlayStation, Xbox and mobile and be insanely successful financially. Nintendo has deep pockets but their investors won't tolerate another flop. In the end the ip's are strong and whatever the Switch will do, Universal will have a great partner with the Nintendo brand, nostalgia wise and for the future.
You're conveniently forgetting that all the things people love about PlayStation and Xbox have literally no effect on Nintendo portables. The design of the Switch is no mistake. It's a bet on Nintendo's biggest strength.

Edit: these posts should be in the Switch thread though.

The Switch will have been on the market for only 2-3 years by the time it opens in Orlando.

Nintendo portables almost always last 6+ years.

Sorry, I meant it in such an extreme case that it sells so poorly it's not even around in 3 years. That's not a likely scenario at all, but even in such a bleak hypothetical it has no bearing on the park plans whatsoever.

Nintendo's gaming business ordeals =/= Universal's Nintendo park plans

Sorry, I meant it in such an extreme case that it sells so poorly it's not even around in 3 years. That's not a likely scenario at all, but even in such a bleak hypothetical it has no bearing on the park plans whatsoever.

Nintendo's gaming business ordeals =/= Universal's Nintendo park plans
Well if they're successful and everyone's talking about them it would only increase interest in the land.

Reactions: E.Gadd

There is zero historical evidence of this occurring in nearly 30 years, let alone the idea Kingdom Hearts 3 will be coming to this system. It is more likely EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and other larger developers do minimal development for the system while Nintendo develops and/or publishes the majority of AAA titles (not including what appears to be a more robust indie scene).

I'll leave you with this: Mario Kart Wii sold 36.8 million copies. Mario Kart 8, sold on the Wii U with an install base difference the size of most countries still sold over 8 million copies.

Reactions: Mike S and E.Gadd
There is zero historical evidence of this occurring in nearly 30 years, let alone the idea Kingdom Hearts 3 will be coming to this system. It is more likely EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and other larger developers do minimal development for the system while Nintendo develops and/or publishes the majority of AAA titles (not including what appears to be a more robust indie scene).

I'll leave you with this: Mario Kart Wii sold 36.8 million copies. Mario Kart 8, sold on the Wii U with an install base difference the size of most countries still sold over 8 million copies.
Kingdom Hearts 3 actually has a shot due to the series being on Nintendo portables before so there's little to no fear of it not selling. Compare this to Xbox which has never had a single KH game before 3. Also Unreal Engine 4 being Switch compatible.

Speaking of Activision there's been recent speculation that Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy may only be a timed exclusive on PS4.
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy may not be exclusive to PS4 after all – VG247
I'd totally buy it for Switch.

Kingdom Hearts 3 actually has a shot due to the series being on Nintendo portables before so there's little to no fear of it not selling. Compare this to Xbox which has never had a single KH game before 3. Also Unreal Engine 4 being Switch compatible.
I'd totally buy it for Switch.

If I'm not mistaken, haven't the base KH titles not been to an Nintendo Device (KH1, KH2)?