Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm really surprised how much negativity there is because the Wii U isn't selling well.

The Wii, the 3DS, 2DS, DS, whatever DS is still very popular and the characters have over 30 years of popularity, multiple generations AND genders.

Now, having said that, I was the one who mentioned in the past that I would have trouble with a video game based theme park land for several reasons, and why it hadn't been done before, but somehow I'm VERY excited for this.

While I think a mario land is a lock with some sort of Mario Kart ride, and I'm sure Pokemon will have a huge presence, I can't see a phase one being much more than that. They are going to get the ones they know are most popular and are instant money makers in the parks first. I think they will find a way to utilize most/all of the kidzone space on the first round, but they will do it with the most bankable properties. I don't see Zelda having a huge presence or Metroid, or any of the other minor properties being thrown around. They may have presences in stores or walkarounds, but, in the first phase at least, there will be no rides or major space dedicated. Donkey Kong is an interesting dilemma. With King Kong coming in, does that hurt the chances of a Donkey Kong ride or will they see that as irrelevant? Or even a marketing ploy with two kongs? Now once this is open, if its a huge merch/attendance driver, then all bets are off. But I think we should just expect Mario/Pokemon at first.

Quick question...has anything been said about Toon Lagoon?

I'm looking at this here NeoGAF thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1042141&page=10) and I see some of them claim there's been rumors that Uni is looking to replace the area. However, I looked at ScreamScape just now and I didn't see anything regarding that (I only saw that Dr. Doom might get axed and Hulk renovated or something). Are there other theme park rumor sites like that to look at?

There's no way Nintendo would agree to that. They're JKR-level protective about their properties. They'll want the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Waaaaaay closer than 10 years out. This is your KidZone project.

Is the fasttracked project still F&F? Because if so, does that mean this could be done by 2018 or 2019?

Universal is supposed to be a movie based theme park. It's a movie studio brand for crying out loud. I HATE this news more than anything. This whole Nintendo thing belongs in an amusement park, not a theme park.

Last edited:
Universal is supposed to be a movie based theme park. It's a movie studio brand for crying out loud. I HATE this news more than anything. This whole Nintendo thing belongs in an amusement park, not a theme park.

p14798_p_v7_aa.jpg

Not to mention netflix is making a live action Zelda series

It would be really easy to move away from the movie studio concept to a general studio concept. HRRR already fits that mold. There's movie studios, music studios, and game studios. How about Universal Studios Florida being a general studios park encompassing all three of those types of studios? They already cover two, after all.

One of my favourite things about this news is how it is a genuine surprise!

Seems to have caught everyone out here and there's nothing better than real 'news'.

This whole Nintendo thing belongs in an amusement park, not a theme park.

I vehemently disagree. Do you see how Six Flags is using DC Comics and Looney Tunes characters? It's an abomination.

Video games are an immersive storytelling medium that spans generations. This is a brilliant deal for both companies, and Nintendo absolutely deserves a presence in the world's greatest theme parks.