Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It would be really easy to move away from the MOVIE studio concept to a general studio concept. HRRR already fits that mold. There's movie studios, music studios, and game studios. How about Universal STUDIOS Florida being a general studios park encompassing all three of those types of studios? They already cover two, after all.

If they moved away from it I would quit being a fan. A game studio would be the worst thing in my opinion. Games, while they are extremely popular, don't deserve the Universal treatment. Universal is supposed to capture the magic of Hollywood and immerse you into films. After the HRRR disaster they started going back to the movie feel with HP, Kong, ect. Now they seem to be going in opposite directions again.

- - - Updated - - -

I vehemently disagree. Do you see how Six Flags is using DC Comics and Looney Tunes characters? It's an abomination.

Video games are an immersive storytelling medium that spans generations. This is a brilliant deal for both companies, and Nintendo absolutely deserves a presence in the world's greatest theme parks.

Nintendo comes off as a cheap brand. When I think of video game rides, or Nintendo in general, I think instantly of Six Flags or Cedar Fair. Nintendo would be the Planet Snoopy of Cedar Fair or the Looney Tunes of Six Flags. It would fit better getting a horrid treatment from Six Flags than the time and effort of Universal and I would be ok with that.

Last edited:
My ideas for potential attractions,

Indoor trackless ride based on luigis mansion, with interactive hoovers to suck up the ghosts!

Super smash brothers show

Indoor mario kart coaster

Pokemon island boat ride

Putting my flag in the sand for 2017 for this project. Probably 2018 though.

Would a phased opening be possible if they use Kidzone and the MIB plot? My new guesses:

2016: Kong, Fallon
2017: Furious, Volcano Bay
2018: Marvel, Nintendo

The Fallon simulator is the hardest piece to place.

If they moved away from it I would quit being a fan. A game studio would be the worst thing in my opinion. Games, while they are extremely popular, don't deserve the Universal treatment.

- - - Updated - - -

Nintendo comes off as a cheap brand. It would fit better getting a horrid treatment from Six Flags than the time and effort of Universal.

You've got to be kidding me, right? This isn't Universal becoming a gaming studio, or even the park becoming game-centric, it's about bringing amazingly iconic characters into the parks that reach as broad a demographic as Mickey and friends, and creating amazing experiences on the level of Diagon and Hogsmeade based around them. Why don't Mario, Pikachu, Zelda, and company "deserve" the "Universal treatment?" Give me one, solid, reasonable answer that isn't just "I don't like the IP" or "it isn't a movie."

This makes absolutely zero sense, at all. I don't really like Frozen that much, but I'm definitely excited about the additions for it over in Tokyo, because it will be done right and be amazing. The same will go for Nintendo at Universal.

I think this takes over all of KidZone/MIB plot, at least to start. If it's anywhere near Potter-level popular, then we can talk about it being in 2 parks.

My guess: KidZone is demolished and becomes Mushroom Kingdom. MIB plot either becomes Pokémon or Hyrule.

my only thought about this is just how would this tie in to the general flow of the park? i think you would be passing/skipping sprigfield or having to walk back to springfield.. if this were the case i could imagine walking in through kidzone and out through the side of MIB ..

---- Now UNI really has all the Kongs and Dragons and--- more Castles? lol

my only thought about this is just how would this tie in to the general flow of the park? i think you would be passing/skipping sprigfield or having to walk back to springfield.. if this were the case i could imagine walking in through kidzone and out through the side of MIB ..

---- Now UNI really has all the Kongs and Dragons and--- more Castles? lol

Basically I'd imagine it as a loop in the back of the park. You can either go into Nintendo land or through Springfield

6) Disney fans are fuming
When you say this, I, as a fan of both parks, can attest that this makes me thrilled for the future of UOR and even more grim on WDW's future. Uni just dropped two grenades on WDW in 2 days. Yeah, it's gonna make WDW fans a little antsy.

It's amazing, in a year where Uni and WDW both aren't opening any new attractions, Uni is STILL kicking WDW's ass. Can't wait until next year when Kong and Sapphire are open and 2017 when the water park opens!

I think it will be simple. Mario (and friends) and Pokemon. No Zelda, No Star-Fox, No F-Zero, No Animal Crossing as far as attractions go. Definitely no Metriod if this is themed to kids. Maybe Yoshi's Island could fit for a water park setting. I'm on board with this being a Toon Lagoon replacement.

You've got to be kidding me, right? This isn't Universal becoming a gaming studio, or even the park becoming game-centric, it's about bringing amazingly iconic characters into the parks that reach as broad a demographic as Mickey and friends, and creating amazing experiences on the level of Diagon and Hogsmeade based around them. Why don't Mario, Pikachu, Zelda, and company "deserve" the "Universal treatment?" Give me one, solid, reasonable answer that isn't just "I don't like the IP" or "it isn't a movie."

This makes absolutely zero sense, at all. I don't really like Frozen that much, but I'm definitely excited about the additions for it over in Tokyo, because it will be done right and be amazing. The same will go for Nintendo at Universal.

Because video games have no business being in a MOVIE studio park. Movies are much more glamorous than video games. I would rather see a movie getting made than somebody sitting at a computer making wireframe for a game. That's besides the point though. Universal is a Movie park (besides HRRR) and it should stay that way. For Japan, Nintendo is fine but over here it'll just come across as a gimmick. When I think of Nintendo I think of other tacky Japanese things like Hello Kitty. Hell, I would even be upset if Sesame Street came to Universal Orlando like it is in Japan.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it will be simple. Mario (and friends) and Pokemon. No Zelda, No Star-Fox, No F-Zero, No Animal Crossing as far as attractions go. Definitely no Metriod if this is themed to kids. Maybe Yoshi's Island could fit for a water park setting. I'm on board with this being a Toon Lagoon replacement.

If this is going to happen, I'm somewhat ok with a kidzone replacement but please for the love of god don't let it replace Toon Lagoon! I just hope Universal decides to change it's mind and keep it over seas.

If they moved away from it I would quit being a fan. A game studio would be the worst thing in my opinion. Games, while they are extremely popular, don't deserve the Universal treatment. Universal is supposed to capture the magic of Hollywood and immerse you into films. After the HRRR disaster they started going back to the movie feel with HP, Kong, ect. Now they seem to be going in opposite directions again.

- - - Updated - - -

Nintendo comes off as a cheap brand. When I think of video game rides, or Nintendo in general, I think instantly of Six Flags or Cedar Fair. Nintendo would be the Planet Snoopy of Cedar Fair or the Looney Tunes of Six Flags. It would fit better getting a horrid treatment from Six Flags than the time and effort of Universal and I would be ok with that.

wow.. I seriously object to your statements. Mario is MUCH more known than Snoopy i think ever will be.. and the job that Uni will do with Nintendos property is much more enhanced and surreal than anything six flags can and will ever do. You need to think outside the Box/Bun Uni can really take this to the next level. And if Nintendo is smart they can also take advantage of the excellent image that Uni will create for its properties and really truly revitalize its entire company image. As someone posted in the comments before.. in 2004 Mario was a bigger brand than Mickey... think about that for a minute sure its been a decade but ... IT WAS BIGGER THAN MICKEY... if that doesn't show potential and how high that ceiling is i mean nothing will... this is a world wide still relevant character and what Uni can do WILL do i'm sure cant even begin to be imagined.

- side note -

wow the things that have been announced this past week are jaw dropping

I understand your complaint, but to be fair Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon have all been cartoons before now

Mario: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Super_Mario_Bros._Super_Show!
Zelda: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda_(TV_series)
Donkey Kong:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_Country_(TV_series)
Pokemon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_(anime)

So to me it is no different than Woody Woodpecker, Barney, or Curious George. To take it a step further, it is no different than the rumored Nickelodeon replacement which would have brought Spongebob and TMNT.

Reactions: tielo
Because video games have no business being in a MOVIE studio park. Movies are much more glamorous than video games. I would rather see a movie getting made than somebody sitting at a computer making wireframe for a game. That's besides the point though. Universal is a Movie park (besides HRRR) and it should stay that way. For Japan, Nintendo is fine but over here it'll just come across as a gimmick. When I think of Nintendo I think of other tacky Japanese things like Hello Kitty. Hell, I would even be upset if Sesame Street came to Universal Orlando like it is in Japan.

Why does it have to be a movie studio park, though? Sure, Universal Studios Florida was originally about movies, but why shouldn't it change? And a heck of a lot of movies are made by people sitting at a computer these days, so there's that as well. Nintendo isn't a gimmick, and if they give it the Potter treatment (and Nintendo is as controlling as Rowling, maybe more so, as others have pointed out), why would you think it would come across as one? Let go of the idea of USF as a strictly movie/TV park, and enjoy the great additions.

wow.. I seriously object to your statements. Mario is MUCH more known than Snoopy i think ever will be.. and the job that Uni will do with Nintendos property is much more enhanced and surreal than anything six flags can and will ever do. You need to think outside the Box/Bun Uni can really take this to the next level. And if Nintendo is smart they can also take advantage of the excellent image that Uni will create for its properties and really truly revitalize its entire company image. As someone posted in the comments before.. in 2004 Mario was a bigger brand than Mickey... think about that for a minute sure its been a decade but ... IT WAS BIGGER THAN MICKEY... if that doesn't show potential and how high that ceiling is i mean nothing will... this is a world wide still relevant character and what Uni can do WILL do i'm sure cant even begin to be imagined.

- side note -

wow the things that have been announced this past week are jaw dropping

My point is, the highest treatment Nintendo deserves is the Six Flags treatment. It's brand doesn't deserve the quality Universal can create. It'd be a waste of time and space when Nintendo belongs in a medium tier amusement park at most.

I can't...I just can't. Any IP that can be used to create amazing experiences accessible for a theme park audience should be applauded for being used, and "deserves" the quality Universal can create. To suggest otherwise confirms a simple negative bias and no basis in reality.

Reactions: ThreePack Shagur
Oh who cares. Just give me some awesome rides and immersive entertainment!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Let's consider this for a moment....replacing Toon Lagoon.

So we would have characters like

Mario, Luigi, King Koopa
Donkey Kong
Link,Zelda
Pokemon
...just to name a few

replacing things like

Dudley Do-Right
Popeye and Bluto
Hagar the Horrible
Cathy

I don't know about you, but I know which characters have been more popular in the past 30 years.

Because video games have no business being in a MOVIE studio park. Movies are much more glamorous than video games. I would rather see a movie getting made than somebody sitting at a computer making wireframe for a game. That's besides the point though. Universal is a Movie park (besides HRRR) and it should stay that way. For Japan, Nintendo is fine but over here it'll just come across as a gimmick.

Oh th sweet irony of USF is a movie park but your signature is of the Simpsons area. Also before you respond: Fear Factor and Barney.

To say it's fine for Japan but not here is baffling at best.

Nintendo's worlds are tacky and kiddish. The reason they're losing the console war is because they haven't changed since the 80's. I would be raising hell if the made any other video game "world" on property but Nintendo comes off as a brand that belongs over seas. It's like Hello Kitty, don't let it come over here.

Let's consider this for a moment....replacing Toon Lagoon.

So we would have characters like

Mario, Luigi, King Koopa
Donkey Kong
Link,Zelda
Pokemon
...just to name a few

replacing things like

Dudley Do-Right
Popeye and Bluto
Hagar the Horrible
Cathy

I don't know about you, but I know which characters have been more popular in the past 30 years.

The same can be said for the vast majority of KidZone as well. Only relevant character there is ET.