Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 57 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In my opinion, the one thing Nintendo will REQUIRE is interactivity. They wouldn't allow just a sit through ride experience. I'm convinced in my mind that Universal blew them away with the interactivity elements presented and that is what sealed the deal. I'm expecting lots of button pressing, shooting, waving at screens, arm gestures, etc. etc. They're gonna want it to feel like a video game. I would be shocked if there wasn't some way to drop a banana peel or throw a turtle shell in Mario Kart.

I really interested to see how they incorporate musion (or whatever tech they use) into the ride. Having it on an open-air vehicle would be hard. If it were a normal car, you would have a windshield, but I'm worried about being able to see around the glass/screens and seeing what's actually happening.

I know it's too expensive (and fragile) for a theme park attraction, but it would be amazing if they put augmented reality into goggles, similar to google glass, but covering your eyes. It would solve a lot of problems, I'm sure, but also create a lot of new ones.

I am under the impression that the Karts will have windshields.

One thing that I am curious about is if we will actually driving the Karts. If so, this will probably be a "team" effort. One Driver, one or more shooters.

Reactions: Stitchie
Yep, karts will have augmented reality windscreens, I believe the karts will Physically move around a course either track or tackles and will spin if hit by turtle shells seen on said windscreen. So screens will be used but not as we know them. Sounds fun.

Reactions: Stitchie

One thing that I am curious about is if we will actually driving the Karts. If so, this will probably be a "team" effort. One Driver, one or more shooters.

That'd be amazing if it were like Double Dash, with a forward-facing driver and rear-facing shooter(s).

Reactions: martymcflyy85
If true I hope for an inside ride with controlled lighting because the musion effect in cars window screens is bad during the day under many weather conditions.

Yep, karts will have augmented reality windscreens

Definitely seems the most logical. Any idea if the RVs will be enclosed? I'm really interested in the design of these karts. It seems like it's going to take some incredible engineering to make this ride both fun and interactive. I anticipate this attraction will be a game changer (no pun intended).

Correct me if i'm wrong...but is this the first time that Augmented Reality is being used in a scale like this? As from what it seems; this would be what was said, a game-changer..but not just for theme parks.

My bet is each kart will have four riders. Two drivers and two handling the items. The whole two driver thing will be so kids can drive with parental assistance, or parents can drive and kids can "help" (push the gas and stuff).

So, lets headcount for MarioKart and if i'm wrong, correct me or just say i'm wrong;

-Trackless VERY likely
-Musion for the attraction is definite
-Interactivity will be in the ride in some capacity in ride cars (tablets implanted to the backs of seats
-First time Augmented Reality is being used in a major aspect in a technological scale
-Screens will be definite which is good, considering the IP

If that doesn't seem like a game-changer, then I don't know what is.

Last edited:
So, lets headcount for MarioKart and if i'm wrong, correct me or just say i'm wrong;

-Trackless VERY likely
-Interactivity will be in the ride in some capacity in ride cars (tablets implanted to the backs of seats
-First time Augmented Reality is being used in a major aspect at a ThemePark

Not just first time AR used as a major aspect in a theme park, but the first time used on a large scale (to the public anyway)... ever.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Not just first time AR used as a major aspect in a theme park, but the first time used on a large scale (to the public anyway)... ever.

I forgot about that and that scares me. It is truly the first time this tech is being used, for this type of usage, in any market. Even in consumer tech, its never been done.

In a lack of better terms, UC is doing the tech and dark ride world; since Disney did Poohs Hunny Hunt at Japan back in the day.

I forgot about that and that scares me. It is truly the first time this tech is being used, for this type of usage, in any market. Even in consumer tech, its never been done.

In a lack of better terms, UC is doing the tech and dark ride world; since Disney did Poohs Hunny Hunt at Japan back in the day.
Yup.

I just randomly thought about this, but wow would Walt hate DL and WDW if he were alive today. The fact that DL has remained mostly in tact (with slight additions here and there) since his death would drive him mad as he was all about change. DL saw an over-abundance of change through it's first 10+ years. While he would probably object to the restricting nature of a lot of Uni's attractions (height wise), i'd wager he'd be far more impressed with the engineering, the ride systems, facades, and the speed in which they are doing everything.

-Trackless VERY likely
-First time Augmented Reality is being used in a major aspect in a technological scale

I bolded what seems to definitely fit with what I heard. I can't speak on the musion or AR stuff.