Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 189 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In my opinion i would much rather wait and not see any nintendo property go into usf. Usf has all their ips based on tv shows or movies, would a video game section fit that well into it? If you put it in the 4th gate you also have the room to have future expansion for it possibly making it the biggest land out of all the parks. Does anyone have the same feelings that it would not work as well in usf as the 4th park?

Well obviously chronologically, yes it would be second. But it all comes down to what Nintendo wants to do I think since they have a lot of creative say and since Mario is the company mascot (and probably one of the most recognizable characters in the WORLD), it only makes sense for him to go first.
Yeah, that was my point Mario is the obvious primary Nintendo property.

Second yes, but you said "seconds." To me it read like the derogatory "sloppy seconds," which Zelda and Pokémon are not.
I wouldn't say "sloppy seconds" but seconds are called seconds because they're not the first choice, that's exactly what we're talking about here. If Universal could only build one Nintendo property it would be Mario, anything else would be a secondary choice. I don't think any other property would have the drawing power that Mario does. Going back to my original point that's a pretty big deal and could really help to get a new park off on the right foot. Zelda, Pokemon, etc. are all great additions but aren't going to drive traffic like Mario.

Pokémon games outsell Mario games....
According to Wikipedia, the core Super Mario franchise has sold 311.46 million copies, as opposed to 280 million for Pokemon. And that's even excluding the offshoots like Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc., which have all collectively done 528.52 million.

List of best-selling video game franchises - Wikipedia

Now that's not necessarily an indicator of what the most recent game sales might be doing, but I would say it's a fair indicator of how much brand awareness each franchise has with the general public.

Reactions: Joel
According to Wikipedia, the core Super Mario franchise has sold 311.46 million copies, as opposed to 280 million for Pokemon. And that's even excluding the offshoots like Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc., which have all collectively done 528.52 million.

Now that's not necessarily an indicator of what the most recent game sales might be doing, but I would say it's a fair indicator of how much brand awareness each franchise has with the general public.
I meant more so recently. Long term it has sold more due to sheer numbers I would think, but when breaking down single titles each Pokémon has seemed to outsell a solo Mario title or even offshoot.

Reactions: Mike S
I wouldn't say "sloppy seconds" but seconds are called seconds because they're not the first choice, that's exactly what we're talking about here. If Universal could only build one Nintendo property it would be Mario, anything else would be a secondary choice. I don't think any other property would have the drawing power that Mario does. Going back to my original point that's a pretty big deal and could really help to get a new park off on the right foot. Zelda, Pokemon, etc. are all great additions but aren't going to drive traffic like Mario.
I still think Zelda and Pokémon would work fine in driving traffic to the new property. Combine them with things like Dreamworks and LotR and that park is set.

I think it's important to remember that Mario (and most of Nintendo's other characters) have multi -generational appeal. Pokemon is much newer and doesn't have as much adult nostagelia.

At this point I'm not sure if "much" newer really applies. Mario Brothers was released in 1983 (not that many people remember it). Super Mario Brothers was Mario's first big hit and it was released for the NES in 1986 (in the U.S.). Pokemon Red and Blue was released on the Game Boy in 1996. So, from a practical sense you're looking at a 20 and 30 year old IP. People who played the original red and blue would easily be hitting peak decision making age for theme park visits.

One thing to remember about Mario's numbers is Super Mario Brothers was bundled with nearly every NES sold. That being said, that bundling was at least partly responsible for Mario's initial success,

I wonder how they compare as far as merchandise. There are a good number of people who grew up with Mario and while they may no longer play the games are still very much interested in the characters.
I still think Zelda and Pokémon would work fine in driving traffic to the new property. Combine them with things like Dreamworks and LotR and that park is set.
Sure I agree, I just don't think those properties would necessarily have the "must do" status that the Mario attractions would. That's why I see them as a better fit in the new park, Mario could easily anchor a whole land, the other properties would just nice additions.

Sure I agree, I just don't think those properties would necessarily have the "must do" status that the Mario attractions would. That's why I see them as a better fit in the new park, Mario could easily anchor a whole land, the other properties would just nice additions.

Zelda would probably not be on the same level as Mario, but Pokémon certainly is

So you're saying anything else outside of Mario would be SECOND.

Ya... kind of like how Diagon Alley and Kings Cross was SECOND, yet more immersive and superior.

Starting with Zelda or Pokemon instead of Mario is just dumb. That doesn't mean an area based on Zelda would be inferior to Mario land. In fact, I would be shocked if Zelda's area isn't vastly superior to a Mario area.

Which is more thematically appropriate- Dinosaurs or Avatar? Yet which area do you think everyone will prefer? And which one came *gasp* second? It's a theme park- if you build a quality land- regardless of IP- people will flock to it.

You're acting like the success of the park is dependent on which Nintendo properties it has. It won't be hurt by not having Mario.

The thing that matters more so than anything with the IP choice is the cross gender appeal along with being multi generational. Mario games and characters are very gender neutral. Old people and young people know it. It doesn't skew any demographic. Pokemon tends to be gender neutral as well. But lacks the generational pull. Then you get into Zelda and other IPs does it skew male which Universal already does well in and starts lacking mass appeal in comparison to Mario.

As long as they state potentially more Nintendo IPs are to come to further expansions it will fix any problems while solely being Mario.

You're acting like the success of the park is dependent on which Nintendo properties it has. It won't be hurt by not having Mario.
It would be CRAZY if a Nintendoland didn't have Mario. Absolutely crazy. Just like if Universal had built Diagon Alley instead of Hogsmeade. Pokemon is absolutely something they should take advantage of for an expansion, but they are not the star of the show the way Hogwarts Castle is for the Wizarding World.

I don't think anyone is arguing that. I'm saying Pokémon/Zelda would easily pull more than enough visitors to the 4th gate with the other IP options they have and Mario isn't needed there. This initial build can take over Kidzone and rest go in new park.

It would be CRAZY if a Nintendoland didn't have Mario. Absolutely crazy. Just like if Universal had built Diagon Alley instead of Hogsmeade. Pokemon is absolutely something they should take advantage of for an expansion, but they are not the star of the show the way Hogwarts Castle is for the Wizarding World.

He was talking about Park 3, not Nintendoland

If Pokémon is allowed, it would bring just as many visitors as Mario IMO. While Mario is well known, other Nintendo offerings are just a popular and would easily bring people in.
Pokemon is an entire world of endlessness as Mario. I agree with the statement about bringing in as many people as Mario. I would even say Mario and Pokemon together out Potter Potter.