Nintendo Switch | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Switch

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nintendo's upcoming Console, titled as of the initial thread; the "Nintendo NX" has been getting quite a bit of major outlet's talking about the console and what will happen at launch.

From Eurogamer, it was reported that the NX, would be a Portable Console; using the Nividia Tegera X1 graphic chip but left the door potentially open for the the upcoming graphic chip, the X2. The console would also act with Cartridiges; instead of the disk format's of Blu-Ray and DVD.

(Link: Nintendo NX is powered by Nvidia Tegra technology • Eurogamer.net

And from UK Outlet, MCV; more information has come out of it's launching lineup, bringing IP's from SEGA, Ubisoft, Activision, Square-Enix, and Warner Bros games on-board so far. They also confirmed that the NX would have a Mario Game within the first six months of the release window; much earlier than people expected. And of-course, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild would be releasing with the console on day one.

But the real shock from the report, is that GameFreak is apparently in development on a Pokémon game; for the NX console. There hasn't been an official console Pokémon title that was officially made by Gamefreak; since the GameCube Pokémon titles, which would lead people to assume that they are releasing a console exclusive Pokémon game. It would make sense, as usually; the Pokémon titles release in the early fall season.

They also confirmed Eurogamer's reports; to a hundred percent. And, they also pointed out that the performance of the console, would be within the boundries of the PS3 and PS4. They also intend to market the console to both Smartphone and Tablet Users; but also XBOX One and PS4 Players aswell.

(Link: Pokémon, Mario and Zelda headline NX 'dream' line-up | Games industry news | MCV

If I would to guess; it shouldn't be wrong until we get to see the NX unveiled, and if these rumor's are indeed true.

So in this case; are you guy's excited to see if all these rumors are true? Are you excited about the NX being possibly a Hybrid Console, with the return of cartridges? Sound off below!
GameFreak didn't make the GameCube games. That was Genius Sonority. I loved those games btw.

Pokemon moving to NX would only be natural due to its hybrid nature but doing it so soon is surprising. What if it's an NX version of "Pokemon Eclipse" to go with Sun & Moon even though they've moved away from making those third games that combine both of the previous ones?

From those that think they may be running out of time, not revealing the NX sooner..we have to remember that the XBOX One and the Nintendo DS was released 6 months prior to it's release.

Also, to whoever made this thread (as it wasn't me), you may want to merge this one with the original Nintendo NX thread..this one,

The Nintendo NX (2017) | Orlando United Forums

I agree. Plus Nintendo has said two times (I think) that the release is March 2017, plus perhaps less time between reveal and release is a smart thing, it will still be fresh in the mind. All the pre-release hype is helpful too, people are really very curious, so a late reveal makes sense as it allows for suspense to build even further. Unveiling of the PS Neo did not seem to have amassed to much, makes me wonder how well that one will do, especially since rumor has it PS5 is coming out late 2018.

I agree. Plus Nintendo has said two times (I think) that the release is March 2017, plus perhaps less time between reveal and release is a smart thing, it will still be fresh in the mind. All the pre-release hype is helpful too, people are really very curious, so a late reveal makes sense as it allows for suspense to build even further. Unveiling of the PS Neo did not seem to have amassed to much, makes me wonder how well that one will do, especially since rumor has it PS5 is coming out late 2018.
What you said plays nicely into this article I just read.
Nintendo’s NX Could Benefit From Sony And Microsoft’s Tech Obsession

I think the PS5 should wait until 2019 personally.

Reactions: anihilnation
What you said plays nicely into this article I just read.
Nintendo’s NX Could Benefit From Sony And Microsoft’s Tech Obsession

I think the PS5 should wait until 2019 personally.
Good points in there, especially that 4KHD is not common yet. I also wonder what the framerate will be of games in 4K; also, ironically enough a lot of games are not even in full HD but tend to be 720p.

I am still doubtful the NX will be completely a hybrid, unless the handheld part can connect to the base via wifi as well for extra computing power; otherwise I don't think a game like the new Zelda could be played on handheld hardware.

Prepare to be surprised.
I just can't see how it would work, handhelds can't use the same power because they don't have active cooling; unless it also connects to the base via wifi or something. Unless they have a gimmick whereby it plays on a lower graphics quality setting. Of course, could be they have some great new technology that makes it possible, would explain the secrecy.

giphy.gif

Reactions: anihilnation
A Chinese forum that first leaked the ps4 slim details, has a post up on NX235027ath33dbts43najez.jpg
The accompanying text has been run through Google translate, so obviously it's a bit 'nonsenical', but kind of gives you the idea;

"This is a host, handheld combo products, and is removable form, by the host body, performance support, and composition and handheld handle three parts.
The main body of the host contains an internal hard disk, cassette port, and a variety of interfaces composed supports TV video output.
Performance carrier is a small steel gun similar to a portable device, the main role to provide power, and Li-ion battery built-in power supply, CPU, GPU performance is also packaged in a carrier. Bluetooth, WI-FI, cable three signals transmission protocols. It plugs directly into a host body to become a similar "PS4" "XBone" host, can also be used by other protocols alone video signal to the handheld. Chip there are two possibilities, the first one is expected to adopt the latest Denver Nvdia Pascal architecture Tegra chip. Another is to use integrated solutions from AMD, R9 series 14nm GPU, the frequency of 800mhz.
PSP will handle part with 6-inch 720P, built a low-power processor, it can be provided to meet the requirements of low-quality basic operations without the use of performance support to help deal with the time. Also it can be handled by the performance of all operations of the carrier to display an image after processing, to achieve the level of performance of the host handheld experience. Somewhat similar Nvdia SHELD handheld gaming PC by synchronizing screen. However, the performance of the carrier coupled together carry handheld will not be very troublesome.
Add, no matter what kind of chip, chip performance and are far less than PS4 PS4 pro, do not have the performance too much fantasy. The main selling point is the host host separate handheld compact design and rich gameplay. It includes a series of new games and HD somatosensory game reset.
If the details are not announced in October, then to wait until early next year, welcomed the gravedigger, is completed."

As always boys and girls, this is the interwebz, so believe what you will until it's made official!

A better translation of the above text;

NX is a console-handheld hybrid. It is detachable. It contains the console itself, performance module, and the handheld/gamepad.

The console (I think it is supposed to be a dock. I'll call it a dock from now on) contains HDD, cartridge slot and various other interfaces. It supports TV output (but no CPU/GPU).
The performance module is a portable device that provides power supply. It contains a Li-Ion battery. CPU/GPU also is contained inside. It supports Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and wired connections. You plug the dock inside and it becomes a PS4/Xbone like console, but you can also transfer the signals to the handheld (like Remote Play?)
There are two candidate SoC for it: Pascal SoC from nVidia or AMD R9 SoC.

The handheld part is a 6 inch 720p screen and has a low-TDP SoC, which can satisfy basic operations with lower quality graphics when the performance module is not connected. But it can also display game graphics from the performance module which can provide a console-level graphics. A bit like nVidia Shield streaming. You can bring the performance module with you portable since it has its own battery.

Additional info: whatever the solution will be the computing power it has falls behind a PS4, let alone a PS4 Pro. Don't have high hopes for that. The selling point for it is high portability and hybrid providing rich gameplay possibilities.

If details don't get revealed in Oct then maybe wait for the beginning of next year. I welcome you guys to necrobump this post. Period."

So potentially, it's a portable that comes with a separate battery that you'll need to take with you? That sounds insane and almost unbelievable for a console in this day & age, but also it's completely Nintendo.
It seems like it'll have 3 forms: 1. Tablet like functions or very low resolution / effects. 2. Higher performance with power brick. 3. TV play.

The more I think on this, the less viable it actually seems. I'm taking a large pinch of salt on this now personally...

Last edited:

NX is a console-handheld hybrid. It is detachable. It contains the console itself, performance module, and the handheld/gamepad.

The console (I think it is supposed to be a dock. I'll call it a dock from now on) contains HDD, cartridge slot and various other interfaces. It supports TV output (but no CPU/GPU).
The performance module is a portable device that provides power supply. It contains a Li-Ion battery. CPU/GPU also is contained inside. It supports Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and wired connections. You plug the dock inside and it becomes a PS4/Xbone like console, but you can also transfer the signals to the handheld (like Remote Play?)

The handheld part is a 6 inch 720p screen and has a low-TDP SoC, which can satisfy basic operations with lower quality graphics when the performance module is not connected. But it can also display game graphics from the performance module which can provide a console-level graphics. A bit like nVidia Shield streaming. You can bring the performance module with you portable since it has its own battery.

Additional info: whatever the solution will be the computing power it has falls behind a PS4, let alone a PS4 Pro. Don't have high hopes for that. The selling point for it is high portability and hybrid providing rich gameplay possibilities.

If details don't get revealed in Oct then maybe wait for the beginning of next year. I welcome you guys to necrobump this post. Period."

So potentially, it's a portable that comes with a separate battery that you'll need to take with you? That sounds insane and almost unbelievable for a console in this day & age, but also it's completely Nintendo.
It seems like it'll have 3 forms: 1. Tablet like functions or very low resolution / effects. 2. Higher performance with power brick. 3. TV play.

The more I think on this, the less viable it actually seems. I'm taking a large pinch of salt on this now personally...
No way the battery is separate. It makes no sense.

A comment on this article suggests it's fake.
Foxconn Artist Lays Out Nintendo NX Hardware Specs - PVP Live

Last edited:
I think it is fake as well, especially since this rumor says that the HDD and card slot is in the dock ... how would you play games on the go if the cardslot is in the docking station? It also would mean that if you want to play games well on the go, you would need the handheld, the performance part and the dock, seems a little non-sensible to me.

Reactions: Mike S