Nintendo Switch | Page 87 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Switch

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
As Mike points out, it's not the first time that Nintendo has done this, especially to handheld consoles.

And while this is a console, it's a hybrid of the two types when it comes down to things.

With the Switch Pro, I almost expect a chip upgrade, to perform games that are being done on the Xbox One and PS4 Slim. It'd open the door for a lot more tripple AAA development, and would allow more flexibility for fidelity. But what I'm curious of, is the monitor for handheld.

And if this is happening, which it seems, I'm not going to be shocked if Base Switches get a drop to be 50-100 dollars cheaper.

Reactions: Magic-Man
As Mike points out, it's not the first time that Nintendo has done this, especially to handheld consoles.

And while this is a console, it's a hybrid of the two types when it comes down to things.

With the Switch Pro, I almost expect a chip upgrade, to perform games that are being done on the Xbox One and PS4 Slim. It'd open the door for a lot more tripple AAA development, and would allow more flexibility for fidelity. But what I'm curious of, is the monitor for handheld.

And if this is happening, which it seems, I'm not going to be shocked if Base Switches get a drop to be 50-100 dollars cheaper.

If they do a chip upgrade I'm gonna be really pissed.

you will basically be required to purchase the online service, just so you can upload your cloud saves when you transfer to the new console.
I mean I have the online service anyway, but if they do anything to split the library where the new version can play more games than the original, I'm going to be really, really disappointed

Reactions: Mike S
Is it just me, or is it INCREDIBLY stupid to release this information right before the holiday season?

If they want to see an increase in sales. DROP THE PRICE.

yeah, but this isn't priced as a "handheld", it's priced as a console. It's fine, as someone else said, as long as they start making games that ONLY work for Switch + or whatever, its no big deal.
It’s still both. It adopts the characteristics of both, including regular revisions to improve things like battery life and possibly making cheaper models.
To be fair, this is more of a leak than anything official.

I think we are a while off from it being revealed, but that's just me.
I think we’re also jumping the gun on what it is. Everyone is assuming it’s an improved Switch Pro when I think it’s more likely that they’re releasing a cheaper model for families with multiple kids. I mean, that’s the kind of revision I would release alongside Animal Crossing and Pokémon. It might even be the heavily speculated “handheld only” Switch.

It’s still both. It adopts the characteristics of both, including regular revisions to improve things like battery life and possibly making cheaper models.

I think we’re also jumping the gun on what it is. Everyone is assuming it’s an improved Switch Pro when I think it’s more likely that they’re releasing a cheaper model for families with multiple kids. I mean, that’s the kind of revision I would release alongside Animal Crossing and Pokémon. It might even be the heavily speculated “handheld only” Switch.

Looking at Microsoft and Sony, they both went out of their way to release a cheaper and more affordable alternative, that costs considerably less than their graphically superior counterparts. It'd already open the door for families more, if they do Switches at around the 200 dollar mark; allowing more people to get into the ecosystem.

I see no reason to why Nintendo won't do something similar, but on a larger scale for graphical fidelity. Not to mention the partnership that Nintendo has with tech giant Nvidia, I don't think this is going to be as simple as going to one end.

Looking at Microsoft and Sony, they both went out of their way to release a cheaper and more affordable alternative, that costs considerably less than their graphically superior counterparts. It'd already open the door for families more, if they do Switches at around the 200 dollar mark; allowing more people to get into the ecosystem.

I see no reason to why Nintendo won't do something similar, but on a larger scale for graphical fidelity. Not to mention the partnership that Nintendo has with tech giant Nvidia, I don't think this is going to be as simple as going to one end.
I think it’s too early for a Switch Pro. I’m not expecting that until the PS5/XB2 are at least announced.

I think it’s too early for a Switch Pro. I’m not expecting that until the PS5/XB2 are at least announced.

Considering though, there are rumors of a PS5 being released as early as late next year though; when is the limit?

In 5 months, the Nintendo Switch will be turning two years.

If we want to compare when it should happen, it should be by 2020, but that may be too late; considering the PS5 being released in the next 1 to 2 years, and whatever XBOX is doing being not that far behind. At what point do we say it happens? Because I would rather not want to see a Wii U hit Nintendo like a truck with this.

Considering though, there are rumors of a PS5 being released as early as late next year though; when is the limit?

In 5 months, the Nintendo Switch will be turning two years.

If we want to compare when it should happen, it should be by 2020, but that may be too late; considering the PS5 being released in the next 1 to 2 years, and whatever XBOX is doing being not that far behind. At what point do we say it happens? Because I would rather not want to see a Wii U hit Nintendo like a truck with this.
It’s not going to matter since Switch is a hybrid so it’s also a handheld. Did people not care about the DS because the PS3 and 360 existed? If quality games continue to come the Switch will be fine.

It’s not going to matter since Switch is a hybrid so it’s also a handheld. Did people not care about the DS because the PS3 and 360 existed? If quality games continue to come the Switch will be fine.

And yet, I don't entirely agree. Yes, it is a handheld, but it has the graphical fidelity of a home console in it's own way.

Quality games are good, really good, but one of the biggest downfalls of the Wii U was how it was outdated by the time it released, because shortly after; we had two next generational consoles from both Sony and Microsoft.

That said, Nintendo has also done updates to it's handhelds a year or two after it's intended release. Lest we forget the Nintendo 3DS XL?

And yet, I don't entirely agree. Yes, it is a handheld, but it has the graphical fidelity of a home console in it's own way.

Quality games are good, really good, but one of the biggest downfalls of the Wii U was how it was outdated by the time it released, because shortly after; we had two next generational consoles from both Sony and Microsoft.

That said, Nintendo has also done updates to it's handhelds a year or two after it's intended release. Lest we forget the Nintendo 3DS XL?
Wii U didn’t have a lot of quality games. I know because I have one. My Switch library has already eclipsed my Wii U’s after a little over a year and I had the Wii U since day 1. The Wii wasn’t hurt by being weak either if you want to talk strictly about home consoles.

I already mentioned the 3DS XL but do you remember the circumstances of the time? The 3DS was doing so bad Nintendo was forced to enact a very early $80 price cut to improve sales and likely thought an XL type improvement should be released sooner to also help sales. The Switch is nowhere near being in that type of desperate situation. A new model that focuses on affordability for families with multiple kids is the better option here since 2019 will see the release of Animal Crossing and Pokémon.

There’s also this.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180502e.pdf
Given that Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system that can be taken on the go, this situation may change if it grows from being a one-per-household system to a one-per-person system. But the price of Nintendo Switch is not something with which most parents would buy a system for every one of their children in a short period of time. Moving forward, we will work to ascertain what kinds of play people want at which price points, and as long as there is such demand, we will continue to sell the Nintendo 3DS system. I see the product coexisting with Nintendo Switch at this point in time.
Seems to me they want to make it cheaper now, not more expensive.

The 3DSXL didn't split the library. And the SWITCH was outdated by the time it released.