1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

No More Dishes at Florean Fortescue

Discussion in 'Wizarding World - Diagon Alley' started by truejonas, May 12, 2019.

1. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    All I can say is that, at the new price point, it's very likely I'll end up pulling the trigger on a souvenir glass... which it seems is what Universal wants. Getting to eat the ice cream via my preferred method and receiving a (cheap, yes) souvenir is something that I can justify spending an extra $2+ on. I've got a collection of theme park drinkware, so sure, why not add another piece.

Obviously, I'd still rather they have the simple paper cup option, but I just can't pass up the strawberry and peanut butter if I'm there.

truejonas likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Ah, but here's the thing... you go once, get that souvenir, add to your collection, all good. But after that, when you get ice cream, you no longer need to keep adding the same thing over and over again. So more than likely that souvenir you just paid for is going to end up in the trash at one point or another.

This really doesn't solve any problem other than helping UOR's bottom line.

RFRees, therock, s8film40 and 2 others like this.
  3. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

Doesn't it just have a cheap sticker on it?

4. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    I'll cross that bridge two trips from now in 2022 or whenever it ends up happening! By that point, they may be back to paper cups!

5. s8film40

s8film40 Veteran Member

Yeah that’s exactly it. If I’m on a once every so often vacation I would easily shrug this off and might even like having the souvenir cup. As a local though just getting ice cream on one of many regular visits to the park it’s not a special occasion and so it’s harder to justify the price difference and then the plastic cup just becomes a nuisance or trash.

Victoria, Nick and RevFreako like this.
  6. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

Exactly. If I can't have a paper cup at Fortescue's, I'll just go to Ben and Jerry's. Better ice cream anyway, notwithstanding my love for the earl grey and chili chocolate combo.

Mad Dog likes this.
  7. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

You can still get a paper cup in Hogsmeade — Of course these are pre-packed with a lid, but, they are the same cups.

3B866D57-D99E-4A8C-945F-DFB155DD6674.jpeg

8. Nick

Wonder if that'll change soon. None of this bothers me, as I have a staunch stance eating Butterbeer ice cream from a cone when I get ice cream here, but I can see how many will be affected by this change.

9. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

They’re prefilled cause if they had to scoop it fresh the whole thing would melt in the 100 degree sun as soon as they opened the lid to the freezer. When you buy a cup they reach in grab it and close the freezer fast. No time open. No scooping. No souvenir cup. I don’t see this changing for the outside cart due to the sun. Oh mighty hot death sun.

It’s been a long day.

faceleg and truejonas like this.
  10. Nick

True.

Alicia likes this.
  11. IHateJumpScares

IHateJumpScares Rookie

My whole family gets dishes. So that's $4.99 X 4, and usually 3 or 4 times on our trip because I am addicted to the butterbeer ice cream.

Now we will not get it nearly as often, based on principle. I'm all about throwing money at universal, and do it all the time, but when they are overtly just jacking us for bucks, I give up stuff I want and definitely don't need. I see us getting it twice, maybe, instead of 4 times.

Before: $80. After the change, assuming we get waffle cones: $44. Actually, after totaling that up, I think we'll eat less of it going forward no matter what!

But overall this may work out because many people only get it once. And will pay the extra $1.

It's a bad sign, though- that level of nickel & diming. Great way to lose the ground they have been gaining on the mouse.

12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

We didn't stop for ice cream for the first time ever on a trip, just because of this. Just two people, but maybe more will think the same. And....we dislike carrying anything around the parks that don't fit in our pockets, so souvenir cups for any purpose, are off the agenda. ...and in that heat this week, seems like many with the cones had ice cream everywhere but in their mouths. And this week will be worst.

13. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

You know I’m weird. I always get the cone anyway, but I eat it with a spoon. Then eat the cone after all the ice cream is gone. Again, I’m weird. But, at least there’s no drippy mess this way.

14. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

There were a few doing the same as you, spooning it out of the cone. That works OK, and when those temps hit high 90's all this week, that will probably be the only good method.

Alicia likes this.
  15. TheCodeMan95

TheCodeMan95 Rookie

Fun fact, that is definitely the correct way to enjoy ice cream.

Victoria and Alicia like this.
  16. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

I feel like i get less ice cream in the cone.

17. truejonas

truejonas V.I.P.

Free ice cream! :)

I'm trying to mentally figure out a way that people could "rent" (or at least deposit style) Freestyle cups. There's certainly a market for it. Probably would need a fresh straw every time to make sure the whole thing gets cleaned, but wouldn't be an impossible task.

Now, if they'd give discounts if you bring that souvenir glass back, then we're in business.

RFRees likes this.
  18. Joseph

Joseph BANNED

Really? Lol.

19. Eric

Eric Premium Member

If you're interested in just butterbeer ice cream, I found out today that you can get a cup at the outdoor butterbeer stand (to the right when entering DA). It was just a plain white cup. AP discount works as well!

CyborgDinosaur, belloq87 and Mad Dog like this.
  20. Alicia

Alicia Premium Member

The Hopping Pot.