Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

No Water from Freestyle Machines

Can you still get 1.29 refills on the red one's ?
I've seen it confirmed from a few different sources that all the refills other than Freestyle have been removed. It would seem to me they're trying to push all the drink refill business to the Freestyle machines. While on one hand I can see that it streamlines the business and makes things simpler at the same time those souvenir mugs seem to sell pretty well even at $15+. I'm beginning to think someone in F&B is just trying to get some time off with unemployment benefits. While I like Freestyle leaving that as the only option will simply be leaving money on the table that they had been accustomed to getting.

I've seen it confirmed from a few different sources that all the refills other than Freestyle have been removed. It would seem to me they're trying to push all the drink refill business to the Freestyle machines. While on one hand I can see that it streamlines the business and makes things simpler at the same time those souvenir mugs seem to sell pretty well even at $15+. I'm beginning to think someone in F&B is just trying to get some time off with unemployment benefits. While I like Freestyle leaving that as the only option will simply be leaving money on the table that they had been accustomed to getting.

I dunno. $8 per day to reactivate the cup is probably more profitable than trying to get someone to refill their red cup 7+ times in one day.

I dunno. $8 per day to reactivate the cup is probably more profitable than trying to get someone to refill their red cup 7+ times in one day.
I would guess there were probably a fair number of people who didn't actually want 8 sodas in a day but maybe one with one or two refills. I don't think those people are going to make the jump to Freestyle they will instead just get one drink. Not to mention those souvenir mugs which I don't believe thy've discontinued yet are really expensive and I usually see quite a few throughout the park.
It was silly to have 2 different types of refillable cups. This makes it much simpler.
I agree with this, however I think they could have found a better way to streamline it. Have it so you can get single refills on the Freestyle cup and possibly pt the RFID chip on the souvenir mugs.

It really appears as though this whole thing was implemented very hastily and without much thought. Apparently there is even misunderstanding of this with the TM's I'm seeing some people able to still get the refills while others are not. This whole thing is just a huge mess.

Yeah, transitions for park-wide things can be kind of messy, especially if they're not clear on phasing things out. Plus, you'll always have a few bleeding hearts who will break the rules for guests that aren't aware of the changes.

I agree with the 1-2 drink people dropping out. I know that I don't renew my chip every day because I don't need 8 sodas in a day, but I still think the money pile stacks up higher with the $8 refills than it did with the $0.99 ones, especially if people aren't actually refilling 8 times and are just looking at the $8 as being able to buy a $3.29 soda three times and save money, e.g. people who never knew about the red cups in the first place.

Yeah, transitions for park-wide things can be kind of messy, especially if they're not clear on phasing things out. Plus, you'll always have a few bleeding hearts who will break the rules for guests that aren't aware of the changes.

I agree with the 1-2 drink people dropping out. I know that I don't renew my chip every day because I don't need 8 sodas in a day, but I still think the money pile stacks up higher with the $8 refills than it did with the $0.99 ones, especially if people aren't actually refilling 8 times and are just looking at the $8 as being able to buy a $3.29 soda three times and save money, e.g. people who never knew about the red cups in the first place.
They're still selling the souvenir mugs though and I'm sure there was probably about a $14 profit margin in those.

Also to be completely honest and I don't think I'm the only one but a good number of times when I do decide to activate my Freestyle cup it's because I'll be sharing it. Other than that I don't usually see a value in it unless I'm going to be at the park all day.

Do they still have icee drinks? I seem to recall filling our refillable mug with an icee drink the first time. That was when the TM told us about the free water refills. This was July 2013, so maybe things have changed? I am good paying for icee drink refills. Love those frozen beverages

Do they still have icee drinks? I seem to recall filling our refillable mug with an icee drink the first time. That was when the TM told us about the free water refills. This was July 2013, so maybe things have changed? I am good paying for icee drink refills. Love those frozen beverages

I honestly don't remember. I think they still had them when I was last there in September. That might be a perk of the souvenir cups that they're still selling, a small discount on ICEEs.

Fountain drink locations seem to be no longer filling your own water bottles. They are handing out obscene amounts of tiny plastic cups instead.

Fountain drink locations seem to be no longer filling your own water bottles. They are handing out obscene amounts of tiny plastic cups instead.

I can understand not having the TMs handle people's containers that have been who knows where but on the other hand they do handle money (like most counter service people do) so we don't know what is on there either. I have seen some studies that you just don't want to touch the stuff at all but I would think that is the reason for all the new cups and no refills at the fountains.

I can understand not having the TMs handle people's containers that have been who knows where but on the other hand they do handle money (like most counter service people do) so we don't know what is on there either. I have seen some studies that you just don't want to touch the stuff at all but I would think that is the reason for all the new cups and no refills at the fountains.
Unless they're putting their finger in the stream of soda/water coming from the fountain I don't see an issue.

They will still fill freestyle cups (and presumably souvenir cups) which can be just as dubious in the hygiene department.

They will still fill freestyle cups (and presumably souvenir cups) which can be just as dubious in the hygiene department.

That is your first thought then and my hygene thought is obviously incorrect. When do we call a spade a spade and utter the words "cash grab"?

I never thought I would say that about Universal after Blackstone. They have been smart enough to make me want to give them my money without prying it out of my wallet.

This is shaping up like a new F&B manger was hired from down the street. ;(

That is your first thought then and my hygene thought is obviously incorrect. When do we call a spade a spade and utter the words "cash grab"?

I never thought I would say that about Universal after Blackstone. They have been smart enough to make me want to give them my money without prying it out of my wallet.

Yeah I got the freestyle reasoning. But the fact that they won't refill any old cup, but will refill freestyle and other cups bought at the park, I am going to go with cash grab. There is zero reason to change that policy.

I saw a picture of a very small clear cheap cup. The kind you would find at an office water cooler. I really hope they don't stay with those. I plan on buying souvenir cup for water and occasional soda refills to sugar us all up. But, the idea that they are getting pathetically stingy on the free water makes me sad.

It is pathetic. Makes them look really bad. People are going to compare them to Disney. The mouse still gives small cups with lids/straws, not water cooler grade cups.

Two little comments on this topic:

1. Multiple cups seem to be an industry norm, upon observation from my recent coaster trip (Carowinds, Dollywood, Holiday World). The Cedar Fair parks seem to be selling one cup that refills day of, and another that refills all season.

2. The issue about QSR filling up your personal water bottles. It can be a sanitation issue, if you think about it. Someone's mouth has been close to that bottle, or their backwash has been spread through that bottle during the day. Do you really want that near a dispenser nozzle? The small cups are definitely a disappointment, but it's the easy alternative.

To be fair I did not ask about a reusable water bottle with removable top, it was a disposable Zephyr Hills sort of thing.