"Old School" Universal Orlando | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

"Old School" Universal Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is a great thread. Just started reading it today and went through some of the early discussions. What a change in the perception of Universal since the Comcast purchase! Lots of pessimism in 2009 but now Universal is flying high. It was interesting to read the comments of those who thought WWOHP would not have much of an impact. In hindsight, those generalizations certainly proved wrong. Nearly three years of WWOHP have made a world's difference. These are the kind of threads that make Orlando United the very best of the Orlando theme park websites.

Reactions: MartyMcFly
that would be awesome if they had websites like OU who followed the progress of the construction of IOA and the completion of the resort

They did, there were two fan sites that I remember following before ioacentral. Just can't remember the names of them because that was back when tiny websites and blogs had web addresses like www.geocities.com/24579;)(&@742.universalescapeconstructionblog.6700;35$

Back in the late '90s I would view construction pictures of IOA on screamscape (it was the only theme park website I knew of at the time). I would print out all the construction pictures and would go through a lot of ink cartridges. Unfortunately I don't have any of them now. I never did see the construction of the waterway or CityWalk, these photos are fantastic. Thank you very much for posting them.

Hi Marni, Yes I have read your posts over on WDW.

I guess like a lot of us you are getting more and more disillusioned with Disney. I wonder if people jumping furums is a sign of whats to come at the parks?

Love your videos, great website too, recently watched an Alton Towers one of yours on you tube, guessing it was yours anyway.

Great first post and :welcome: to OU.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Good to see you here Martin. Your USF video is very well done. I use to swap media with you back on IRC in 2004. Look forward to your posts on here.

Hey Marni! You probably recognize me because I also frequent the WDWMagic boards often! Well, not as often recently because I'm tired of reading arguments about MyMagic+ and how awful wristbands are.

Glad to see you here!

This will be my first post here! ...kind of. I was registered here ages ago, but I forgot all of my login information. I followed Twitter a ton and got to relay updated to you all about the progress of Rockit.

A couple of months ago, myself and a friend went to an estate sale that a local (Waycross, GA) furniture store was doing. I go to these often because I collect vinyl records, old cameras, and musical instruments. I picked up a ton of 60s and 70s rock n roll, a really nice zoom lens, 3 Canon 35 mm, and 2 Minolta 35 mm. On the way out, I was going through a bunch of watercolor paintings and underneath them were three souvenir license plates from old Universal Studios! Two of them were the old Universal logo and the other was a 'Back to the Future' plate. They were all wrapped in plastic.

I paid $7 for everything all together. I thought that was pretty nice!
I looked the plates up...they're not really worth anything, but I have them on the walls of my room now - one of them next to a Universal Express pass I used over and over to ride JAWS 20 times in one day!

Recently on Craigslist I saw a golf-cart sized vehicle for sale either in Jacksonville or Orlando. I really wish I had saved it or it was still on Craigslist, because I thought you all would be really interested. It was Dr. Suess themed and looked like it had came out of Islands of Adventure. The seller claimed that it was actually used in How The Grinch Stole Christmas, I believe. I think they wanted between 1 - 3 thousand dollars for it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but there is a new exhibit at the Orange County History Center, 65 E Central Blvd Orlando, titled " Backstage to Onstage at Universal ". It's going to be there for a year, mostly has info about HHN, Mardi Gras, Macy's parade and things but also supposed to have some history of the parks as well, looks interesting enough..

Here is my Universal blast from the past from good ol' 1996-

OldUniversal9_zpsc59bddce.jpg
[/IMG]

OldUniversal8_zps4e06e3a8.jpg
[/IMG]

OldUniversal6_zps2c535591.jpg
[/IMG]

OldUniversal4_zpse011ae8e.jpg
[/IMG]

OldUniversal2_zps6b975142.jpg
[/IMG]

OldUniversal1_zps77cd9124.jpg