Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 408 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the same exact Flight of Passage ride was built at Universal the Disney Fanboys and a lot of people on this forum would call it just another boring 3d ride from Universal. They would say all they can do is screens and that the elaborate queue doesn't make up for the fact that there's no story.

I for one loved the ride, but I don't think it was the greatest thing in the world, nor did it feel like a major breakthrough in attraction design. But I can tell you I was grinning from ear to ear having a great time on the ride.

That being said, if this was a Universal attraction, some of the same people who rave about it now, would say it's a huge failure.

If the same exact Flight of Passage ride was built at Universal the Disney Fanboys and a lot of people on this forum would call it just another boring 3d ride from Universal. They would say all they can do is screens and that the elaborate queue doesn't make up for the fact that there's no story.

I for one loved the ride, but I don't think it was the greatest thing in the world, nor did it feel like a major breakthrough in attraction design. But I can tell you I was grinning from ear to ear having a great time on the ride.

That being said, if this was a Universal attraction, some of the same people who rave about it now, would say it's a huge failure.
that goes both ways

I'm thrilled at the prospect of the end of the "STORY STORY STORY" imagineering.

But Navi River Journey lacks the proper counterpoint which is tableau. There is no distinct scenic breakup of the ride.. it's jut a big flow of things in a cave. FOP does vignettes, which for all intents and purposes is tableaus in that format. The River Journey? Dunno, i still think it's about the Navi version of a hallucinogenic vision quest because of the items they chose to showcase but no one in WDI wants to admit it.
I think this is my problem with NRJ too. I get what @violarum is saying about Haunted Mansion, but there's a great set up within the queue of HM that NRJ doesn't have. Even someone like myself who has followed this project closely was surprised by the lack of set-up or story. It's just a rather short, pleasant tour of the Na'vi river. But it's far too short. Just like SDMT, you get to the good part (the shaman of songs) and all of a sudden it's over.

If the same exact Flight of Passage ride was built at Universal the Disney Fanboys and a lot of people on this forum would call it just another boring 3d ride from Universal....That being said, if this was a Universal attraction, some of the same people who rave about it now, would say it's a huge failure.
If this ride was built by Universal, it would still blow me away just the same. The theme park it operates in has no bearing on my review.

I've always thought story was over rated in theme park attraction reviews. Some people expect a classic short story or novelette on a 4 minute ride. Detractors of Kong kind of ranted & played on that aspect. C'mon people, it's a theme park ride that's over before you realized what happened. Give me fun, entertainment and some action, and I'm happy :)

I've always thought story was over rated in theme park attraction reviews. Some people expect a classic short story or novelette on a 4 minute ride. Detractors of Kong kind of ranted & played on that aspect. C'mon people, it's a theme park ride that's over before you realized what happened. Give me fun, entertainment and some action, and I'm happy :)
Story is overrated, which is why I don't mind there not being one for FoP.

But for NRJ, it's all atmosphere. Some may like that, but I certainly wouldn't wait the 120 mins the ride will be at this summer for it. I don't need a grand story or even one at all, but give me some sort of set-up of what i'm seeing. NRJ doesn't do that.

The pacing on FoP is actually very nice and the quiet cave scene is simply unheard of in modern theme park design but works very well.
By cave scene are you talking about the cave part of the queue? One thing I loved about the whole experience was the change in elevation as you entered the queue and had a slight trek up the mountain... that area is the best overlook of the land imo.

At what point is the ACE story stuff supposed to click with guests? I ask because I didn't see anything explicit about it until the queue and preshow of Flight. Seems like the "story" of this land is a testament to the backstory fetish that tickles so many fanbois. Stuff that's going to be completely lost on most guests.

The Shaman of Songs scene would be much improved upon and help people understand what was happening on the ride if there were animatronics (or hell, even just static figures) of all the animals and Na'vi you see migrating towards her throughout the ride.

Suppose the valley will get area music? It seems so odd it doesn't have any.
It's not getting are area music, but a lot of the sounds aren't up yet either. It's a supposed to be a sound system tallored to 'herds of animals' that roam throughout the park, so you'll here some alien rhinos just beyond view walking down the path.

It's not getting are area music, but a lot of the sounds aren't up yet either. It's a supposed to be a sound system tallored to 'herds of animals' that roam throughout the park, so you'll here some alien rhinos just beyond view walking down the path.

That's dissapointing. It's not particularly effective and the land seems dead without music.

So some good news - FoP seems to be using its standby queue now during previews. A listed 15 min wait backs up into the Lab scene so that seems about right for cycle time.

And reviews coming off the ride via twitter all seem positive. Occasional person didn't fit, but no one saying it's Soarin 2.0. One specifically saying it makes Soarin look like a baby ride.

I doubt Disney will get what they payed for for this land, but it does seem like it will increase overall attendance (aka. not just leach attendance from DHS). If the new Avatar films do well, then I think we may see a bigger spike in attendance the summer after the first one premiers than what we will get this summer.

That's dissapointing. It's not particularly effective and the land seems dead without music.
Wait till its finished. I've heard it can become a rather unique audio experience when its complete. Apparently, the animals on Pandora are rather loud and make pretty interesting noises.

I'm curious how they'll extend the queue when it opens and gets busy.

It has a sort of core queue that winds through all the areas but then has switchbacks that can be opened in various spots. Wonder if they will prioritize keeping the line in the building or if they will just try to keep it inside the entry point.

I'm certain in the first few weeks it will prove popular enough that neither will matter, but in a few months it should calm down some.

Anywho - something else I've been wanting to mention. The shield in front of the vehicles when you load is a mesh scrim/screen. It's painted to look solid. When the lights go out the screen for the film has bright spots that show through it - in 3D - that's how the transition is so seamless.

Reactions: WAJAS and Alicia
Status
Not open for further replies.