Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 103 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this project wouldn't get as much crap if they would just start ****ing building something! It's gonna be 2 years since the announcment in just a couple weeks. In two years all that's been done is a fake trip to Pandora and one picture of Cameron looking at something with WDI in the background. This project better be earth shattering because holding the curtain this long is just asking for a major let down if it doesn't deliver.

I think this project wouldn't get as much crap if they would just start ****ing building something! It's gonna be 2 years since the announcment in just a couple weeks. In two years all that's been done is a fake trip to Pandora and one picture of Cameron looking at something with WDI in the background. This project better be earth shattering because holding the curtain this long is just asking for a major let down if it doesn't deliver.

Seriously! With this much delay and ridiculousness there better be some ****ing out of this world attractions or literal floating lands haha

Not to add to any pre-existing pessimism, but the delays make me think that this project is doomed to fail. So much hype with zero progress to speak of over a long-ass time means that this thing better lead us to the promised land which, based on the tidbits about budget cuts, isn't likely to happen. It's like Duke Nukem. I wish they would either drop the project or just go ahead and build something that will probably never live up to our expectations.

I too, hope they figure out how to make floating islands. They aren't allowed to cheat either... no poles or wires are allowed XD

Meanwhile Potter Phase 2 is just flying up...

Right now I'm in the "Unless I see some real construction going on, I ain't believing anything" group. Sure they're moving Festival of the Lion King right now, but I could see them simply shuttering Camp Minnie-Mickey and leaving it with no replacement for who knows how long. They did it with 20,000 Leagues for over a decade, and they're doing it with Wonders of Life currently.

I too, hope they figure out how to make floating islands. They aren't allowed to cheat either... no poles or wires are allowed XD

Meanwhile Potter Phase 2 is just flying up...
technically the floating mountains are connected with vines i guess you could cheat that way..i think that's a pretty fascinating problem to deal with..how they will do this because they have to have floating mountains

They could do it by making the ground into a large magnet then making the mountains a magnet with the same pole, causing the too to repel each the mountain float. However they would then have a major issue with guests with metallic objects becoming stuck under these mountain and chaos would follow a storm as these mountains start floating off these magnets.

I saw Avatar in 3d in the theater and that was pretty cool. I understand the connection between conservation and Animal Kingdom as well. However, today's new theme park lands have a major emphasis on merchandising and food/beverage choices. You know, things that actually make the money. Those options have always been part of those lands, but today you're seeing a greater emphasis on themed food that fits within the themed space (Butterbeer, pumpkin juice, duff, lard lads) for a more cohesive experience. I don't know what the world of Avatar offers for that. Merchandise is also huge. Harry Potter basically printed money for Uni with wands and all of the numerous other pieces created in Rowling's world. I don't know what Avatar can bring to that. The biggest positive I can think of for Avatar is that it will be an incredibly interesting experiment in building a land without well known/built in food/beverage and merchandising element.

Exactly this. Disney jumped the gun on announcing it and with no progress made since then, people are just rolling their eyes.

Exactly this. Disney jumped the gun on announcing it and with no progress made since then, people are just rolling their eyes.

My guess is they felt they pressures to announce anything as UNI had been steeling all the limelight and they wanted to look like they weren't lagging behind. They should have kept their mouth shut cos they sure looking stupid right now.

My guess is they felt they pressures to announce anything as UNI had been steeling all the limelight and they wanted to look like they weren't lagging behind. They should have kept their mouth shut cos they sure looking stupid right now.

I think this also applies to announcing New Fantasy Land as open when the middle of it is a construction fishtank and the last big addition was a bathroom.

The only problem with the "start ****ing building something" approach (much as I agree with it) is that I imagine they will stop at nothing to avoid another FLE situation. It's kinda inconvenient when you start building something then change your mind half way through :lol:

Seriously though, this is just about still at the point where they could shelve the thing without loosing too much face. As things stand, they're digging themselves a hole which is getting increasingly difficult to get out of. When they open this thing in maybe 6-7 years, at an exorbitant cost and with little public interest to pay back the colossal bill, people will ask why no one had the guts to pull the plug now.

i agree with you and think there are a lot more people who are excited about it than what the theme park boards show...just my opinion.... i think what teebin said is true can wdi pull off pandora in a theme park setting...they have to go all in on this ...the bioluminecsent flora and fauna along with those mountains could make it special but it definitely needs a great E ticket..im thinking cars land as the model foe them to go by

its so far off its hard to be too pumped for it or any other project at disney when UNi is pumping out rides/lands every year

Yeah, I get you... Pandora is such an incredible place so could it look as good in real life? That's the thing. It will take a lot. I trust James Cameron, not overally trustful of Disney though... :blank:

& I just wish they'd announce something, is it just a sign that things really are THAT bad? & That no one really knows what on earth to do? Can no one agree on anything?! I haven't really been keeping up-to-date, I was looking over on Magic but I just gave up after 15 pages... Lol.

Most Disney attractions have years of planning before an announcement, let alone ground breaking, is done. FOX forced Disney's hand on Avatar (you do it or we do it) to reduce a bad fiscal quarter. WDI was just as surprised as we were with the announcement. If this actually occurred NORMALLY, we'd have an announcement this past D23 (or at the one in TDL) and then construction begins soon.

^So by that logic, construction should begin soon? So there should be concepts ready and planned out and whatnot...

All I've seen is movie props :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.