Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 236 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soarin, UoE, Test Track the new version is all scenes, Mission space. i would say most of their rides are screen based
UoE? There's a big difference in utilizing screens and screen based. UoE is probably one of the most old-school theme park rides as there is left in Orlando. Just because there's screens here and there doesn't make it screen based.

I have no problem with screens, the way Epcot uses them is very different from ride to ride from the way that Universal uses them, which is pretty similar from ride to ride. I'm just saying, from my personal experience, i've never felt screen fatigue at Epcot, where at Universal I feel it fairly quick. I think the reason for that is the parks being so close to each other, tbh.

UoE? There's a big difference in utilizing screens and screen based. UoE is probably one of the most old-school theme park rides as there is left in Orlando. Just because there's screens here and there doesn't make it screen based.

I have no problem with screens, the way Epcot uses them is very different from ride to ride from the way that Universal uses them, which is pretty similar from ride to ride. I'm just saying, from my personal experience, i've never felt screen fatigue at Epcot, where at Universal I feel it fairly quick. I think the reason for that is the parks being so close to each other, tbh.
Yeah when 25 minutes out of 30 you're staring at a screen, its a screen based ride. LOL! You're wrong about screens being here and there on UOE. In fact you're staring at screens longer than almost any other attraction in Orlando.

Yeah when 25 minutes out of 30 you're staring at a screen, its a screen based ride. LOL! You're wrong about screens being here and there on UOE. In fact you're staring at screens longer than almost any other attraction in Orlando.
Totally disagree, too many AAs and physical sets. The screens bookend the ride and are part of the experience, not THE experience. I don't know how TT is screen based, though. It's not like Gringotts.

Reactions: belloq87
I think the fact that UoE's ride system is the "traveling theater" it was intended to be a screen-based attraction.

Compared to something like Horizons where a major scene is entirely screen based but the rest of the ride isn't about the screens nor was it formatted/designed to be based around the screens.

Test Track uses projection effectively but has several physical sets, and it's built around the loop at the end (and the ride system really.) Similar to UoE, Kong was built around a projection system.

Spiderman uses screens, but still has a lot going on otherwise. It's the closest to the line of being either/or in terms of defining it. I'd place Transformers and Gringotts on the "screen ride" side of the argument because they don't have as many physical sets and other things going on effects-wise as Spiderman.

Most people would never say World of Motion was a screen-based-attraction, it's firmly considered a classic omnimover dark ride. However, it had the speed rooms and those were - again like Horizons - entirely screen based scenes.

Reactions: Nick
Totally disagree, too many AAs and physical sets. The screens bookend the ride and are part of the experience, not THE experience. I don't know how TT is screen based, though. It's not like Gringotts.
The screens are THE experience. Have you rode this ride? lol. The AA portion of the ride advances no story or plot. In fact if it didn't exist the ride story would be exactly the same. Without the screens in UoE you would literally have no story at all. They are the method of telling the story, therefore they are the attraction. Everything else is filler.

BUT, now back to Pandora!!!

Here's something to get us back on topic:

Pandora11252016-1.jpg

Small detail here, but Resources Development Administration (RDA) logo from the movie has been added to the side of the bridge:
PandoraBridge-11282016-11.jpg

Last edited:
That blue lighting looks like there's a leak in the reactor room!
That pictured is a long exposure pic so it's certainly not what the naked eye would see. Blog Mickey did post a separate picture that is more in-line with what the naked eye would see:

Pandora11252016-2.jpg

The light is being displayed from these long LED light bars:

PandoraBridge-11282016-10.jpg

Reactions: Joel and Porkchop
Something I absolutely adore, and always will, and it all started from EPCOT with the sidewalk being infused with them outside of innovations....but I LOVE Fiber optic lights!

I own pumpkins for Halloween, and trees for Christmas with multi colored fiber optics, and I can just lay on my couch and watch them glow. LOVE it. Can't wait for this aspect of this land! Going to be great.

Reactions: Nick and twebber55
How did he notice that RDA logo? What a weird spot to look at.

They same reason we noticed every little detail of Over The Wall Kong pics...when you are being shut out of inside knowledge you look for clues in every picture you can find

I find the lighting one of the most interesting parts of this expansion

Reactions: Nick and twebber55
They same reason we noticed every little detail of Over The Wall Kong pics...when you are being shut out of inside knowledge you look for clues in every picture you can find

I find the lighting one of the most interesting parts of this expansion
I hope the lighting will be fantastic because part of what made Avatar so stunning visually was the bio-luminescence of the Jungle in Pandora.

Reactions: rioriz
The screens are THE experience. Have you rode this ride? lol. The AA portion of the ride advances no story or plot. In fact if it didn't exist the ride story would be exactly the same. Without the screens in UoE you would literally have no story at all. They are the method of telling the story, therefore they are the attraction. Everything else is filler.

BUT, now back to Pandora!!!
Simmer down. The physical set portion is what the screens set up. It would be just another EPCOT film without it. But it does have it, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.