Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, you're arguing against the history of theme parks in Orlando. You're positing that "walk around a land at night, skipping the rides because they have 3 hour waits" is more compelling than "see a nighttime spectacular with your favorite Jungle Book characters and songs." Even Hogwarts can't sell the "come back at night" spiel, and even a relevant Jungle Book show couldn't pull nighttime crowds to DAK. Joe from Jersey wants rides or fireworks, not to walk around fake trees.
3 of 4 WDW parks can pull off staying open to or past what DAK wants to stay open until (9-10pm) and one of those three parks only has 5 rides and is a complete disaster. Yet people still go to DHS at night bc of SW fireworks and Fantasmic.

DAK is the only WDW park that has not pulled it's weight into the night throughout it's history.

I love that at the end of the Ubisoft game commercial, it says "All footage comes from the movie, NOT gameplay" :doh:
Did you expect them to have animated the game already? That video was purely for announcement purposes. Anyone who has ever seen the movie could've told you that was movie footage.

3 of 4 WDW parks can pull off staying open to or past what DAK wants to stay open until (9-10pm) and one of those three parks only has 5 rides and is a complete disaster. Yet people still go to DHS at night bc of SW fireworks and Fantasmic.

DAK is the only WDW park that has not pulled it's weight into the night throughout it's history.

Checked a couple dates early Summer and DAK is the park opened latest. Looks like they're forcing people into DAK at night, with even MK having 9pm closures on Saturday nights.

I thought the AA was very impressive, my gf thought it was creepy as hell. I do think it's weird that they have no shot of the banshee vehicle (even if it was just extreme closeup teaser style).

Before Blackfish, SeaWorld had a decent fight in the market. There was a time where you would devote a weekend to a Disney trip - or a combo SW/UO trip. Potter changed that. Either way, they still are an excellent gauge to help see what's going on at other parks.

Exactly.

Blackfish hit SeaWorld at a critical time. When Disney and Universal are out buying IPs and delivering big with Avatar and HP, SeaWorld don't have the money to buy up IPs and even if they did, would that IP want to be attached to a risky brand like SeaWorld?

Blackfish hit SeaWorld at a critical time. When Disney and Universal are out buying IPs and delivering big with Avatar and HP, SeaWorld don't have the money to buy up IPs and even if they did, would that IP want to be attached to a risky brand like SeaWorld?
Blackstone had the money, but at that time they were doing what comes naturally to investment firms, namely sucking the profits out of all the Sea World/Busch Garden parks, not just Orlando. They missed the boat and then Blackfish came out and sent another torpedo into them. By then it was too late.

seeing the trailer for that video game really hit home just how out of date and irrelevant this IP is. Why make a game now?

that's a big gamble. Sequels long after the fact rarely spark as much interest. Which is the reason the Marvel and now Star Wars films are being released back to back. Avatar has almost no nostalgia factor either, unlike say Star Wars does.

that's a big gamble. Sequels long after the fact rarely spark as much interest. Which is the reason the Marvel and now Star Wars films are being released back to back. Avatar has almost no nostalgia factor either, unlike say Star Wars does.

It certainly is. If anybody can do it, I'd say James Cameron can. He did make the best sequel of all time after all (T2) For a film that's meant to be released in Dec 2018, it hasn't started filming yet.

i disagree
the cirque show Toruk is one of the top grossing tours of the year and THE top cirque show

It certainly is. If anybody can do it, I'd say James Cameron can. He did make the best sequel of all time after all (T2) For a film that's meant to be released in Dec 2018, it hasn't started filming yet.
I think one thing we need to take into consideration on why Avatar as a franchise may succeed/fail is the curiosity factor.

For example, a ton of people ask "Why is Avatar is still relevant?" when seeing Pandora ads. Now there's a video game. There was a Cirque show last year. Avatar 2 is currently slated for next year. It will have been 9 years of people hearing about a "mythical" Avatar sequel next year.

So when it finally hits and the reviews are coming in ("Cameron does it again"), the human curiosity factor plays in and naturally people want to see what the fuss is about.

I think one thing we need to take into consideration on why Avatar as a franchise may succeed is the curiosity factor.

For example, a ton of people ask "Why is Avatar is still relevant?" when seeing Pandora adds. Now there's a video game. There was a Cirque show last year. Avatar 2 is currently slated for next year. It will have been 9 years of people hearing about a "mythical" Avatar sequel next year.

So when it finally hits, the reviews are coming in ("Cameron does it again"), the human curiosity factor plays in and naturally people want to see what the fuss is about.

The really interesting part is what if the first sequel turns out to be an incredible film, way better than every expectation? Disney then have an established land based on a current popular IP, the first in a long time for Disney (Frozen Ever After opened 3 years after the film) and then they can ride the hype train all the way through the other sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.