Pandora: World of Avatar Photos, Videos, & Reviews | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: World of Avatar Photos, Videos, & Reviews

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I cannot wait until I get to go back! I really hope they do soft openings next week before the grand opening so I can get some more time in the land before the masses of crowds are unleashed into the land for good!

Everywhere you look there's something new to take in. We almost missed these squirting creatures, but happen to catch them as we were leaving the area:

IMG_5388b.jpg

IMG_5379b.jpg

I just have to add a note on Flight Of Passage. When they say move all the way forward, that doesn't fully explain it well enough. Especially for taller people. Went with two friends and they were both told they couldn't ride after being told to move forward. I was almost the third. When they told me to 'move all the way forward' I said 'my chest is already on the cushion' to which they replied 'no, your feet'. Even though I was all the way forward, I needed to get in an almost cannonball type position for my size then *click*. I almost feel that at least 1 of my friends could have stayed if they were more specific on foot placement. Hopefully they direct people better and get a sample chair outside ASAP. Would hate to be the castmember that has to deal with guests that waited hours and hours being told they can't ride.

I just have to add a note on Flight Of Passage. When they say move all the way forward, that doesn't fully explain it well enough. Especially for taller people. Went with two friends and they were both told they couldn't ride after being told to move forward. I was almost the third. When they told me to 'move all the way forward' I said 'my chest is already on the cushion' to which they replied 'no, your feet'. Even though I was all the way forward, I needed to get in an almost cannonball type position for my size then *click*. I almost feel that at least 1 of my friends could have stayed if they were more specific on foot placement. Hopefully they direct people better and get a sample chair outside ASAP. Would hate to be the castmember that has to deal with guests that waited hours and hours being told they can't ride.
The way some guests are becoming outraged upon leaving, and rightly so in many cases, I worry Cast Members will get hurt. I've heard a lot of stories of angry guests throwing things and storming out screaming.

My girlfriend was almost told to leave and she's smaller than me. She just didn't have her feet all the way forward. I knew what to do already so I was fine, but she had to try twice before it clicked. And I'm the larger and taller one in my group. So, yes. They definitely need to explain that more accurately.

Hopefully the rumors are true and they are working on changes for the leg restraints to accommodate more size legs too. This is just a safety feature to keep people from getting their legs cut off when the platform raises and lowers, we're not going into space here. I'm sure it can be expanded a teensy bit more.

Forbidden Journey rejects about 100 people a day on the belt and after 2 test seat locations and aggressive CMs who are trained to put any and all people in the test seat if they suspect they won't fit.

Still about 100 a day make it on the belt and then don't fit.

100 is a way lower per day number than what I've been hearing for FOP, plus FJ has special seats to help accommodate more. They have to adjustments to make here

Had the opportunity to check out Pandora: World of Avatar yesterday and figured I'd share a quick review, some comparisons, and overall thoughts about this amazing expansion at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Gonna break the review down by category and give it 1 to 5 score with 5 being the highest. Also want to reiterate this review isn't complete and will surely evolve over time just like with any other land or ride that opens. Also trying to make sure I don't let the "newness" of it affect my review which I think many including myself have been guilty of before with new attractions. Just cause its new, doesn't mean its good. Jimmy Fallon I'm looking at you. Anyways categories, LETS GO!!

The Theming
From the moment you make your light year journey (crossing an open bridge #Lame) from Animal Kingdom to the Valley of Mo'ara you immediately realize your in a foreign environment. The alien plant life is beautiful and extremely well done. It doesn't appear like anything in Pandora is fake. The entire area looks like its been here for centuries. Its such an organic and beautiful landscape its really hard to describe how realistic and breathtaking it is. I mean they nailed it when it comes to theme authenticity and realism. Did I say how real everything looked? The water features add a great kinetic energy to the land thats also very natural and authentic to the story of Pandora. No matter where you walk in Pandora you will hard pressed to find anything that breaks the theme and story. There are no show buildings to see, no thunderous rollercoasters to ruin the ambiance, no unthemed elements that even for a split second take you out of the story they're portraying. In terms of theming its darn near flawless. Which leads me to my one gripe, the floating mountains. Listen no one was envious of WDI for having to create floating mountains but there were a few of the smaller ones that did appear forced. In all reality though you really gotta be digging to find these and I mean you can't give them crap about it, They're floating mountains lol. Overall IMO Pandora is the most authentic and natural theme park land / attraction ever created. Score 5 out of 5

The Rides
If you were to ask me about 6 months ago about the rides on Pandora I would of told you I was more excited for Na'vi River Journey than Flight of Passage without hesitation. Not knocking FOP but I at the time was expecting nothing more than Soarin over Pandora. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and media reviews started pouring in and the Na'vi River Journey through the eyes of lens looked lazy and uninspired and quickly dropped from my list of anticipation to my list of well... I have to do it at least once. My point being walking into Pandora, the rides weren't something I was racing to experience they were just something that I was going to do while exploring the land. At the end of my journey to Pandora I realized I had made a huge error.

The Na'vi River Journey is a wonderful family friendly journey through the environment of Pandora. The entire time I was on the ride i was amazed by the amount of detail they put into it. Some of the tech they use you really have to ride it multiple times to even see it let alone actually sit back and appreciate it. For example there are multiple scenes that are layered extremely well. For example you see a scene in the foreground and it has a creature just chilling out. Then behind that there is another insect crawling around. Then beyond that its moving plant life, then beyond that animals in the trees, and then beyond that Na'vi swinging from the tree's all with seamless execution and interaction. The other thing I noticed about this ride during the 4 spins we took on it was how well Disney did with blending scenes with live sets. Also Disney has mastered projection mapping technology and how to use it within their attractions. Some of the projection mapping tech within this ride is so good I thought a few things were actually AA's crawling around. Finally the best AA I've ever seen is also on this ride and yes by now many have seen the videos of it but to see it in person is nothing short of jaw dropping. Its fluid movements are one thing but I don't think enough people are appreciating its facial expressions and ultra realism. The AA is flawless and even if they did build the ride around it, at least they built around one of the greatest theme park achievements we've ever seen.

Flight of Passage was something I wasn't sure what to expect. I mean I was expecting Soarin 2.0 so I wasn't expecting that much but at the same time I was expecting quite a bit because its the main attraction of a billion dollar land. What I ended up getting was indeed Soarin 2.0 and I couldn't be any happier about it. First off the queue was an attraction in itself that from what I'm told is capable of holding a 6 hour queue at 100% capacity. The queue starts outside giving you some of the most amazing views of Pandora you'll find before entering into the floating mountains themselves. Once inside the caves of these goliath mountains you begin your journey through former military sites, into glowing forests, through laboratories and into the linking chambers themselves. The queue is filled with amazing easter eggs, one of the most amazing AA's your ever gonna see outside of the Na'vi River Journey, and loads upon loads of heavily themed rooms that prepare you for one of the most realistic and intimate pre shows to date. The preshow does drag a bit but I could see that being addressed down the road once they resolve some of the loading issues they're having. Yes the loading process is a bit of stretch for most that lack basic intelligence. I was able to easily... VERY easily get into my chair, slide forward, and allow the back and leg restraints engage without issue. In fact everyone in our group did it easily while we waited for almost ten minutes for others to figure it out. There will be issues for some that have large dimensions but to me it seemed to be just fine. I had plenty of room and had play in the restraint and never felt squished like I do on FJ, Gringotts, and Manta. If your nervous about whether or not your gonna fit just remember to slide all the way forward and stay there until the restraints lock, you'll be fine. The ride itself features some of the greatest simulation ever done on a theme park ride. The reviews of "it really feels like your flying at points" are extremely accurate. There were numerous times where I couldn't help but say wee followed by giddy laughter. Its extremely fun and at points are a little intense which is a welcome feeling to a simulator. Couple things that really stood out to me on my lone voyage. I was sitting on the bottom left of the entire theater and never at one time did I feel like I was off in the corner. It wasn't until near the end when I looked over and noticed where i was positioned. This in itself is a huge win!! Another thing I noticed was the incredible media quality. Disney has always played second fiddle to Universals ARMY of media based attractions but FOP may have the best media quality for a media based attraction ever. The wind was an amazing feeling. The breathing of the banshee while riding is an amazing touch and finally... YES FINALLY we have a ride that actually uses water effects without getting it in my glasses or making my clothes wet while still achieving the effect. One thing that also stood out to me was the complete lack of any dialogue. Its not a bad thing at all, and it follows the story perfectly much like this entire land does.

Pandora offers two incredible attractions that are must rerides and also offer something for everyone. From the thrill seekers to one year olds Pandora delivers powerful story based rides that follow the cohesive theme spread throughout the world of Pandora. Score 5 out of 5

Part 2 Down Below
Amazing review!

Just one question. I know they're very different and hard to compare, but if they were both one hour waits (and in the same park) would you get in line for Radiator Springs Racers or Flight of Passage?

So I've still got a bunch of photos on my phone from the last preview.

Should I upload them somewhere and post them? Or is all that pretty much covered elsewhere on the web?

I'm probably going to hold on to them just as a reference if things are changed in the future - but if there's no interest in seeing them now I don't want to go through the hassle of uploading and hosting them.

Reactions: Mad Dog
So I've still got a bunch of photos on my phone from the last preview.

Should I upload them somewhere and post them? Or is all that pretty much covered elsewhere on the web?

I'm probably going to hold on to them just as a reference if things are changed in the future - but if there's no interest in seeing them now I don't want to go through the hassle of uploading and hosting them.
We love pictures Can't get enough of them. And most people on this Forum don't read Magic and the other Disney sites anyway. Please post them. :):thumbsup:

So I got to go to AP previews on the 13th and finally have some time to give my thoughts on Pandora. Overall, this was not a disappointment in the least and the dynamic duo of Rhode/Cameron turned out an amazing visual feast of a theme park experience. We finally have a land in Florida with elevation changes and that alone excited me to no end! I could spend an hour just walking around the FoP queue and love every minute of it. This land is the closest to what Tokyo Disney Sea gives in terms of jaw droppingly detailed, massive scale theming.

Navi River was beautiful and the AA did not disappoint. My wife swore the shaman had her eyes locked on her since we were the only ones in our boat and we read later that apparently she's programmed to do just that! FoP was a smooth process since we were some of the first few people waiting in line that morning and got the FP return time immediately upon entering. I was worried about not fitting since I'm 6'5" and about 250lbs so I did as suggested here and buried my chest, knees and feet as deeply as I could into the restraint system as soon as I sat down. After a bit, I felt the back restraint lock in but it didn't feel like the leg restraints had gone up. Before I knew it the ride began. Turns out I had plenty of room in between my calves and the restraints so I spent more than the first half of the ride not feeling them at all!

So something to keep in mind is that once the ride starts, you can ease your legs back so you feel the restraints touching them. Since they play a major part in the ride, you don't want to make that same mistake that I did. Overall I really enjoyed the ride and it definitely is the evolutionary result of BttF, Star Tours and Soarin in terms of a next-gen simulator. We were seated on the top left and I looked over a couple of times to see the entire theater which definitely broke the illusion a bit. Although you don't have the bending horizon effect like in Soarin, I think seating is still an important factor on FoP so you really want to be in the middle sections for the best possible experience.

The food and drinks that we tried were all excellent. I know there was some discussion of the beers so I'll tell you my thoughts. I had the Moara High Country Ale since they said it was closer to an IPA and I definitely enjoyed it! It tasted like a pretty basic pale ale but I enjoy most Terrapin beers and it had that extra level of taste that you get with a good craft brewer. The green beer is most likely a wheat beer so I skipped it, but maybe another beer aficionado here can compare the two and report back.

In summary, WDW's first new land in nearly 20 years was worth the wait. I'm dying to go back at night to see what Pandora can really do!

For those who like pictures, here's my photo album from the preview: Prime Photos

So.. Navi River Journey..

Queue Gallery:

And On-ride Gallery (iphone photos of it suck, sorry)

An my points of interest to discuss..

The extended queue!

A really unsafe bridge!

The walls of the loading area.. which make no sense to me.. cuz if it's rock/stone for a cave why do you need fabric panels and supports like that..? And no lie, it's kinda ugly.

The plot!

Ok. A quick look at food merch..

They all said it couldnt be done, they all laughed me (maybe it was the tutu) but i got DOUBLE SLAW - no chips - with my Burger Pod.

And then i found these yummies..

Mmm... vein pod, those'll sell well. :ack:

And these totally looked really cool in the store.. and then i got home and read the Pandora field guie and realized they're grubs and are the primary protein souce of the Navi.

Ok, these took forever to upload, but here they are - the Flight of Passage Queue!

Exterior:

Caves:

RDA section:

And the ACE Labs:

Items of interest (at least to me)!

Seed pods!

Blue leaves! (no idea how they intend to make those last more than a few weeks)

And Bats!

I didn't realize until i noticed the name on the frame that they're essentially just reusing RDA's infrastructure:

Ok, these took forever to upload, but here they are - the Flight of Passage Queue!

Exterior:

Caves:

RDA section:

And the ACE Labs:

Items of interest (at least to me)!

Seed pods!

Blue leaves! (no idea how they intend to make those last more than a few weeks)

And Bats!

I didn't realize until i noticed the name on the frame that they're essentially just reusing RDA's infrastructure:

From the photos I like the caves queue best. Probably just the Neanderthal in me coming out. :)