Pandora: World of Avatar Photos, Videos, & Reviews | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: World of Avatar Photos, Videos, & Reviews

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's been a busy/crazy week, but I finally got my full review and photo report up: Pandora – The World of Avatar – Full Review & Photo Report – Orlando ParkStop

I've already summarized my thoughts here, but if you're interested in reading many words and seeing many pics give it a look. There's lots of pics of merch in Windtraders in it too.

And I really cannot wait to go back. Been dreaming of trying more foods and drinks, especially breakfast at Satu'li!

Here's my take as someone who has never seen Avatar and still has no desire to see it after exploring the land.

If you're a skeptic of the claims that Flight is the best ride in Orlando, my advice is to keep your expectations low. I know I was wishing for more, but it’s Soarin’ 2.0, plain and simple. The diehard fans may dispute that, but I guarantee that’s the way average guests will describe it: “It’s like Soarin’ with 3D.”

The Flight queue is well done but overhyped. It’s got elements of the woodsy E.T. queue with additional black light painting. Nice atmosphere, but not much else in this part. This area is quite static; adding animatronics of some sort to the forest area would have given this section more interest.

The lab section is surprisingly compact; there are basically two (maybe three) displays in here. I really expected this to be a more sprawling area. The upper story of the room is hardly themed; this diminishes the feeling of a real work space. UC did such a good job making Diagon feel like a place that had depth (the scene over the ordering area in the Leaky Cauldron, e.g.). I never sensed that spatial depth anywhere in this land., most especially in this room where something like that would have added more mystery.

The preshows are dry and already tiresome by the second ride. If you like rolling your eyes at the fake Avatar language, you're gonna love the preshows. If Disney wants to push the envelope, they should figure out a way to improve on the staging areas in their E-ticket attractions. There's so little effort in these two rooms that it's mindboggling. Think how effectively and creatively Tower sets the mood with the library preshow. There's nothing like that here. Hands down, the two Gringott preshows are more impressive than these.

The loading process is the most tedious of any E-ticket in Orlando. It makes Mission: Space's loading look like poetry in motion. The ride vehicles aren’t terribly comfortable while you wait for the restraints to move into place, and the glasses aren’t a snug fit making it feel like they could fly off during the ride.

The 3D is fine, but to my eyes it doesn’t look better than the 3D in Gringotts. In fact, in motion, the 3D of FoP had noticeable blur. I think the 3D in Star Tours looks as good as (maybe better than) the 3D in FoP.

The ride motion is fun, but it’s not intense. Nothing like the drops on Tower. I get why we don’t see the winged critter's head/neck in front during the film (it would look odd to have a row of those things side by side), but this also takes away from the experience. At least with the hang-gliding conceit, you believe that the glider is above you. They make this big to-do about the creature being important in the ecosystem, connecting with it, blah blah blah, and then you never sense that you're riding the thing.

It would’ve been a maintenance nightmare, but it’s really too bad they couldn’t figure out a way to add the creature to the ride vehicle. The row of vehicles also lack any kind of grandeur. If you're aiming for something cinematic or dramatic, this is just not an ideal way to start an E-ticket.

I guess I’d rate the whole experience a B, maybe lower if I had to wait more than 45 minutes. It’s certainly not worth a 2- or 3-hour wait, which it’ll probably maintain for this summer. I would take a dozen WDW attractions and at least a half dozen Universal attractions over it. I’m curious what average guests will think of it, because in many ways, I thought the ride itself was the most disappointing part of the entire land.

The food was good, probably the best part of the land all things considered. The blueberry dessert was nice. The fried tofu bowl was pretty good, or at least unique for a theme park.

I actually think the land looks better in photographs than in person. As someone who has no interest in Avatar, I thought it just looked like DAK-ish rockwork. In person, the mountains don't remotely look like they're floating. You approach the land at a weird angle, which doesn't provide for a scripted dramatic reveal, either. I'm sure Rohde would claim that's by design, but you know, I think theme parks work best when they realize they're designed as controlled environments to dramatically manipulate the guests' perceptions. There's no dramatic focal point like Hogwarts or the dragon on Gringotts or the Splash Mountain flume to draw you in. I walked into the land and actually forgot there was supposed to be a dramatic reveal, because all the greenery waterfally rocky stuff just blends together.

Final thought. Nothing in the land has the heart and charm of the Hogwarts Express. Perhaps that's a result of the movie property not having much warmth. But judged strictly on what's in the land, it feels like a very odd, unemotional place to find at WDW. Sort of like a deserted civilization where all the indigenous people have died off or otherwise disappeared. Post-apocalyptic nature park, if you will. Not exactly a place I'm eager to spend a lot of time.

I'm left wondering what lessons Disney has learned from Potter (is it that they think people are willing to buy embarrassing Avatar merch?), because overall, this feels like a land that learned all the wrong lessons from the two Potter lands.

Long story short, Diagon remains the best land/experience in Orlando by a comfortable distance. Pandora doesn't come close.

Thanks I appreciate the Diagon ally review.

Reactions: glendroid
It's been a busy/crazy week, but I finally got my full review and photo report up: Pandora – The World of Avatar – Full Review & Photo Report – Orlando ParkStop

I've already summarized my thoughts here, but if you're interested in reading many words and seeing many pics give it a look. There's lots of pics of merch in Windtraders in it too.

And I really cannot wait to go back. Been dreaming of trying more foods and drinks, especially breakfast at Satu'li!
Yes, I read your entire review. Nice job. Your views of attractions are generally pretty close to mine, and you don't do unnecessary nitpicking like some others do, so I always hold a lot of value in what you say. I think I will enjoy this land a lot, since I enjoy sitting and looking at the beautiful place mats that Rhode creates throughout Animal Kingdom. And the rides look enjoyable. The only thing I see lacking is the multitude of things for the GP to do, as Hogsmeade & Diagon do so well, while immersing you in the Potter world. But, I just keep thinking that the GP will treat the area outside of the attractions, once the novelty wears off, the same way they do New Fantasy Land, namely walking by quickly instead of stopping and smelling the roses of a beautiful area. People like you and me may well linger and enjoy the ambience of the land, but I can see the GP do as they do with the rest of the beautiful areas of AK, and hurry to ride the attractions. That's the area I see Pandora not equal to Diagon or Hogsmeade. As I've said before, I think Star Wars Land will be more like Diagon/Hogsmeade, and have a myriad of things to do & places to visit. The Kevin Yee review really touches on that lack in Pandora pretty well.

Reactions: Alicia
Yes, I read your entire review. Nice job. Your views of attractions are generally pretty close to mine, and you don't do unnecessary nitpicking like some others do, so I always hold a lot of value in what you say. I think I will enjoy this land a lot, since I enjoy sitting and looking at the beautiful place mats that Rhode creates throughout Animal Kingdom. And the rides look enjoyable. The only thing I see lacking is the multitude of things for the GP to do, as Hogsmeade & Diagon do so well, while immersing you in the Potter world. But, I just keep thinking that the GP will treat the area outside of the attractions, once the novelty wears off, the same way they do New Fantasy Land, namely walking by quickly instead of stopping and smelling the roses of a beautiful area. People like you and me may well linger and enjoy the ambience of the land, but I can see the GP do as they do with the rest of the beautiful areas of AK, and hurry to ride the attractions. That's the area I see Pandora not equal to Diagon or Hogsmeade. As I've said before, I think Star Wars Land will be more like Diagon/Hogsmeade, and have a myriad of things to do & places to visit. The Kevin Yee review really touches on that lack in Pandora pretty well.
Just last week I was commenting to my girlfriend as we walked through New Fantasyland about how much I love the area. She said they need to remove the extra castle walls behind the carousel so more people can walk through without it feeling cramped. I went on a 10 minute diatribe about how important the new castle walls are for story telling purposes and keeping the beauty of the new land intact. The walls represent the end of Cinderella's kingdom, and by walking through them we are entering a forest filled with new adventures. It's as important as the bridge to Adventureland or Tomorrowland as a distinct way of separating different themes and stories... Yea, well, it's annoying and is blocking the path she reiterates. She's not wrong, but it's things like those castle walls that I revel in when visiting the parks. She sees obstructive blockades, but I see masterful storytelling.

EDIT: And thank you for the kind words, my review took somewhat of a backseat this week so it felt a little rushed. I have been writing articles for another website and had to submit my Pandora article to them first.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Just last week I was commenting to my girlfriend as we walked through New Fantasyland about how much I love the area. She said they need to remove the extra castle walls behind the carousel so more people can walk through without it feeling cramped. I went on a 10 minute diatribe about how important the new castle walls are for story telling purposes and keeping the beauty of the new land intact. The walls represent the end of Cinderella's kingdom, and by walking through them we are entering a forest filled with new adventures. It's as important as the bridge to Adventureland or Tomorrowland as a distinct way of separating different themes and stories... Yea, well, it's annoying and is blocking the path she reiterates. She's not wrong, but it's things like those castle walls that I revel in when visiting the parks. She sees obstructive blockades, but I see masterful storytelling.

EDIT: And thank you for the kind words, my review took somewhat of a backseat this week so it felt a little rushed. I have been writing articles for another website and had to submit my Pandora article to them first.
NFL is absolutely beautiful but people will fill the old, not very attractive, Fantasyland shoulder to shoulder, but you can shoot cannonballs through the NFL paths and not hit anyone. And late in the day it's even worst, it's just about deserted back there. I think the same thing is going to happen with Pandora once the novelty wears off. Just like there is never anyone near the beautiful new boat dock area in Africa. They all hang around the restroom & rush to the Lion King show. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be.

Reactions: Andysol and Alicia
thats why i think its hard to compare DA to Pandora, they re just a lot different. If shopping is a big part of your vacation then i can see where someone could say there is not a lot to do. If you go into it to ride the rides and explore the land i think there is a ton to do. I said before i was there 3 hours and didnt see everything
having said that if you want a direct comparison between DA and Pandora i would say
rides are even
food is better in Pandora
Merch is better in DA
Themeing is even
i agree with Len Testa its all about what an individual likes a natural look vs an urban setting

all this is being talked about before anyone has seen the nighttime look of Pandora which im pretty confident will be pretty incredible

Reactions: Alicia and Mad Dog
thats why i think its hard to compare DA to Pandora, they re just a lot different. If shopping is a big part of your vacation then i can see where someone could say there is not a lot to do. If you go into it to ride the rides and explore the land i think there is a ton to do. I said before i was there 3 hours and didnt see everything
having said that if you want a direct comparison between DA and Pandora i would say
rides are even
food is better in Pandora
Merch is better in DA
Themeing is even
i agree with Len Testa its all about what an individual likes a natural look vs an urban setting

all this is being talked about before anyone has seen the nighttime look of Pandora which im pretty confident will be pretty incredible
We don't really shop much at Potter, but the stores, facades, alleyways & such are super interesting and provide us with numerous hours of exploring delight. Plus those three shows in Diagon are among the best anywhere. I really think SWL will be a better comparison to Diagon or Hogsmeade. I see the Disney people getting bored with the non attraction areas as is their history. Rides, rides rides are what they are about.....Yes, as you said, I think Len Testa probably hit it on that. But I don''t see anywhere near as many people that get interested in natural look as the urban setting. People like you, me & Alicia will spend time in the Pandora non attraction areas. The others will desert that once a year passes. I think they should have had the area a couple of more acres and put some sort of village in. That would have solved the problem.

Reactions: Alicia
I think the general consensus is that this WONT be as immersive as Potter. Largely due to Potter having enough source material to make two theme park lands, with 4 rides, a half a dozen retail shops, and it's own themed transportation between them.

I understand its easy to compare the two parks since it's the first big thing Disney has done in a while, but constantly comparing it seems like beating a dead horse to me. It's not a Potter size expansion. It never could be. I think Star Wars land will be a much more comparable project when it opens in 20 years.

Hey guys, thanks for the reviews and photos.

Please keep this for reviews, photos, and asking specific questions on reviews. We're starting to get into "general discussion" territory here.

Reactions: twebber55
I just got back from a weekend up in Orlando and was able to go to the Passholder preview on Thursday night. For the most part I echo what Andy had to say about the land. It was beautiful, the rides both exceeded my expectation and the food was good as well for the most part.

Land is very pretty and nice to just walk around and take in the sights. The mounting at no point give the illusion of floating and come off more like some rock arch you would find out in the midwest. They also just come off as awkward when juxtaposed with how they look in the ride video. I know its design limitations and meant more as a visual focal point but I would have been more happy with the rock arch gone and instead place the flouting mountains around the perimeter of the land where it could possible come off more effective while not blocking the exquisitely beautiful facade of the ride building. That is way more impressive and shouldn't have been as hidden as it is. Also the layout it a little weird with basically the first 75 percent of the land being all walking path, then the rides and the single store and restaurant crammed off in a corner that will be hell to navigate once there are crowds.

I enjoyed both rides, got to do FoP once and the River Journey 4 times. The river journey was a fun and relaxing experience that exceeded my expectations after people were railing on it. The screens were well blended into the environment and the projections on the log look real. The first screen with the panther things was the only screen that looked bad because you could see the individual layers of screens since I believe it was the biggest screen and the one you get the closes to. The animatronic was impressive and as you pass it you can see the stick going into its neck that controls most of the upper body movement, which I found neat. The only part of the ride that felt super cheat was the orange spinny things because they were just mounted on white fans that you could clearly see from the boat... why not go black so at least it blends in. It's short but I wished it was another 2-3 mins longer as it was enjoyable for what it is. I wouldn't wait more than 15 mins for this though.

Flight of Passage was what I was looking forward to once I peeked at part of that video showing the motion of the vehicles. Simply put, I was blown away by this ride. This is the most convincing simulator I have been on and was pure fun. I am not usually an audible person on rides, even roller coasters but I was squealing like a little girl at parts. About halfway though I started to get what I though was a headache but after I got out I realized it was muscle strain at the back of my jaw from grinning so much on this ride. I really wish there was ride video because I have gotten sore from smiling on a ride before but never to the degree that I did on this ride. I immediately wanted to ride again and will grab a FP for this ride whenever possible. Also this was the cleanest and most detailed ride video I have ever seen.

My friend an I went out with the food. We each got a bowl, split the burger pods and shared both deserts. The bowl was really good and something I would get again without hesitation. The pods were good but seem like a weaker value proposition as you only get 2 and they had way less filling that I was expecting. The chocolate cake thing was not good and had a fake sugar aftertaste and the "cheesecake" was better but nothing special. I'm more of an ice cream person so take that with a grain of salt.

Overall I think Disney did right for the most part with this land. Does it feel like it was the result of what the cost was rumored to be? No. But as a guest I am not going to concern myself with that as it pertains to the enjoyment of this land. It is up there with Diagon on quality but I cannon directly compare them as they have such different feels. As of right now I would place FoP as my 4th favorite ride in Orlando behind Spiderman, Tower of Terror, and Gringotts. Sunday I ended up going on Forbidden Journey and it it felt less intense now having FoP on my palate. I have never been a fan of the dome parts of FJ and it is now a snoozefest after FoP.

As a side question for anyone that knows, are both stacks of seats powered by one huge motor or is each one have its own motor? After being on this thing and with how nimble the vertical motion is, I can easily understand how these things are overheating.

Wow, seriously?? So negative...

Lol. You actually had me go back and check my post. It really is one of the best and I've ridden every ride in Universal Orlando and both Disneyland and World. The screen BLOWS Forbidden Jounrneys out of the water. I'd say FOP and Gringotts are very close in rating for me. The queue is amazing too.

I'll be riding it again tommrrow so let's see if anything changes. It could be the fact that it was just my first time.

Lol. You actually had me go back and check my post. It really is one of the best and I've ridden every ride in Universal Orlando and both Disneyland and World. The screen BLOWS Forbidden Jounrneys out of the water. I'd say FOP and Gringotts are very close in rating for me. The queue is amazing too.

I'll be riding it again tommrrow so let's see if anything changes. It could be the fact that it was just my first time.

My thoughts exactly.

I'd have to agree. Forbidden Journey in Hollywood is number one for me, just for the crispness of the screens, lighting, and added effects in the ride. Flight of Passage is easily number two.

I guess this is sort of a second review of mine now, let's call it more of an opening day overview though.

To start with, if you weren't in line to get into the park at 6am, had a FP+ or had EMH, you were pretty screwed. Wait times for both rides exceeded 3 hours, maxing out at 4.5 for FoP (at least while I was there until 2). I was with a friend who really wanted to see the land and I had only seen it in previews, so there was still plenty of new things I was seeing too. For one, the drum show in the drum circle was surprisingly good. I was unaware they were even going to be able to put on such a show there.

Satu'li Canteen didn't seem to have a terrible wait, but Pongu Pongu had at least a 15-20 minute wait all day, Windtraders wait got as high as 90 mins (and they weren't letting you in when you got off FoP). Oh, and about FoP - I didn't have a FP, meaning I waited far longer than one ever should for a theme park ride. The outside portion "hiking" up the mountain was actually nice to go slow... there's so many things to see. It's once you get into the cave that time starts to feel like it's going insanely slow. Also, for those annoyed at people who stop in line to take pics... that happens about 100 times in this queue (or at least feels like it).

Now was it worth waiting slightly over 3 hours for? No. I don't care how good a ride is, no ride is good enough to warrant such a wait. However, on opening day of a big land, there's an excitement in the air that you can feel and it's something that made me want to be a part of it. And of course over that time, I met a lot of fun people in line.

The real question is can this be sustained. It certainly won't sustain crowds like yesterday day in and day out and almost all of the people I talked to were either APs or they were on vacation but didn't book because of Avatar. Now will the positive word of mouth from the Flight of Passage ride make a difference? Maybe to a small extent people will take it in consideration, but I think as a whole yesterday was built on APs showing up in full force for the one-day only merch that they can sell on eBay.

This morning I rode in seat 1 on the top level, so basically where there would be maximum distortion. It was noticeable but not nearly as bad as soaring. The 2 big things is the slight morphing of shapes like trees and rocks as the perspective shifts and when turning is feels more like you are sliding sideways. But this was the most extreme that I can be and didn't really distract too much.