Peacock (Streaming Service) | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

Peacock (Streaming Service)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This exactly. TLOU was nearly an EXACT copy of the game and the general public loved it.
I dont think they have to copy, but at least know the characters and general tone

castlevania for example doesn't follow the games story beats, but they put the effort in and made the world feel real and the tone and action matched what was in the games

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
After watching 100 Years Of Warner Bros. on Max, I'm really hoping Universal Studios does the same for its streaming service. Universal has a lot of great history to leverage with. It's a shame that Universal doesn't have enough popular, relevant IPs compared to Warner Bros. and Disney to justify such a documentary.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Grand Crew just got cancelled sadly. Very easy, funny, vibes sitcom binge if anyone needs a show. Nicole Byer was a major part of it. I love the show and sad it’s gone.

Twisted Metal first episode was fine. Not great, not awful. Will finish the season and see where it goes.

Twisted Metal first episode was fine. Not great, not awful. Will finish the season and see where it goes.
No way i'm watching this show weekly but i'll binge it. I don't have time for most shows these days anyway between work, and extracurricular summer activities, I spend my limited downtime at home playing video games now so unless it's a show getting rave reviews, i'm not likely to be watching a show weekly. Based on what is said about Secret Invasion, i'm not sure if I ever want to delve past the debut episode on that.

No way i'm watching this show weekly but i'll binge it. I don't have time for most shows these days anyway between work, and extracurricular summer activities, I spend my limited downtime at home playing video games now so unless it's a show getting rave reviews, i'm not likely to be watching a show weekly. Based on what is said about Secret Invasion, i'm not sure if I ever want to delve past the debut episode on that.
It’s all out currently, just only had time to watch the first episode.

Reactions: Nick
Wrapped up my viewing of Twisted Metal this weekend and as a franchise that was probably too instrumental in my childhood development, I absolutely adore the show.

The developers did an absurdly good job taking the massive, convoluted lore of the game series and created a vulgar but surprisingly heartfelt at times world full of delightfully vibrant, bombastic characters. Anthony Mackie is simply superb as main protagonist John Doe, channeling genre legend Bruce Campbell is his combination of aloof but charming, stupid but capable, brash but endearing brand of bravado. Stephanie Beatriz plays well as his main companion Quiet in a role that arcs well throughout the series. Thomas Haden Church plays a great cold main antagonist in Agent Stone, a hardened man of the law looking to bring order back to the chaos of the outlands. Then we get to the unashamed main attraction: Sweet Tooth. Easily the most iconic character of the franchise and one of my favorite fictional characters in general. Joe Seanoa as the body and Will Arnett as the voice do a show stealing double performance as the delightfully demented psycho clown killer. The main cast all do a really terrific job in their roles and even the supporting cast bring a lot. Mike Mitchell and Tahj Vaughans as Stu and Mike, childhood friends just trying to find their Shangri-La in the apocalypse, Neve Campbell as Raven, the mysterious leader of New San Francisco, Richard Cabral as Loud, Quiet's ill fated brother, and Jamie Neuman as Miranda Watts, a twister inducing member of the Convoy, are all highlights.

The story is a simple there and back mission that takes the main duo through the apocalyptic wastelands filled to the brim with cars, guns and plenty of blood thirsty characters. It never drags or dwells in one spot and each episode feels full. There are moments where the main will-they-or-won't-they dynamic between John and Quiet feels slightly overblown but they play off each other so well it doesn't bog the show down entirely nor does it ever maintain focus long enough before swiveling to the next danger. The show does a great job filling out most of its characters with history and memories to the point where even the villains become shades of grey. There are surprising moments of heartfelt joy, grueling sadness and poignant themes, a wild thing to say in a Twisted Metal feature. The humor doesn't always hit but it never feels ultra forced or annoying and I did chuckle quite a few times in every episode.

I may be deemed a madman but I would honestly put forth Twisted Metal as a bigger achievement than The Last of Us. Do not get me wrong, TLoU is a tremendously well executed adaptation. That said, TLoU the video game is a visually gorgeous, emotionally charged, narrative driven experience. So it's not exactly surprising to me that the live action version is... a visually gorgeous, emotionally charged, narrative driven experience. Twisted Metal is a multiple decade spanning, supremely schlocky series about a tournament of cars with guns bashing into each other. If The Last of Us is the most expensive, fancy, stinkiest smelling cheese you need to import from France, Twisted Metal is the nacho cheese you can buy in a 2 gallon jug for $6.99 at Walmart. TM has never been deep, thoughtful, powerful, thematic or story driven. Taking that ingredient and creating an inspired, fun, loud, colorful world that feels like Twisted Metal but isn't just cars with guns chasing each other for 10 episodes (though there is plenty of vehicular mayhem and it's pulled off quite well for what appears to be a smaller budget) is remarkable.

Twisted Metal isn't high art nor is it trying to be. It's a fun, enjoyable, breezy drive through the wild, bloody, carnage filled apocalypse in a car strapped to the nines with guns and homing missiles piloted by a surprisingly deep and interesting cast of characters. It would be an absolute shame if we didn't get a second season, especially with how the first ends but if this is all we get, I'll cherish this as a Twisted Metal fanboy from boyhood.

Finished Twisted Metal also. Really enjoyed it once it got going. Hoping they can get the second season.

I am really enjoying twisted metal despite the fact that anthony mackie has the charm and charisma of a pasty old man on the beach kicking sand in your potato salad.

cop girl from brooklyn 99 should be the main character. Samoa Joe as Sweet Tooth is fantastic, but I don't get bojack horseman doing the voice over for him, as much as i love him.

Also is anybody else annoyed with how bad the dubbing is in some cases?

cop girl from brooklyn 99 should be the main character.
Her name is Stephanie Beatriz...
Disgusted Season 6 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

These Twisted Metal endorsements are good to hear. I had honestly forgotten about it but now I think I’ll circle back around to it soon. Sounds like they were able to make it a fun time without getting too cheesy or relying on gimmicks.

These Twisted Metal endorsements are good to hear. I had honestly forgotten about it but now I think I’ll circle back around to it soon. Sounds like they were able to make it a fun time without getting too cheesy or relying on gimmicks.
Yeah it was a good first season setting up things. I honestly don’t remember anything from the games outside of Sweet Tooth, but the subreddit seems to think they did decent with lore.

It gets going after the first two episodes so don’t quit early.

Yeah it was a good first season setting up things. I honestly don’t remember anything from the games outside of Sweet Tooth, but the subreddit seems to think they did decent with lore.

It gets going after the first two episodes so don’t quit early.

Even as a somewhat in the know TM fan there's a plethora of Easter Eggs and homages. The fact alone that Harold makes an appearance is pretty damn amazing. And they've incoroprated things from almost every entry in the franchise, so that spreading of the love is really nice. In one flashback scene you can even see kids playing with RC cars, a possible nod to TM: Small Brawl.

Quick thoughts after binging this week:

Twisted Metal -- zero familiarity with the IP. Got into it toward the end of the first episode when I realized it was intentionally a comedy. Coasts by on Anthony Mackey's charm and Will Arnett's voice. Fun watch if you were on the fence.

Killing It -- season 2 may be even better than the spectacular season 1. Like the glory days of the Simpsons, have to rewind because you're laughing so hard you missed the next joke. Just a smart, dark satire of the current version of American capitalism/culture. Craig Robinson does a great job as usual anchoring everything, but a lot of his co-stars, particularly his Australian partner, steal every scene they're in. If you're not easily offended, definitely check it out.

If it was going to happen, I don't think they would've told the press before the ink was dry, much less said that it was just "spit-balling."