Possible Pirates Refurb | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Possible Pirates Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I am going to disagree, I think adding Jack Sparrow is future-proofing the ride, not ageing it (unless they decide to remake the movie).

Our generation knows that the ride came before the movie, but current and future generations will expect to see Jack Sparrow in the ride. They would be confused why he "wasn't" in the ride, if they took him out.

I never saw the fourth movie (or the third), but why are the Mermaids evil? Kinda funny that there is a Mermaid skeleton, as in general Mermaids are considered "friendly" creatures. Not evil ones.

From the mermaid Wiki page:
A mermaid is a legendary aquatic creature with the upper body of a woman and the tail of a fish.[1] Mermaids appear in the folklore of many cultures worldwide, including the Near East, Europe, and Asia. The first stories appeared in ancient Assyria, in which the goddess Atargatis transforms herself into a mermaid out of shame for accidentally killing her human lover. Mermaids are sometimes depicted as perilous creatures associated with floods, storms, shipwrecks, and drowning. In other folk traditions (or sometimes within the same tradition) they can be benevolent, bestowing boons or falling in love with humans.
You can see why pirates wouldn't be fond of Mermaids, even without knowing about the plots of movie 3 & 4.

The ride is essentially now a "Jack Sparrow Hide and Seek". Some people may like that, but personally, every other line of dialogue including the words "Captain Jack Sparrow" isn't my cup of tea. On top of that, the ham-fisted story they put in makes absolutely no sense what so ever. The Jack AAs also don't match the absurdist style of the rest of the attraction, and he sticks out like a sore thumb.

QFT. Guests may not realize it lacks coherence on a conscious level, but subconciously it hurts perception of the ride.

Yet to see the mermaids, may this afternoon on my way to grab a sweet Headless Horseman mug.

Oh, I know that Jack is big right now. But 20 years from now Jack will be the thing people say "WTH is all this about Jack Sparrow?" while the rest of the ride will still be a classic.

And, in 20 years, the new generation of WDI will go in and pull him out, and the new generation of the Parks Blog will laud the MAGICal cuts.

Went on it twice tonight, andddddd...... The effect was already down. Talked to some CM's and they said it was working earlier in the day but didn't know when it went out. Pretty pathetic that the effect is already hit or miss :bang:

IMHO I have no issue with them making changes to rides. Do people really think Disney parks can survive another 20-30 years without putting in some form of improvements / additions to what people see as being "Classic Rides"? If Disney don't want to do that then they have to ADD to the Park.

Magic Kingdom really is a true "childrens" park which is why I smile sometimes when I see people getting so heated about things like this. The place exists to put a smile on kids faces and if it isn't doing that because its dated then something needs to be done.

I'd rip the whole lot out and stick in an entirely new version of the attraction that combined elements from both the movies and the original ride into a ride with an original new story and utilize new technology. With what I have seen in other parks it could be something wonderfully epic!

IMHO I have no issue with them making changes to rides. Do people really think Disney parks can survive another 20-30 years without putting in some form of improvements / additions to what people see as being "Classic Rides"? If Disney don't want to do that then they have to ADD to the Park.

Magic Kingdom really is a true "childrens" park which is why I smile sometimes when I see people getting so heated about things like this. The place exists to put a smile on kids faces and if it isn't doing that because its dated then something needs to be done.

I'd rip the whole lot out and stick in an entirely new version of the attraction that combined elements from both the movies and the original ride into a ride with an original new story and utilize new technology. With what I have seen in other parks it could be something wonderfully epic!

A very limiting direction to take their flagship park. And the major reason I haven't been to the MK in 2 years and I live 10 miles from the place.

They may be changing "classics", but they're also making a higher quality classic for all the kids that will go and one day be on a board similar to this, or bring their kids back. And either way you look at it, Magic Kingdom is a kids park. The highest height requirement is 44 inches, and hardly any of their rides have a requirement. They may aim for a narrow demographic, but they're #1 visited in the world for a reason.

The Pirates of the Caribbean movies will still be popular in 20 years. By default Jack Sparrow will be too. There is NO WAY that the 5th highest grossing franchise of all time will just fall off a map and quit being popular some day.

The Pirates of the Caribbean movies will still be popular in 20 years. By default Jack Sparrow will be too. There is NO WAY that the 5th highest grossing franchise of all time will just fall off a map and quit being popular some day.

I'd very much disagree with that. None of them were particularly good movies after the first, and that doesn't bode well for the future.

I'd very much disagree with that. None of them were particularly good movies after the first, and that doesn't bode well for the future.

Say what you will about "quality" of the film but the highest grossing films of 2006 and 2007 aren't going to fall off the map. You go down the list of highest grossing annual films and all of them are still relevant in film studies and almost all of them are culturally relevant. When you hit 1967 every last one of those films is still culturally relevant.

I'm not necessarily pro-Jack. My only point is that the argument that "He'll be irrelevant in 20 years" is more than likely false.

Went on it twice tonight, andddddd...... The effect was already down. Talked to some CM's and they said it was working earlier in the day but didn't know when it went out. Pretty pathetic that the effect is already hit or miss :bang:

Pretty soon TDO will bill rides this like as having "multiple different experiences".

I actually enjoy when they add small new additions and IMO it does help the ride and does help the longevity of the ride. Anyone ever heard of the snow white ride? Maybe they should have added an AA Rumplestilskin figure, lol. (Once upon a time show reference) Years down the road will Peter Pan get the axe? I agree with whoever said the MK is based on attractions for kids, and even though us parents will get nostalgic and want to show our kids and our grandkids the "old school" MK the next generations won't be entertained or appreciate it, won't care about bringing their families with out some recent technology and relevance. So, I say of course don't drastically change a classic but updating some elements and additions is just fine.

They may be changing "classics", but they're also making a higher quality classic for all the kids that will go and one day be on a board similar to this, or bring their kids back. And either way you look at it, Magic Kingdom is a kids park. The highest height requirement is 44 inches, and hardly any of their rides have a requirement. They may aim for a narrow demographic, but they're #1 visited in the world for a reason.

The reason is location. WDW is in reach of Europe. That expands its audience. Disneyland which the MK was based on has only slightly less attendance and yet have a much lower audience range because it is so far away from other large countries. The thing is Disneyland attracts all age groups because it does what Walt said it should, by being a place where everyone can enjoy themselves. The MK doesn't do this so it really limits itself. It was never meant to be just a kids and parents park, it was meant to be a place where everyone could have fun together, but TDO changed all that.

I have no idea how people are getting this MK is just for kids idea, since it was a copy of Disneyland which clearly is not just a kids place.

There is a dead mermaid in the ride now as well. It dawned on me riding PotC today why they're adding mermaids... it's to sell mermaid dresses and facepaint to little girls via Pirates League.

The reason is location. WDW is in reach of Europe. That expands its audience. Disneyland which the MK was based on has only slightly less attendance and yet have a much lower audience range because it is so far away from other large countries. The thing is Disneyland attracts all age groups because it does what Walt said it should, by being a place where everyone can enjoy themselves. The MK doesn't do this so it really limits itself. It was never meant to be just a kids and parents park, it was meant to be a place where everyone could have fun together, but TDO changed all that.

I have no idea how people are getting this MK is just for kids idea, since it was a copy of Disneyland which clearly is not just a kids place.

I live in the UK and I guess like yourself going to Magic Kingdom, Universal Studios is seen as somewhat of a dream, especially when your younger simply because it is so far away and expensive but you kinda have to go at least once so you can say you have experienced it.

This is the problem, I have been 3 times now and you know what the experience was the same every time but the level of enjoyment has decreased every time because it never changes. I've been in 1995, 2009 and 2012 and nothing has changed (to a great degree). The rides while great a few times don't really have much to keep you coming back. The content of the rides has barely changed.

It feels to me that MK is simply relying on this "remember me" factor, you go because well you have flown 5000 miles you might as well. The new area they have added while it looks great is just another kids area. There is nothing for that childless adult to really do.

The emphasis is bring your kids, buy our pins and lanyards and leave.

It feels to me that MK is simply relying on this "remember me" factor, you go because well you have flown 5000 miles you might as well. The new area they have added while it looks great is just another kids area. There is nothing for that childless adult to really do.

The emphasis is bring your kids, buy our pins and lanyards and leave.

Nailed it!

Magic Kingdom is selling nostalgia. Universal, at the moment, is selling adventure. Nostalgia does sell, but it also limits its self, and with TDO trying to make the park more kid/adult oriented that nostalgia marketing is hurting.