Possible Pirates Refurb | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Possible Pirates Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Just to throw it out there, their screen projection alternates between Blackbeard and Davy Jones. Ours if I'm not mistaken is strictly Blackbeard.

Neat effect. I am glad that are still adding to the classic attractions. One thing I noticed about the Disney additions on the board is that people complain they never add anything but then they do and people still complain. Can't please everyone I guess :lol:

Neat effect. I am glad that are still adding to the classic attractions. One thing I noticed about the Disney additions on the board is that people complain they never add anything but then they do and people still complain. Can't please everyone I guess :lol:
People complain they don't add new rides and attractions worthy to be in a Disney park, not that they don't add things to old rides.

I guarantee you no one on any board ever thought that Pirates needed this.

Saw it yesterday and thought it was a neat effect. I really think that the mermaid song adds an even more haunted feeling to that part of the ride. It seem like there are three major scenes in one room which I like.

I guarantee you no one on any board ever thought that Pirates needed this.

Probably because no one on the board thought to add it. I feel like most people don't want to add to classic attractions like Pirates because of nostalgia. It is better that they are constantly adding to an attraction than just letting it be stagnant for years. It is still essentially the classic attraction that everyone remembers, but a few modern additions added in that I believe are for the better.

Probably because no one on the board thought to add it. I feel like most people don't want to add to classic attractions like Pirates because of nostalgia. It is better that they are constantly adding to an attraction than just letting it be stagnant for years. It is still essentially the classic attraction that everyone remembers, but a few modern additions added in that I believe are for the better.

Totally agree, I love the modern additions to the classic attractions.

I may be alone on this... but I would absolutely love it if there were actual physical mermaid head AAs in addition to the new effect. There is nothing creepier than underwater animatronics, especially ones indoors in relative darkness.

The current change seems cool, looking forward to (eventually) seeing it in person.

If that's true, then why are we clamoring for a true update to Space Mountain, FINALLY updating Carrousel of Progress, and getting JC that referb it desperately needs?

It's not that we didn't think of it, but WDI puts an inordinate amount of time and energy into 'pet projects' on their favorite attractions and not into even more outdated attractions. In the past 7 years Pirates has seen at least 3 new additions? HM has had a 3-4 also. That's nuts when the rest of the park is just falling behind.

Totally agree, I love the modern additions to the classic attractions.

I've said it once, I'll say it 1000 times, but nothing done to Pirates has helped it.

Seeing DLP's Pirates has only reinforced that feeling.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not that we didn't think of it, but WDI puts an inordinate amount of time and energy into 'pet projects' on their favorite attractions and not into even more outdated attractions. In the past 7 years Pirates has seen at least 3 new additions? HM has had a 3-4 also. That's nuts when the rest of the park is just falling behind.

Yup. WDI is desperate to put their mark over the classics where it doesn't belong.

I could go into how Pirates still has a 1970s sound system and stuff like that while they're adding these "changes" in, but it goes without saying.

Here's another look at the mermaid projection from @easywdw. (It's starts at 00:36)

[video=youtube;gTnKqjisIQQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTnKqjisIQQ[/video]

I've said it once, I'll say it 1000 times, but nothing done to Pirates has helped it.

Seeing DLP's Pirates has only reinforced that feeling.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. WDI is desperate to put their mark over the classics where it doesn't belong.

I could go into how Pirates still has a 1970s sound system and stuff like that while they're adding these "changes" in, but it goes without saying.

Preach.

Not all change is good. It has to be the right change.

I agree but honestly people shouldn't fight change so much. For example, I believe that the additions to current ride have made it seem more epic and adventerous, and in some places more creepy. The ride essentially is very cheesy and cartoony, the PotC movie additions help curb that. Yes, some changes are not the best but a lot of the time it is for the better. It may mess with people's childhood memories but it allows for the chance to build new ones.

Last edited:
You can fight all day about how it hasn't helped the ride, but in all honesty, none of the additions have hurt the ride experience in any way really. It's the same classic attraction, except there's just a few modern elements here and there.

(and now I wait for the argument that it HAS hurt the ride).

(and now I wait for the argument that it HAS hurt the ride).

You rang?

The ride is essentially now a "Jack Sparrow Hide and Seek". Some people may like that, but personally, every other line of dialogue including the words "Captain Jack Sparrow" isn't my cup of tea. On top of that, the ham-fisted story they put in makes absolutely no sense what so ever. The Jack AAs also don't match the absurdist style of the rest of the attraction, and he sticks out like a sore thumb.

Again, after riding DLP's Pirates, which is a complete, perfect, coherent experience, the Jack changes really do hurt the overall flow and point of the attraction.

You rang?

The ride is essentially now a "Jack Sparrow Hide and Seek". Some people may like that, but personally, every other line of dialogue including the words "Captain Jack Sparrow" isn't my cup of tea. On top of that, the ham-fisted story they put in makes absolutely no sense what so ever. The Jack AAs also don't match the absurdist style of the rest of the attraction, and he sticks out like a sore thumb.

Again, after riding DLP's Pirates, which is a complete, perfect, coherent experience, the Jack changes really do hurt the overall flow and point of the attraction.

While I agree with you, the average guest could care less about a "coherent experience." Seeing Jack Sparrow is a highlight for most in the attraction. It may not look nice and it may ruin the cohesiveness, but the AA's look real (really real at that) and get a plethora of "oohs" and "ahhhs."

Also, your "you rang" comment made me lol. :lol:

While I agree with you, the average guest could care less about a "coherent experience." Seeing Jack Sparrow is a highlight for most in the attraction. It may not look nice and it may ruin the cohesiveness, but the AA's look real (really real at that) and get a plethora of "oohs" and "ahhhs."

Also, your "you rang" comment made me lol. :lol:

Oh, I know that Jack is big right now. But 20 years from now Jack will be the thing people say "WTH is all this about Jack Sparrow?" while the rest of the ride will still be a classic.