Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

My understanding is there's always been some idea of a comedy based ride in development, prior to Tonight Show it was SNL. Seems like there's been plans for something NYC related in that area of the park. When I first heard of this project before Diagon opened it was "30 Rock", which turned out not to be the show but the exterior. Sounds like they went with Tonight Show based on ratings and Fallon's YouTube appeal.

If you skip to 2mins 50secs, he says he pitched the ride himself. This could be all show though:

Jimmy Fallon on How He Scored His Own Ride at Universal Orlando

Fallon pitched a ride but was just playing around with the idea. Comcast got serious when they noticed that Twister was lacking in both guest satisfaction, marketing and merchandise. They needed a replacement and since they own the Tonight Show... why not.

Fallon pitched a ride but was just playing around with the idea. Comcast got serious when they noticed that Twister was lacking in both guest satisfaction, marketing and merchandise. They needed a replacement and since they own the Tonight Show... why not.
And Universal fans will hate it, a win all around

I know, I'm saying what I've heard for awhile. Both his story and my understanding can be correct. :)

Sounds like convienant timing. Comcast get their ride and get to make one of their biggest stars feel good about themselves. It's a win win for both parties and the rides seems to be testing well which is the 3rd surprising win.

Sounds like convienant timing. Comcast get their ride and get to make one of their biggest stars feel good about themselves. It's a win win for both parties and the rides seems to be testing well which is the 3rd surprising win.

My internal logic is Universal has created a few comedy/NYC concepts (SNL, 30 Rock) after their purchase and had them on the back burner for a bit. Jimmy made his pitch and they were all "yo dude we got this thing called Diagon Alley, Volcano Bay, and Kong we're working on" then as projects were wrapping up and the infamous Comcast UC visit happened when they green lit a lot of things the NYC comedy show ride replacement project was green lit.

I could be wrong but it seems like a lot of good circumstances just happening.

What would happen if you come back at your return time, but the ride had issues and was closed/delayed for a period of time? Curious if everything would get pushed back or whatever. I know they have two theaters but worst case scenario.

My internal logic is Universal has created a few comedy/NYC concepts (SNL, 30 Rock) after their purchase and had them on the back burner for a bit. Jimmy made his pitch and they were all "yo dude we got this thing called Diagon Alley, Volcano Bay, and Kong we're working on" then as projects were wrapping up and the infamous Comcast UC visit happened when they green lit a lot of things the NYC comedy show ride replacement project was green lit.

I could be wrong but it seems like a lot of good circumstances just happening.
I remember talking about SNL in like 2008 in SS44

I think it's kind of a shame it didn't end up SNL. There's a lot more to draw on there.

Race Through New York.... what else has a bunch of locations in New York?

I almost definitely would enjoy an SNL ride more, but the question is do you do current cast (which would need to be periodically updated) or do you go with SNL all-time greats (which would cost more to hire the actors, but would be evergreen)?

For synergistic reasons probably current cast, but the current cast is always changing and hits on controversial topics, which is a big thing Comcast doesn't want to deal with.

Last edited:
Humor is very cultural depending. That's the reason that SNL is hardly shown outside the US. There are SNL shows developed in other countries but the success of these localised shows are varied. I for one couldn't care less about SNL. all I see is that screaming a line is considered funny, I think it's not.

Fallon is shown in a larger part of the world due to the famous guests. UC was smart not to only bid on the Fallon horse but also on New York. The smelly city, perpetually in it's own shadow, is for some reason recognised world wide (probably because it's blown up in many blockbuster movies). UC was smart to go this route and it's great synergy for NBC.

I would love anything SNL. It's been one of my absolute favorite shows for years. An interactive museum and experience, kinda like SNL: The Exhibition I did in New York, would be great. It'd also be another thematic win for the NY area of the park.

I almost definitely would enjoy an SNL ride more, but the question is do you do current cast (which would need to be periodically updated) or do you go with SNL all-time greats (which would cost more to hire the actors, but would be evergreen)?

For synergistic reasons probably current cast, but the current cast is always changing and hits on controversial topics, which is a big thing Comcast doesn't want to deal with.
I could easily envision an attraction that features a mix of current and classic cast. If they had gone with a similar Race Through New York simulator format, they could have even touted occasional ride updates like Disney has done with the new Star Tours, mixing in new popular cast members over time, maybe even randomizing it. And to avoid any controversial aspects, they could just go with some of the goofier gags over the years like Hans and Franz and Alec Baldwin's Schweddy Weiner.