Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm assuming the ride system is unable to orient itself in a hanging style from the description. Is that correct?

The description introduction on the company website is kind of awkward in that it basically seems to be suggesting to prospective customers that the more impressive hanging theater systems provided by other companies are unnecessary. I definitely feel like hanging versus traditional theater seating arrangements create different experiences.

Definitely disappointed that this doesn't seem to be the higher thrill version of Soarin' set in New York that was being suggested (on top of the disappointment of an attraction centered around Fallon). At the very least, a Soarin' like ride would have helped to differentiate the attraction a bit with Minion only 100ft away. A "neutron" style experience would almost completely kill my interest in the project.

Last edited:
Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Thats actually a great question. I dont see a problem with them doing it at the Studios but at islands, when they empty the water from Popeyes, the water drains into the lake.

I've always had this same thought. They could cut a bit off near Transformers, make the lagoon smaller, and it would actually be a win all around.

Right now the Lagoon is a weird shape for nighttime shows. If the reshaped it by filling part of it in, they could create a smaller lagoon which would allow for easier viewing of whatever show would run there.

Universal Studios shouldn't have a Lagoon. Just doesn't make logistical sense. Hopefully they do decide to make a smaller footprint with the lagoon or no lagoon at all at USF.

Lagoon at IOA does separate all of the islands with inlets but it does give it that feel of being in the middle of an adventure. IOA was designed that way. They are not surrounded by water completely, but Suess, Lost Continent, JP, Toon Lagoon, Marvel, Port of Entry all have water separation to some extent.

wow. Im glad it wasn't as dumb as a I thought.
I totally understand why IOA has it, but if they completely got rid of the lagoon at Studios then it would just be like MK or Hollywood Studios or something...

I know they have the night show and everything but there are so many conversations about space and they have so much land right in the middle.

I know the lagoon looks nice and is pleasing for guests (I am sure some people would get really angry if they took it out. But imagine having something really cool instead. a Stage in the middle or a building with a new ride or something.
kind of weird. Uni would rather try to expand than to make the lagoon smaller (or get rid of it)

Universal Studios shouldn't have a Lagoon. Just doesn't make logistical sense. Hopefully they do decide to make a smaller footprint with the lagoon or no lagoon at all at USF.

Lagoon at IOA does separate all of the islands with inlets but it does give it that feel of being in the middle of an adventure. IOA was designed that way. They are not surrounded by water completely, but Suess, Lost Continent, JP, Toon Lagoon, Marvel, Port of Entry all have water separation to some extent.
Every good park needs a decent sized body of water. For example, look at DHS. The only body of water in the whole park is pretty tiny, possibly going away, and the park sucks.

Water also helps keep the parks a tad bit cooler and add a tiny sense of realism to parks filled with fantasy.

Reactions: Ryno27
kind of weird. Uni would rather try to expand than to make the lagoon smaller (or get rid of it)
I don't think it's that weird. If they have to they'll fill it in, but it will be incredibly expensive to do so. Wjy spend all that money now when USF still has plenty of spaces that either need updating and a few they can expand to as well?

Every good park needs a decent sized body of water. For example, look at DHS. The only body of water in the whole park is pretty tiny, possibly going away, and the park sucks.

Water also helps keep the parks a tad bit cooler and add a tiny sense of realism to parks filled with fantasy.
Exactly. Plus it creates a soothing ambiance and kind of unifies the park. These are the types of extras that makes the difference between a Six Flags concrete park and a true Theme Park. I'd much rather Universal expand to the area between & beyond MIB/Simpsons or eliminate a sound stage than drain the lagoon......Islands of Adventure wouldn't be IOA if you drained that lake. Plus the beauty of the park would suffer greatly.

I don't find it a dumb idea at all. They legally just can't do it because of building code. those lagoons are retention ponds because of all the land that was built on for the parks and backstage area.

I don't find it a dumb idea at all. They legally just can't do it because of building code. those lagoons are retention ponds because of all the land that was built on for the parks and backstage area.

You beat me to it. I was just going to say it depends on the water management plan that is in place with St. Johns. This may be a retention pond and might have to be a certain size. While they may be able to borrow a little bit of it, they probably could not get rid of it all together. Again, depends on the water management plant. Florida is much different than many states. Retention ponds are required every so often. It is why so many homes have a "water view" because when developers go to develop land they need to keep a certain % as conservation (swamp land) and a certain % as retention ponds. They can't just pave over the entire piece of land and build whatever they want.

Reactions: Ryno27
I wouldn't, I hate that area, but only because it is a huge smoking area. So I never can really enjoy it and just walk past as quickly as possible :)
What I wouldn't mind is for them to widen the path from Hollywood over towards the KidsZone area. It's far to small of a pathway for the amount of crowds the park draws now, especially during HHN.

Are people seriously campaigning for less water in the park? No. No. No. Bodies of water in a theme park are necessary. One of the biggest design flaws of DHS is that Echo Lake is the only body of water it has.
I think part of the lagoon could be lost by the NY section and it would still be fine. It's a large lagoon.
DHS' problem is there's no area that stands out besides the Chinese theater and Echo Lake is too small. Theme parks need large bodies of water to balance the park out from being a concrete wasteland.

Future World largely suffers from the same thing. Of course that's Disney's fault. The park wasn't always like that.

Anyone ever heard of porous asphalt?

This could be a technology that the parks will hopefully utilize in the near future. It completely wipes out the need for retention ponds (a miracle in the state of Florida).

edit: I've also seen videos where they utilize a "stone brick" type of porous material that acts in the same way, meaning you could re-pave sidewalks and concrete slabs with something other than asphalt. Even more opportunity!

That's great and all but I want water in my theme parks.

I agree and do NOT want the lagoon gone, in either park. But this is more for future expansion and being able to clear up roads and land backstage without any worries of runoff and flooding if they were built sans retention pond.

I agree and do NOT want the lagoon gone, in either park. But this is more for future expansion and being able to clear up roads and land backstage without any worries of runoff and flooding if they were built sans retention pond.
I agree, this would be ideal if Uni were to go this route to replace the backstage retention ponds so they can expand.