Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

Fallon is ridiculously on-brand, unlike Colbert and O'Brien, so this is a safe, synergy friendly bet for NBC. However, it just seems so odd having a 'real person' as the theme of a ride. Imagine if Fallon was caught up in some sort of tabloid drugs and sex scandal.

I mean, this is basically going to be Soarin'-like. If something like that happened, Uni could close the ride, whip up a new film, and it wouldn't cost all that much money.

So, questions for anyone who may know:

How are they filming this? Will it be largely CGI or will they actually fly a drone or something through NYC?
Now idk, but they definitely can't do the Soarin' route of doing it by helicopter since it's NYC and I imagine the ride as flying through tight spaces and streets. So I can see them doing it partially by drone and partially CGI, but we'll see.

The only current SNL cast member worth considering is Keenan Thompson (he has a history at USF from his All-That days too). But really, I think it should be former SNL celebs that have made it big.

As an aside, am I the only one that thinks the name is incredibly cheesy?

No I agree that it should be former , well known, SNL celebrities, but they cost a lot more money.

You guys do realize that DISNEY has a ride featuring Aerosmith, who are old, and will die sooner than later. They have also been involved with drugs and other things that aren't really PR friendly. That didn't stop Disney...lol.

at least they didn't make a Bill Cosby ride.

Now idk, but they definitely can't do the Soarin' route of doing it by helicopter since it's NYC and I imagine the ride as flying through tight spaces and streets. So I can see them doing it partially by drone and partially CGI, but we'll see.

There is precident. There was an attraction at the original World Trade Center called "Manhattan Magic" that had a lot of helicopter video from NYC.

I don't know much about Jimmy Fallon, but I'm looking forward to going on this new experience, as Twister was not worth the time of day. At the very worst, this will be a like for like replacement in terms of how much I want to do it, so there's nothing to lose but potentially a nice ride to gain. On top of Volcano Bay, and F&F, 2017 is looking like a great year for the resort.

Wonder what will come to Islands in 2017-2018 with so much planned for the studios though, with Nintendo on the horizon.

Wonder what will come to Islands in 2017-2018 with so much planned for the studios though, with Nintendo on the horizon.
I would think the Avengers ride would come somewhere around that timeframe (more towards 2018-19).

I have a feeling something Cat in the Hat related is on the horizon for IOA as well, but that's just educated guessing on my part.

I'm not sure what to think yet. I do think Universal can do better with real people than Disney, meaning they are usually much faster at refreshing attractions before they get stale.

I see this being open for 5-6 years then they can move on to something else, and probably keep the ride system in place.

It doesn't help the idea of sitting in front of a screen bouncing around attractions that are all over the front of the park already.

I would think the Avengers ride would come somewhere around that timeframe (more towards 2018-19).

I have a feeling something Cat in the Hat related is on the horizon for IOA as well, but that's just educated guessing on my part.

Without meaning to get off track too much, I've always thought the Grinch would provide Universal an opportunity to do a family coaster with 'Disney level' theming ala Thunder Mountain. Round up that section of the park quite nicely at the moment it's a skip through for us.

I'm pessimistic on the ride experience, facade should look good.

The blog post was written by Jason Surrell, who while working at WDI wrote the Stitchs Supersonic Celebration show. So yeah. There's that.

Without meaning to get off track too much, I've always thought the Grinch would provide Universal an opportunity to do a family coaster with 'Disney level' theming ala Thunder Mountain. Round up that section of the park quite nicely at the moment it's a skip through for us.

I would expect Seuss Landing to get some additions/major overhauls once the Illumination Cat in the Hat/Grinch movies come out.

I'm not sure what to think yet. I do think Universal can do better with real people than Disney, meaning they are usually much faster at refreshing attractions before they get stale.

I see this being open for 5-6 years then they can move on to something else, and probably keep the ride system in place.

It doesn't help the idea of sitting in front of a screen bouncing around attractions that are all over the front of the park already.
Shrek needs to go. It, as a sim, is nonsensical.

The blog post was written by Jason Surrell, who while working at WDI wrote the Stitchs Supersonic Celebration show. So yeah. There's that.
Hopefully he isn't too involved with the script and they can get some of Jimmy's writers to help with that. The part i'm worried about is if he's the lead on the actual experience/creative side of things. Ugh.

I would hope that NBC/UOR puts up the bucks for a "larger" , well known celebrity. My guess, it will probably be current SNL cast members, as they work for peanuts at NBC and are starved for publicity.

I know someone brought up the issue of Jimmy Fallon becoming out dated..I think who ever they use as a "guest" probably risks an even higher chance of becoming obsolete. Can you imagine if this ride was built in the 90s and Pauly Shore was the guest?
Oh man how awesome would it be to have a Soarin clone complete with hang gliders. Big billboard of him with his hair all crazy strapped in with the title under his legs "Hangin with the Weez!"

Not to mention....

Animal Actors Stage: Babe Out West - USJ